Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: GT Pump vs. Stock Fuel Pump & Alternator Tips

Exclamation GT Pump vs. Stock Fuel Pump & Alternator Tips

This may be trivial info, but I thought it was relevant to High Horsepower cars.

Before switching to the GT Pump, I watched my Duty Cycle on the ScanGauge. It was between 28-32 just cruising around.
    After I switched to the GT Pump, the Duty Cycle dropped to 17-19

I may be speaking Greek, but thats HUGE... in a good way!

When you reach 100% Duty Cycle at WOT, your pump is maxed out.

Another thing I did in preparation of my Dyno Tune tomorrow is swap the clutched alternator pulley for a standard model. This will send 14+ Volts to the fuel pump at WOT vs. Battery Voltage only.
    Part # for the pulley is: F5OY-10344-F from Ford. You will need a different alternator pulley nut which can be hard to find. I suggest a local electrical shop that rebuilds alternators. If you dont have the tool to get the clutched pulley off, use an air chisel to unthread it.....it works quite well..

Also.. you can bypass swapping the pulley altogether by tach welding the 2 piece clutched pulley together. Simply take the car to a welder, pop the cap on the pulley, tach it up and go! No more Voltage loss at WOT.

Hope this was helpful

The clutched alternator pulley is just a one-way clutch to prevent belt chirp due to overspinning of the pulley.

It works like a 10 speeds bicycle's rear hub...you can power it one way, but it free wheels the other way.

I've got the one-way clutched alternator and would NOT change it, nor weld it together.
    If you run the alternator mounted backwards (like a Trilogy install) then you must replace the clutched pulley.

The charging at WOT function is handled by the computer.

BTW: Good update on the GT fuel pump. I've got to order one from Ray The Dealer soon.
    2020 Ford Ranger STX DFI Turbo 2.3L 10 speed Auto
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)
    1984 Mustang GT 2.3 Turbo Convertible FI. 5 speed manual
    1966 427 Cobra (ERA) 468 all Aluminum FE 2x4bbl 5 speed manual

SOLD : 2003 Mercury Marauder FI. 4 speed Auto
    w/Crower Cams & Springs, +1mm SS valves, mild port job on the cylinder heads.
    Extrude honed intake w/PHP spacer.
    Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    SVO Rearend Girdle, Redline Gear lube; OEM 3.55s
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge
    Built: 10/15/02 Bought: 12/16/02 Sold: 10/15/18

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Walsh View Post
    The clutched alternator pulley is just a one-way clutch to prevent belt chirp due to overspinning of the pulley.

It works like a 10 speeds bicycle's rear hub...you can power it one way, but it free wheels the other way.

I've got the one-way clutched alternator and would NOT change it, nor weld it together.
    If you run the alternator mounted backwards (like a Trilogy install) then you must replace the clutched pulley.

The charging at WOT function is handled by the computer.

BTW: Good update on the GT fuel pump. I've got to order one from Ray The Dealer soon.
    Yes it is. As far as I know, the SCT software cant override it. I tried doing it in the software with no luck. Jerry W. Had to hook up his 'Black Box' back in 03 to override it.
    I do know swapping pulleys remedies the problem.

Hey Trilogy guys, does your voltage drop at WOT?

The Trilogy guys also have the tool that removes the clutch puuley from the alternator.
    (#6178 in black per FPIC)
    Call 1-800-FORD-788 and press "1". Have the last 6 of your VIN handy. You will get the numbers for FREE. You'll pay $$$ for the certificate.

MM traded in 8/9/13 @ 128909 miles. It was fun for almost 8 years. I met airmercpun on 1/17/14. He was the new owner of my former ride. -Now gone.

Update: back in the game with a late build 03 GMGS with some MM add ons like Escape audiophile radio w/Sirius sat radio, rear sway bar, catback exhaust, and header panel.

Rest In Peace:
    Alex "Marauderboi" Vachon 3/2/92-8/13/10
    Paula Babineau 1/9/67-8/2/11
    Rex Weinbender
    Peter

See my garage file for part numbers and whatnot.

IMHO, this site- the members that I chat with- and the ones that I now Hang with- are like my 2nd family. There is such an ongoing welcome feeling here that even members who don't or no longer own the MM can feel.

Whats the price for the gt fuel pump?

Quote Originally Posted by DR. DOOM View Post
    Whats the price for the gt fuel pump?
    About $90

Please discuss the alternator pulley in more detail.
    If Im wrong about it, thats fine! Id rather get the straight scoop sooner than later.

I have no voltage drop at WOT that I have noticed.
    But then again I drive her like I'm an old lady.
    04 Crown Victoria Sport

2008 Harley Davidson Nightrain- sold....

2016 Harley Davidson Street Glide - Olive Gold

1995 F150 4x2 4.9 5spd

1995 Schwinn High Plains 21 speed, custom gearing.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...ad.php?t=16262

I found this old post composed by you Joe

I can agree with the clutch and how it works, but if the clutch is freewheeling at WOT, that means the alternator is not spinning, regardless of the PCM controlling it or not.

