Thread: Interior light question

Interior light question

For some reason when I turn my car off, the interior light stays on for what seems like 5 minutes after. I didn't change anything with the switch of anything like that. Why would this randomly start happening? It's really annoying if I plan on sitting in the car for a few mins at night. The light just sits on. Let me know if I should change something or if its normal. It never did this when I first had the car!

Seems like a switch on one of the doors is broken. Does the light stay on when you are in the car?

yes it does, thats whats really annoying about it. it turns off after like 5 minutes of being on. Did I change something and not realize it?

Check to see if the dimmer switch for the interior lights works, the one under the headlight switch. I'll post the LCM pinpoint test when I get a chance.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Sounds like one for your door switches are shorted...It turns off after @ 5 min. because of the "Save Battery" function...Car thinks the door(s) are still open...

Good Luck...

ALOHA

'03 A Build Date 8/02
    F.I.T. #6 ***RESURRECTED***
    *444 RWHP / 401 RWTQ
    *10 lbs. Boost
    *P1SC1 ProCharger
    *SCT Tuned *SCT Big Air 2400 MAF *BAP *GT 40 Fuel Pump *Modified FPDM *SSW Headers *MMX Drive Shaft *Metco Drive Shaft Loop *Metco Control Arms *T/A Stud Girdle w/ Diff Cover *Addco Sway Bars 3,500 Stall B/C Auto. Torque Converter *J-Mod *Wilwood 13" Big Brake Kit *Brembo Drilled/Slotted Rotors (Rear) *Widened Rims w/ 295 Nitto 555 *Autometer Wide Band A/F

When I turn on my car...It returns the favor

Quote Originally Posted by Local Boy View Post
    Sounds like one for your door switches are shorted...It turns off after @ 5 min. because of the "Save Battery" function...Car thinks the door(s) are still open...

Good Luck...

ALOHA

Exactly

Another possibility is that water freezes on the switch, but it is very unlikely. Chances are it is the drivers front door since you use that the most...when the light is off tonite, open your passenger door and close it. See if the light turns off, try it again on another door, and another...get the idea? good luck

is it supposed to turn off right away after the door shuts? That's what it used to do. I don't use it in the winter so I haven't been in it in months. Can't wait for the spring!

Yes, with the car on they are supposed to dim to off when the door closes.

Quote Originally Posted by Marauder281 View Post
    is it supposed to turn off right away after the door shuts? That's what it used to do. I don't use it in the winter so I haven't been in it in months. Can't wait for the spring!

Temperature Related

I had this same problem on my 99 CV, but it was related to temperature. One of the door switches would stick when it got cold (like 20F or lower) and I would drive around with the interior lights on, which makes night driving more interesting.

Because the car was so old and I didn't want to get into troubleshooting the switches in the cold, I took the dome lamp bulbs out. Problem solved.
    2003 300B BLUE (stolen for 9 days)
    PI 3000 TC, 4:10 gear + girdle, Dynotech Driveshaft,
    bulletproof trans, 2nd trans cooler + deep pan & Redline D4 ATF
    Steeda UDs, Rear engine cooling kit, Denso plugs, high capacity oil filter on frame, Reinhart superchip
    + gauges, SilverStars, & fire extinguisher

2008 GMC Envoy SLT
    2006 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab/8' Bed; 21.5' long

thank god it doesn't do that while I'm driving, only after I shut the door. I've seen that before. it's really embarassing!

Thread Information