Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Marauder Replacement Tire Buying Guide

Please see the attached PDF document in Post #1.
    MOK

|Administrator, MM.Net | International Director of Membership|

--------------------------

I don't brake for curves!

The eyes may be the doorway to the soul,

but the voice is the chariot to the heavens

copy, found it. thanks. v/r mark

It's that time yet again--not even 2 years after the last replacement and again I'm down to cord on the inner edge (really need to find a shop who will align to the proper specs, I've had 3 now tell me "can't be done.")

Any input on the Pirelli P-Zero Nero in the stock front size? The KDWS has gone comparatively stratospheric in price (lowest I'm seeing is $171 from Merchant's) and I can get the Pirellis for 148 each--I know it's only a $46 difference for the set but it merits consideration as I'm strapped for cash.

Also the Ecsta STX are still working like a champ on the back--considering the iffy tread life reputation for Kumho's, I'm impressed. Ecsta ASX could still be a contender but no one local seems to carry them and from Tire Rack after shipping they'd be almost as expensive as the BFG's.

You may even want to check craigslist local to see if there's any new or lightly used tires. I just got 4 Nitto Invos (for smokin in the 1/4 this summer) for $80. How do you use them also? Do you like to run them hard? Straight line? Hard cornering? See rain much?
    11.931 @ 116.33 (MT ET Streets)
    12.073 @ 118.43 (Nitto 555)

I love the smell of Nitromethane and rubber in the morning!
    Drag racers prayer:
    As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen

I have an 03 wo/TC and I run 255/55/18 all the way around and have for about 70K miles with no problem, 2 sets on 2nd set. I say turn the TC off and relearn tire rotation = more tread wear.
    ---------------------------------------
    2003 Marauder BLACK
    SS inserts
    Addco sway bars
    JLT CAI
    4.10's
    MO's custom tune
    275 rwhp/303 lbs. torque

^I can appreciate the practical benefits of that, but I think it would look a little odd to have that much rubber in the front wheelwells, plus lose the front-rear rake.

^^I'll have to check craigslist and ebay I suppose. I'm just looking for a good all-around tire--I have fun when I drive, but I don't absolutely flog it or do any sort of competition. Plus the car is my DD so I average 15-18k miles per year. We get fairly frequent rain, and in the winter we usually see snow and ice a couple of times each, so I want to stick with all season--not the best winter car to begin with!

Quote Originally Posted by 96DiamondVIII View Post
    ^I can appreciate the practical benefits of that, but I think it would look a little odd to have that much rubber in the front wheelwells, plus lose the front-rear rake.

^^I'll have to check craigslist and ebay I suppose. I'm just looking for a good all-around tire--I have fun when I drive, but I don't absolutely flog it or do any sort of competition. Plus the car is my DD so I average 15-18k miles per year.

I get a lot of comments on how it looks better with the tire filling up the wheel well. Matter of fact when I was at MO's several guys said they liked the look. Also you do not lose the rake, maybe a little but it is still there. see below

Last edited by prchrman; 02-25-2011 at 12:59 PM.
    ---------------------------------------
    2003 Marauder BLACK
    SS inserts
    Addco sway bars
    JLT CAI
    4.10's
    MO's custom tune
    275 rwhp/303 lbs. torque

Taking a slightly different tack on it, what would I lose going with something like the Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum? Granted, it's "grand touring" instead of "ultra high performance" but come on -- it's a Marauder, not a Lotus. Unless I'm going to be sliding all over the road or something, I'd be willing to trade a bit of sharpness for longer wear--600 treadwear rating and a 60K mile warranty (no I don't expect to achieve that but more than 25K might be nice). The vital specs still seem within parameters (97 load rating, W speed rated). Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by 96DiamondVIII View Post
    Taking a slightly different tack on it, what would I lose going with something like the Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum? Granted, it's "grand touring" instead of "ultra high performance" but come on -- it's a Marauder, not a Lotus. Unless I'm going to be sliding all over the road or something, I'd be willing to trade a bit of sharpness for longer wear--600 treadwear rating and a 60K mile warranty (no I don't expect to achieve that but more than 25K might be nice). The vital specs still seem within parameters (97 load rating, W speed rated). Thoughts?
    As long as you keep the speed rating or don't exceed a different rating you'll be OK.
    Last edited by fastblackmerc; 02-26-2011 at 01:44 PM.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

TireRack has BFGoodRich 245/55R18 T/A SPEC tires for $82.00 each right now. They're Camaro OE tires. From the comments I've seen these could be a good substitute for the T/A KDWS that are $189.00 each.
    '03 Marauder, 300A, born 23 Sept 02, St.
    Thomas, Ontario, Canada.
    Build #5105 of 7838,#5104 of 7093 in Black.
    Sold by dealer April 2004. Adopted May 2009.

