Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Major issues?

JHD7001 Guest

Major issues?

Hello List,

I know I'm just a newbie still & don't have my MM yet (T-Minus 30 days max IF I do it) but everyone from a friend of a friend, etc down to the local Ford dealer is trying to warn me about major issues with these cars. *Nothing* specific, though.

I see nothing here in this forum but the typical FoMoCo stuff (former 65 Stang, 83 T-Bird, 88 Fox 5.0, 93 Lightning, 93 Mark VIII, current F150 owner). You guys wouldn't overlook major issues with these cars because you like them so much, would you?

What's with these people? Jealous? In denial because they want one?

Jason, cruising the LM dealers of Central Florida, so far only finding one idiot in Kissimmee who tonight said how rare they are & that I'd be lucky if he could find me one at sticker price + ADP (Additional Dealer Profit)

*Every One* loves to buy, *No One* wants to be sold.

only major issue lately is that they must have bull's eye on them...as many as are getting T boned...paint quality has been the biggest issue on this site IMHO...besides salesman that is...
    ---------------------------------------
    2003 Marauder BLACK
    SS inserts
    Addco sway bars
    JLT CAI
    4.10's
    MO's custom tune
    275 rwhp/303 lbs. torque

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    No "major" issues that I know of. I wouldn't believe a friend of a friend who doesn't own one, that's for sure.
    Ford dealers that aren't also Mercury dealers do tend to be kind of jealous, I've noticed that. They have nothing at all comparable to sell you.
    Member Number 32

Originally posted by TripleTransAm
    An interesting side note: this isn't the same forum I used to post on for years, and I've been doing a lot of reading over the past 48 hours on both sites. Looks like there's been a serious splintering. I never thought it'd be possible for this to happen to a group of owners of a car model that sold no more than 14000 copies over 2 model years. Kind of scary, when thinking of the scale. Makes one think that maybe it'd be a good idea to do some introspection and think about what each of us needs to do to build a solid community, analyze what it is we're all honestly looking for by belonging to this community.

The only "major issues" that I've seen/heard are from folks who just don't get it.

I challenge you to find a better all around car for the price. Post it here.

I stopped into a Ford dealer in Northeast Philadelphia today and the salesmen "where did you get that car from?" When I told them what is was they said they did not know Mercury had a car like that? Talk about dumb.

Anyway there have been no major issues with the car.
    If you need help finding one just ask.
    Member # 383.

2003 Marauder Black.

Build 8/13/02

Launched 9/28/02

Sold May 16, 2018

#3,646 of 7,839 black '03

1995 Ford F-150. Mark III 2wd, reg. cab

2011 F-150 Lariat crew cab 4X4 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost

Fate rarely call upon us at a monent of our choosing.

http://www.usdebtclock.org/index.html

WolfeBros Guest
    Originally posted by TAF
    I challenge you to find a better all around car for the price. Post it here.
    I stand with Brother Todd on this one. There is nothing else out there folks that can do what this car can for the money ......plain and simple.

JHD7001 Guest
    I concur with both of you, that's my one argument no one has been able to dispute.

I'm on the hunt.

Marauder57 Guest
    First off the body and the engine have been workhorses for the FMC for a long, long, time.....so major problems are BS. Like any American car it will have it's problems...but it is some kind of car....and with the incentives...you will not find a better car for the money...

I got mine at Central Florida LM....last time I was there about 45 days ago they had 8 Black MM's in stock...just not moving them...just about all were builty 2002.....they would do a good deal I would think....I did pretty well with mine.

The guys in Kissimee have had the same black one for months...at least 6 and know nothing about the car....I shopped them and clearly knew more than them....

CFLM got me a blue from another dealer....ordered a Silver for someone else....the people there are not the greatest I have ever met....they are car dealers...But they want to move cars...and they will want to move those MM's....the Sales Manager there is named Michealangelo...You will be able to get him to invoice minus incentives which should put you at 28,000 ish pretty quick...then you could probably beat him down a bit more with time....

PM me if you have any questions....I have bugged him a couple of times with some stuff and he remembers me....our negotiations got pretty heated.....but I got 0% financing....so not too bad......

The smaller dealerships in the suburbs of Orlando, Eustis, Kissimmee, and others...don't get out much and they think the MM is gold......CFLM and Longwood have sold them and had them sit.....

If you go through the forum you will find out all the "bad" things that can happen....which are pretty minimal....

Good luck...you will get one....

TripleTransAm Guest
    Originally posted by Marauder57
    First off the body and the engine have been workhorses for the FMC for a long, long, time.....so major problems are BS.

You bring up an interesting point I've been debating with others. While it's been confirmed that most of the Marauder is a combination of existing hardware from other platforms, I think a lot of the problems come from the fact that these components have never been together on a single vehicle before.

For example, my dreaded harness situation... one would think this might have plagued CVs and Marquis for a decade, but the reality is that this is the first time the BigA$$ (tm) DOHC motor's been stuffed into that engine bay. Consequently, you have wire routing issues, etc. Same with the rear popping... all existing components in the suspension but now having to deal with huge heavy wheels with even heavier tires and different shocks, and probably different ride height too.

