Thread: How to get STUD out of frame???

How to get STUD out of frame???

I was installing the Addco Frt Swaybay and was done lining up the right side bolts, so now on to the left side. Well to make a long story short one of the studs on the right side went into the frame... HOW THE H*** DO I GET IT OUT?

Anybody!!!

Small magnet on a rod like you can buy from the parts places....Ought to be able to fish it right out but don't drive around or you may lose it forever!!

Marauderjack
    No Marauder

Quote Originally Posted by Marauderjack View Post
    Small magnet on a rod like you can buy from the parts places....Ought to be able to fish it right out but don't drive around or you may lose it forever!!

Marauderjack
    ^^^

What he said. I don't think there's too much of a magic trick unfortunately. Magnets can help drag the stud inside the frame member to an access hole. Small needlenose pliers, or long pliable rods can help push it around when reachable from a hole in the frame.

If it's lost for good you may need another or take one of them to a parts store and try to find a matching bolt (grade 8) to get the job done.

I dropped a relay into a subframe on a pontiac once, never got it back.

If the stud is accessible though you can most likely get it, just be patient, and be creative with what tools you use to help pull it out.
    Trilogy #112 (self installed)

- Trilogy S/C (Stock pulley/tune) - 4.10's - JLT - SS Inserts - 4" Megs -

12.99@106.2mph (for now)

I think it may be lost forever. There is NO acess hole for at least 12" or so, and it's a the top of the frame. Would need a Flex of some sort with a small magnet. Can't figure how that bolt was not secure like the rest. Well three are lined and loosely tightend. I'll see at daylight. S***!!!

Leon,

You can try a large magnet...drag it slowly down the frame toward the hole it came from....that may bring it close enough to pull it back through??

If you get a new bolt how do you plan on getting it in there if there are no holes nearby?? I have used "Fish Wires" for trailer hitches but you have to have an access hole to start with!!!

Marauderjack
    No Marauder

I just got off the line with the parts guy. It's a stud with a retaining clip mount, the clip fits the hole with the stud / bolt. It comes ina pack of 4 for $12.08. Here's the part # 3W1Z5E490-AA. I'll just go ahead and buy the pack, with the car on up on blocks I think the stud moved back towards the wheel. I tried the hanger method can't tell if it's moving anything, can't find a small magnet and if I did, it would stick to the inside of the frame.

Thread Information