Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Marauder Replacement Tire Buying Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Peace2Peep View Post
    Hey! I know it is only for us 2003 guys but what about the nitto nt555 255 45 18 and 295 45 18 rears combo(of course widened rear wheels)
    I've added another to do. Thanks!

question about tires... mine are severely screwed in the front and im looking for a cheap set.. I found a set for the front which are the hankook ventus ASRHO7's they are a 235/50/18 and the rears are a 255/55/18 can I go that big of a tire in the rear with factory wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by 4drpower View Post
    question about tires... mine are severely screwed in the front and im looking for a cheap set.. I found a set for the front which are the hankook ventus ASRHO7's they are a 235/50/18 and the rears are a 255/55/18 can I go that big of a tire in the rear with factory wheels?
    Yes you can.
    TCE
    Your one stop...for Wilwood brakes.

My Garage

sweet what about moving up on the fronts to a 235/55/18 or a 245/55/18 would it look gay? or would it work with no tire rub?

sweet what about moving up on the fronts to a 235/55/18 or a 245/55/18 would it look gay? or would it work with no tire rub?
    I can't say, I still use the stock fronts just because of their availability from Tire Rack. On sale now for $89, sort of hard to beat front stockers.
    Last edited by Blackmobile; 11-18-2008 at 01:31 PM.
    TCE

My Garage

hmmm I hate them damn BFG'S

Going on my fifth set of OEM's @70K , plus the winter tires for the three worst months.
    I have little to complain about, Had the first set of fronts replaced under warranty, for a shimmy.
    No, they are not top of the line Michelins, but they are a decent value.
    Great job on the tire info, red!
    hmmm I hate them damn BFG'S
    2004 Trilogy #93P 12.2@113 Built and stalled

holy mother of god, my buddy gave me a set of dunlop sp sport5000's and I put them up next to my front tire and it looks like a effin monster truck tire... its a 255/55/18 I think their off of a saab SUV haha thats prolly why

I found a set for the front which are the hankook ventus ASRHO7's they are a 235/50/18 and the rears are a 255/55/18 can I go that big of a tire in the rear with factory wheels?
    The RH07's come in 235/55R18, not 235/50R18 (link). Accordingly, these are taller than the stock fronts, and at that, almost an inch. Considering this and the fact that the RH07s are V rated (softer sidewall), I'd recommend against them as they will have significantly more deflection than the stock tires and consequently poorer handling. Concerning the rears, the 255/55R18 size is a common substitute (see the Common Combinations section of the tire guide) that are not significantly larger; they're only about .4 inches (loaded) taller and less than .4 inches wider.

Great reference. Thanks for putting this together. One suggestion if you think there are enough of us out there, is a new section for widened rear wheels and the tires that will work on them. I see you have this on the to do list - Add Nitto 555 widened rims option (255 45 18 and 295 45 18). My suggestion would be to expand to list other options for widened wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Windsor58 View Post
    Great reference. Thanks for putting this together. One suggestion if you think there are enough of us out there, is a new section for widened rear wheels and the tires that will work on them. I see you have this on the to do list - Add Nitto 555 widened rims option (255 45 18 and 295 45 18). My suggestion would be to expand to list other options for widened wheels.
    Thanks! I have a list together as I have helped other members look into wider options and am in the market now myself, but have yet to put it up there. The Nitto 555s are in the offline list and I will capture them on the wiki in the near future. In the meantime, everyone is welcome to edit the article and add their discoveries.

A couple of points since I'm scrambling to find replacement rears myself:

1. It looks like I'm going with the Kumho Ecsta STX. This will make 3 or 4 of us running those (myself, SWOOSH, centexmarauder, possibly others). Pending reports after some usage, perhaps they should be added to the database as a cost-effective all-season option? They are V speed rated, which is not ideal for Marauder use, but so are a few of the other tires on there. Otherwise all seems good.

2. The Hankook Ventus RH06 is, according to the fellow at my local tire shop, no longer in production (though there may still be some available depending on your area's warehousing situation, and they appear to still be available from eastcoasttire.com). He suggested that it was supplanted by the RH07, but I don't think that's the case--the AS RH07 seems to have a less aggressive design in both tread and sidewall, and is more of an OEM replacement tire judging by their web site.

3. Perhaps a note can be added for which tires are all-season and which are summer only? I would have gone with the Nitto 420S were it not for that pesky winter driving issue (though depending on the year, that may or may not be a factor here in the south...)