On my way in to work this morning, I passed a new Lincoln Town Car. I really like the styling for 2003. What I didn't like (when I test drove one in San Diego last January) was the lackluster engine and floppy/jiggly suspension. I got to thinking:

Wasn't there a time when the largest and most luxurious full-size cars were the ones to usually benefit from the manufacturer's strongest engine? Seems this was the philosophy in the 50s 60s and even the 70s. Where did we go wrong? The most successful modern European and Japanese luxury cars still seem to offer this capability... look at the high HP top-of-the-line Mercedes, etc. Seems to me it would make sense to offer a S/C Cobra engine on the Town Car... the only reason I can think of as to why it's not happening is perhaps CAFE ratings? Still, the *others* can do it...

I'll speak for dealerships since I work at one. Many people here don't keep up with what is out there. I keep up because I like to know what is out there. Sometimes our own salesmen don't know stuff about the cars they do sell. You just need to find the right people in the dealership to ask. Usually service or parts. As for recalls the media finds out before I do.

As for major issues I don't have any. I did have a shifter adjustment and going to get my crossmember looked at since I get a clunk under the car on throttle changes. I may get my guy to look into any reflashed of the processor, too. As for the previously mentioned paint I only have a spot or two on the sheet metal that I'm not thrilled with but the mouldings are another question. I may wait a little awhile and get it repainted right or change the color if they still crank them out.

I have seen listings for the Maroon grille in my catalogs but haven't seen any word that they are still making them. It's as fuzzy as most FoMoCo issues.
    2003 Mercury Marauder
    300A Built on 6/20/2002
    #1777 of 7839

Re: Major issues?

Hi JHD

Well if you buy a Marauder the Ford Salesman doesn't make any money, so he going to knock the car.

You'll always find people who will be jealous no matter what!

I love the car and would buy another if they where going to be around in 3 to 5 years, but I don't think that's going to happen.
    2003 Marauder 300A Owner
    Born 6/2/02
    Came home with me home 6/24/02
    [img]

"I love the car and would buy another if they where going to be around in 3 to 5 years, but I don't think that's going to happen"

That's exactly the reason I bought one now, while I can still get one! Otherwise in 2 years I will wish I hadda!
    Ex Marauder owner,
    May 5th, 2003, March Bought new
    February 2007, Installed Trilogy,
    March 30th, 2011, sold to a great home.

Great car, great people, great times, wonderful memories.

Originally posted by EbonyMarauder03
    I'll speak for dealerships since I work at one. Many people here don't keep up with what is out there. I keep up because I like to know what is out there. Sometimes our own salesmen don't know stuff about the cars they do sell. You just need to find the right people in the dealership to ask. Usually service or parts. As for recalls the media finds out before I do.

As for major issues I don't have any. I did have a shifter adjustment and going to get my crossmember looked at since I get a clunk under the car on throttle changes. I may get my guy to look into any reflashed of the processor, too. As for the previously mentioned paint I only have a spot or two on the sheet metal that I'm not thrilled with but the mouldings are another question. I may wait a little awhile and get it repainted right or change the color if they still crank them out.

I have seen listings for the Maroon grille in my catalogs but haven't seen any word that they are still making them. It's as fuzzy as most FoMoCo issues.
    SILVER/300B ONE OF 418 (RE-CONTENTING)
    35%TINT
    CONSOLE MOUNT DVD-MP3-PLAYER TV & TRUNK MOUNT VCP PLAYER
    7.0 INCH COLOR FLIP DOWN SCREEN
    HEATED SEATS
    CARGO ORGANIZER
    FACTORY TRUNK MOUNT 6 CD
    SUPERCHIPS TUNED
    SILVER STARS
    V-1 RADAR DETECTOR
    KENWOODS X4
    XM RADIO
    *LOOKING FOR A DEAL ON A "Trilogy Supercharger"*

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    TTA

"huge heavy wheels "

I don't have actual weights to go on, but it seems to me our forged aluminum wheels are lighter than the 16" steel wheels used on the regular CV and GMs.

You are correct on engines. There was a time that the smallest engine in a Mercury was the largest engine in a Ford.
    Lincolns usually had their own large engines.
    Todays Town Car should really have had a 4.6 DOHC or 5.4 (maybe even the V10) from the start.
    Member Number 32

Originally posted by TripleTransAm
    An interesting side note: this isn't the same forum I used to post on for years, and I've been doing a lot of reading over the past 48 hours on both sites. Looks like there's been a serious splintering. I never thought it'd be possible for this to happen to a group of owners of a car model that sold no more than 14000 copies over 2 model years. Kind of scary, when thinking of the scale. Makes one think that maybe it'd be a good idea to do some introspection and think about what each of us needs to do to build a solid community, analyze what it is we're all honestly looking for by belonging to this community.

JDH - Test drive the MM and you will be hooked. Members of this board have gotten some good prices lately. Check other threads on what members paid.
    2003 Marauder 300B,
    6468 out of 7839 - Thanks Brian
    Heated Seats
    35% Tint
    Mercury All Weather Mats
    Trunk Organizer - Thanks MartyO
    Sold 4/3/2009 Now resides in AL.
    1961 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible
    1973 Oldsmobile Toronado
    2012 Kia Sedona Van
    2008 Corvette Convertible
    2003 Marauder 300 A Thanks Larry O 6/14/17