Does that make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...ad.php?t=16262

I found this old post composed by you Joe

I can agree with the clutch and how it works, but if the clutch is freewheeling at WOT, that means the alternator is not spinning, regardless of the PCM controlling it or not.

Does that make sense?
    Is the clutch just one way or is it electromagnetically controlled as well? If that were the case, the computer could "energize" the clutch on and off at will.

I'm only running 2 gauges at teh moment oil pressure and boost and no scanguage I cannot comment much, I suppose I could datalog the Xcal2 maybe that'd give some insight.

EDIT: NM I read the post that it's not electromagnetic but fully mechanical.
    Last edited by Breadfan; 03-11-2008 at 08:29 AM.
    Trilogy #112 (self installed)

- Trilogy S/C (Stock pulley/tune) - 4.10's - JLT - SS Inserts - 4" Megs -

12.99@106.2mph (for now)

The clutch is mechanically driven only.

Here's my argument:

On a blower car, at the dragstrip or on the freeway...
    If you go WOT for extended periods of time, that alternator clutch will be freewheeling the entire time.
    That means that over the course of the WOT run, the actual 'guts' of the alternator will be slowing down or eventually stop altogether! Which ultimately leaves you with battery voltage and nothing more.

Im happy I switched to a regular pulley, I will adjust the tune so the PCM commands the alternator to make at least 13-13.5 volts at WOT.

If the only reason is for increased belt life and/or no chirping I'd say for a performance minded MM you'd be better off. I see your logic too on a S/C car getting a pump voltage drop at WOT could result in a less fuel flow when you need it.

I suppose this would be built into the tune since it would be tuned on WOT runs as well, but after several times or with a weak battery you could end up with low voltage/low flow.

If the clutched pulley is gone though, what advantage is there in stopping the alternator? If I read the link right, the computer just sort of shuts it off, so in theory even with a non-clutched pulley the PCM could turn off the alternator.

What sort of benefit would that be, without freewheeling it, you'd still need to turn the mass of the alternator just you wouldn't be getting any juice from it. Or is there less parasitic loss if it's not switched "on"?

12.99@106.2mph (for now)

The clutched pulley adds to the "sinisterness" and "coolness" of the car. I like it when my lights go dim when I mash it. The premiss behind the design was to free up some extra RWHP at WOT. I'm not sure how much RWHP an alternator eats up, but hey, we're talking Ford Engineering here.
    300A
    born 08-27-02
    Adjusted air in and air out.
    400+ timeslips.

When in doubt, GAS IT! This will either fix the problem, or end the suspense.

Wow, it's amazing that this is coming up again.

The clutched pulley is a one-way clutch. It will let the alternator spin FASTER than the pulley but never spin SLOWER than the pulley.

The light dimming or output voltage dropping at WOT is controlled by the PCM and it works in a totally different way. It simply turns off the field voltage so the alternator doesn't put out any voltage even though it is still spinning. That takes the electromagnetic load and therefore the mechanical load off the alternator to free up a wee bit more horsepower.

The reason for changing the pulley for Trilogy cars is that the alternator spins the opposite direction and the one-way clutch would constantly slip, never producing output voltage from the alternator.
    Last edited by FordNut; 03-11-2008 at 10:04 AM.
    Thanks to Darrin @ BC Automotive:
    $1800 and it was worse than when he started!

Brian (FordNut) FPG # 1458 of 7838
    03 MM 300A (Lotsa mods, 130k mi) was 303rwhp/318rwtq N/A
    then 476/410 D1SC ProCharged on stock block
    then 660/555 D1SC PC on 5.3 wet sleeved Teksid alum big bore stroker
    then 365/369 N/A on 5.3 wet sleeved Teksid alum big bore stroker
    Now 751/617 3.4L Whipple on 5.3 Boss5.0 iron big bore stroker

03 MM 300B Silver (Mostly stock, originally wife's car, 370k mi) FPG # 7053 of 7838 or 49 of 417 SB
    03 MM 300B Silver, Stock, wife's next one, 136k mi FPG # 7134 of 7838 or 89 of 417 SB
    04 MM Silver, Stock, on standby 85k mi, FPG # 1212 of 3214 or 432 of 997 SB
    01 F150 longbed
    01 F150 shortbed
    00 F150 4x4 stepside
    01 F150 4x4 7700
    68 Stang FB (70 351C 4V, 4 wheel discs, project car)

Mods listed here (some items not current): FordNut's Mods

OK, so an energized alternator takes more effort to spin than an unenergized one, I was wondering where the hp gains would be if you're still physically turning the unit!

12.99@106.2mph (for now)

Im confused

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information