Thanks for putting together a great resource!
    Last edited by 96DiamondVIII; 12-11-2008 at 04:34 PM.

The day before yesterday I ordered from Tire Rack a pair of front OEM BFG KDWS in stock size 235/50 and a pair of General Grabber UHP in 255/55. Tire Rack refused to fulfill my order because of: combination of all season with summer tire compounds; different tread designs of asymmetrical vs. directional; and the differing tread pattern. All of these were described as making traction unpredictable, which they said is too dangerous for a performance car. I even tried to change the rear tire choice to another brand which was also asymmetrical tread design like the OEM fronts, but they said it was still a no-go. I placed my order over the internet, not by phone, and the combo was flagged and referred to their advisory area. I spoke with a guy named Roger. He was very helpful and friendly, even wnet to his supervisor, but at the end of the day they would not complete the order. They were worried about liability coming back to them if something bad happened.

They said I needed to order a set of four matching - all of which are more expensive of course.

I suppose if I had placed the order in separate pairs they would not have caught on? Just wanted to give you guys a heads up. I am now still deciding where to buy my tires/what size/tire combinations to use.
    Last edited by Paul; 12-18-2008 at 06:42 AM.
    2003 300B
    VIN: 677166, #6738 of 7839
    built: 2/13/03
    wrty start: 5/28/03
    69,810 miles @ adoption from Marauder57 02/21/07
    84,197 on 02/21/08
    95,776 on 02/21/09
    109,301 on 02/21/10
    121,447 on 02/21/11
    125,925 on 02/26/12
    130,375 on 01/01/13
    134,831 on 2/4/14
    149,441 on 2/24/18
    Dark Blue Pearl, #128 of 327

Inherited mods: 4.10's, 180 'stat, Addco Rear Sway Bar, Ceramic-coated Cobra Manifolds, DR's X-Pipe kit w/hi-flow cats, KVR X-Drilled Brake Rotors (rear), PI 3000 TC, DR's Tranny Upgrade 1.5, DR's Rear Engine Cooling Mod, Metal Matrix Drive Shaft, Zack-Mack Rear U&L Control Arms.

My mods: aluminum lower grill screen, tranny cooler, DR's NoIC Novi SL 1200 S/C kit self-installed 8/11-8/14/08, Zack's tranny tune, dyno tuned by Justin Starkey @ VMP Tuning: 447 RWHP/386 RWTQ. DDM 5000k HIDs, KB BAP w/upgraded wiring, RacerX modded FPDM, front springs cut 1.25 coils

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    The day before yesterday I ordered a pair of front OEM BFG KDWS in stock size 235/50 and a pair of General Grabber UHP in 255/55. Tire Rack refused to fulfill my order because of: combination of all season with summer tire compounds; different tread designs of asymmetrical vs. directional; and the differing tread pattern. All of these were described as making traction unpredictable, which they said is too dangerous for a performance car. I even tried to change the rear tire choice to another brand which was also asymmetrical tread design like the OEM fronts, but they said it was still a no-go. I placed my order over the internet, not by phone, and the combo was flagged and referred to their advisory area. I spoke with a guy named Roger. He was very helpful and friendly, even wnet to his supervisor, but at the end of the day they would not complete the order. They were worried about liability coming back to them if something bad happened.

They said I needed to order a set of four matching - all of which are more expensive of course.

I suppose if I had placed the order in separate pairs they would not have caught on? Just wanted to give you guys a heads up. I am now still deciding where to buy my tires/what size/tire combinations to use.
    I think I have a way around that issue, PM sent!

Ed
    TCE

My Garage

Quick question: some of the replacement 255/55 18 tires (Falken Ziex s/TZ-01 for example) are listed on some websites as "designed for SUV/Light truck"

I am copying and pasting this from Discount Tire Direct.com:
    "Falken Tire created the Ziex S/TZ specifically for light trucks and SUVs. Not only does the tire feature the stylish tread pattern so you can achieve maximum look for your truck, but they've managed to create the tire with high load carrying capacities - ensuring your safety as well. Going beyond looks and safety, this tire is one you can count on for up to 50,000 miles. And those two wide circumferential grooves move the water out of the way quickly and efficiently, avoiding dangerous hydroplaning.
    The Falken S/TZ-01 are listed on your Tire Replacement Guide (which is a godsend, btw!) and I guess I want to make sure that it'd be OK to purchase these tires even if they're listed under SUV/Light truck category?
    2003 Trilogy Supercharged Marauder

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information