Thread: Winter driving in Washington state?

Winter driving in Washington state?

Hey guys,

This winter will be my first with the Marauder. I was just wondering what you guys do during the winter months. We live quite close and winter conditions are practically the same here in BC. I do have the option of driving a "winter beater" so I may do that. Any salt or rust issues for you in Washington state?

Thanks.
    2003 300A
    Built: 10/22/02
    XCal2 by Lidio
    K&N CAI #63-1111
    Steeda Underdrive Pulleys
    Stewart EMP Water pump
    Stainless Works long tube headers
    Random Tech high flow cats
    Super 44's
    Megs delete tips
    OEM Spoiler
    Progard
    Duplicolor red calipers
    20% Tint
    14.46 @ 97.08

5799 of 7839
    Made in Canada

They do not salt the roads here, however they do use a chemical de-icer and sand. The de-icer can affect the finish on aluminum wheels if not cleaned soon after driving. However, a good polishing after the snow is gone will make them good as new, if not better. I still recommend immediate cleaning if driven in the snow. Check your local dept. of transportation website, or call them up if you cannot find the info pertaining to your area. Good luck!
    -Jonathan McClain
    -EVOOA Member# 1337
    -2003 Mercury Marauder DBP/LF (heated seats)
    -2003 Mercury Marauder BLK/DC (former tribal police unit)
    -2003 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport DBP/LF (Stiegemeier worked AED S/C build in progress)
    -2007 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor MT/DC "DRAGNET" (HiTech Stage 2 cams, etc. in progress)
    -2016 Volkswagen Passat V6 SEL Premium BLK/BLK (LED/Technology Package)

I was stationed in Tacoma for two years in the 80's. It snowed twice.
    It melted shortly thereafter.

If you folks out there did have a big snow on that coast I am not sure if folks would know what to do with themselves!

Around here, 3' is not uncommon. The Marauder with BFG's is a death trap. Rust is the least of your worries.
    2017 Niro

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    Quote Originally Posted by CRUZTAKER View Post

If you folks out there did have a big snow on that coast I am not sure if folks would know what to do with themselves!

They close schools if the roads get a dusting.
    Member Number 32

Originally posted by TripleTransAm
    An interesting side note: this isn't the same forum I used to post on for years, and I've been doing a lot of reading over the past 48 hours on both sites. Looks like there's been a serious splintering. I never thought it'd be possible for this to happen to a group of owners of a car model that sold no more than 14000 copies over 2 model years. Kind of scary, when thinking of the scale. Makes one think that maybe it'd be a good idea to do some introspection and think about what each of us needs to do to build a solid community, analyze what it is we're all honestly looking for by belonging to this community.

Use The Beater

I am coming up on my third winter here with the MM and never had a problem yet.....and yes it is my daily driver...... I keep her cleaned up and store inside when not in use.....seems like I wash every other day in the winter months

I do have another car but I only drive it when it snows or the roads are iced over....just mainly out of fear of getting hit by someone else...people freak out around here if it snows more than a half an inch...and if the roads have ice on them you'll see people in the ditch everywhere

Does anyone remember a winter or so back, '05-'06, when a plane skidded off the runway at Midway in Chicago and went out into the street? Yeah, that was my first winter with my MM and I actually was passing people who got stuck changing lanes in a foot or more of snow piled up between lanes. Changed lanes myself and never got stuck on those same roads, and I was using the stock BFGs. This was the same storm cell that nailed Midway, and the plane skidded off while I was driving. I dunno... I had an easy time in the snow until this last winter, but that was only because I didn't realize how bald my rear tires were. I could barely get the car to go anywhere. It was like driving my old Lincoln... I could drive that car through anything and never get stuck. Except when it skidded into a snow filled ditch. Again, bald tires, but I was broke at the time and couldn't afford them, being a college student and all (was only making ~$300/mo).

I just use my 95 GM with a little (old school) weight (150 lbs) added as close the rear axle as possible. With traction control up to 25 mph it does OK and is my snow car that once or twice a season it gets snowy around here.
    Blue 2003 MM 300B
    #6671 of 7838 - #99 of 328 DPB
    Born 02/04/03 - Bought 10/31/03
    Light Flint Heated Seats
    35% Tint - McGards
    Trunk & Hood Liners
    Lidio Tune

Quote Originally Posted by whoskal View Post
    I am coming up on my third winter here with the MM and never had a problem yet.....and yes it is my daily driver...... I keep her cleaned up and store inside when not in use.....seems like I wash every other day in the winter months

I do have another car but I only drive it when it snows or the roads are iced over....just mainly out of fear of getting hit by someone else...people freak out around here if it snows more than a half an inch...and if the roads have ice on them you'll see people in the ditch everywhere
    Yep, sounds like Vancouver(BC), one bit of snow or ice and its fender bender city all over the news...
    2003 300A
    Built: 10/22/02
    XCal2 by Lidio
    K&N CAI #63-1111
    Steeda Underdrive Pulleys
    Stewart EMP Water pump
    Stainless Works long tube headers
    Random Tech high flow cats
    Super 44's
    Megs delete tips
    OEM Spoiler
    Progard