Thread: THX-II Certified Audio System

THX-II Certified Audio System

My wife has a 2008 Lincoln MKZ with the built-ion navigation system and THX-II Certified Audio System. To take a quote from an article on premium sound packages “In the Lincoln, THX certification has been granted to a system that employs 10 satellite speakers, two powered subwoofers, and four 50-watt amplifiers. What's important to understand is that THX certification doesn't refer to a brand of equipment, it's a set of standards (including dispersion pattern, loudness, and distortion standards) that a system has to meet. The certification also requires that the vehicle meet certain noise, vibration, and harshness standards. If we are to nit-pick, the spectral balance sounds a tad bass heavy at times, and the bass is not totally free of distortion. Most of this, however, can be fixed by using the tone controls.”

My concern: I don’t hear heavy bass in this system. The bass seems suppressed even with the tone controls at maximum for bass. The subwoofer in my stock Marauder is heavier than the MKZ’s. Any suggestions? I have the feeling that if I take it to the dealer with a complaint I’ll get the “sounds alright to me” answer. Can the dealer test the audio system for correct output and tonal quality?

Thanks in advance.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by derik View Post
    My wife has a 2008 Lincoln MKZ with the built-ion navigation system and THX-II Certified Audio System. To take a quote from an article on premium sound packages “In the Lincoln, THX certification has been granted to a system that employs 10 satellite speakers, two powered subwoofers, and four 50-watt amplifiers. What's important to understand is that THX certification doesn't refer to a brand of equipment, it's a set of standards (including dispersion pattern, loudness, and distortion standards) that a system has to meet. The certification also requires that the vehicle meet certain noise, vibration, and harshness standards. If we are to nit-pick, the spectral balance sounds a tad bass heavy at times, and the bass is not totally free of distortion. Most of this, however, can be fixed by using the tone controls.”

My concern: I don’t hear heavy bass in this system. The bass seems suppressed even with the tone controls at maximum for bass. The subwoofer in my stock Marauder is heavier than the MKZ’s. Any suggestions? I have the feeling that if I take it to the dealer with a complaint I’ll get the “sounds alright to me” answer. Can the dealer test the audio system for correct output and tonal quality?

Thanks in advance.
    Don
    Look for the COMP feature, I believe for that system, just like the MM you have to tell the sub to turn on.

My MKZ does not have that kickass system.....
    But then again, Iain't paying for the car either.
    04 Crown Victoria Sport

2008 Harley Davidson Nightrain- sold....

2016 Harley Davidson Street Glide - Olive Gold

1995 F150 4x2 4.9 5spd

1995 Schwinn High Plains 21 speed, custom gearing.

I looked at a MKZ at the car show. I didn't fit inside.

From the looks of things to come I'm not going to fit in a MKS either.

I really hope they make the MKT.

Without changing the roof.

It also has the 600 watt THX II certified stereo.
    Last edited by Aren Jay; 03-19-2008 at 11:23 PM.

I typed MKZ... I should have typed MKX.... that's what I'm driving....
    Last edited by O's Fan Rich; 07-02-2008 at 08:44 AM.
    04 Crown Victoria Sport

2008 Harley Davidson Nightrain- sold....

2016 Harley Davidson Street Glide - Olive Gold

1995 F150 4x2 4.9 5spd

1995 Schwinn High Plains 21 speed, custom gearing.

Thread Information