--Completely Stock except for K&N CAI--
    --Bosch Platinum 2 plugs--
    --Sport Edition ST3 Chrome Wheels--

--Lidio X3 Tune--

Quote Originally Posted by vtwoodsman View Post
    TireRack has BFGoodRich 245/55R18 T/A SPEC tires for $82.00 each right now. They're Camaro OE tires. From the comments I've seen these could be a good substitute for the T/A KDWS that are $189.00 each.
    Here's a review of the Camaro OE tires ..... scroll down and read the Summary on Post #1 >>>> http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...ighlight=worst

Here's an extract of SIBS review ....

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger in the Black Sedan View Post
    I was unhappy with how the soft sidewalled 245/55/18 Camaro spec Radial TA caused my car to handle with these tires up front, so I relegated them to the rear, and put the good condition 235/50/18 KDWs back up front. The spongey sidewall of the Camaro spec tires is less objectionable on the rear than they were on the front. They look goofy because they do not have a bead recess to allow the sidewall to mount up nice and vertically, so they bulge out like a balloon. Traction is fine. I consider this configuration a fine low budget compromise if you really can't afford any other new tires for the back, but aesthetics, tire construction quality, and handling are not up to par with even the stock KDW so I would not othewise recommend these tires on the rear if you can afford a better option.

SUMMARY: This is not a quality tire that I would recommend for performance use. The low T speed rating is consistent with the wimpy thin beads on the tire and the soft, flexible sidewalls. The construction quality is very lacking compared to the same size KDWs OEM Marauder tire. The KDWs balances with very little weight on a good quality wheel, whereas the Radial TA took so much weight to balance it was almost un-useable. The sidewall of the Radial TA is far less reinforced than the KDWs and will negatively impact handling. For GM to have passed over the KDWs and used this spec Radial TA, they are really cutting corners on the V6 2010 camaro. The KDWs is a far superior tire in all aspects to this spec Radial TA.

I would use the Radial TA on the rear only, if you can't afford anything else. It will be safer than a bald KDWs.

Overall I am extremely disappointed in this spec Radial TA. It is a US made tire and although it had a lower speed rating than the Marauder should really use, there is no excuse for manufacturing flaws that cause such a poor end product.
    Last edited by Bluerauder; 04-10-2011 at 12:57 PM.
    Bluerauder
    '03 MM 300B
    #67 of 328
    Dark Blue Pearl with Light Flint interior(1 of 215)

Black Pearl "Aarrrrr Type"
    '12 Taurus SHO 3.5 L Ecoboost V6 24V DOHC DI Twin Turbo
    (365 HP, 350 TQ)
    #318 of 478
    Tuxedo Black Metallic with Charcoal Black Leather interior (1 of 415)

Member Capital Area Marauders (CAM)
    since April '04

Bluerauder's Garage -- Pics and Other Info

Sixteen (16) years of CAM Meets, Regional, and Marauderville MM Event History & Upcoming (in RED) Events is Here

Quote Originally Posted by vtwoodsman View Post
    NOPE.

See Charlie's post and thread link above. ^^^^^

2003 300B DBP
    Build date: 6/19/03
    Number 7,792 of 7,838 - 326 of 328
    Proud member of the MM "BLUES" Bros.
    Purchased: 11/10/05
    Eaton swap by ImpalaSlayer 11-09-10

Semper et in Aeternum, Mercurius.

In Memory:
    2004 DTR
    Build Date 01/27/04
    Purchased 04/04/04
    Wrecked 10/19/05, R.I.P.

Just got my 2004 Silver Birch Marauder about 2 weeks ago. The rear BFG's are worn to the wear bars in the middle w/ the inner and outer treads at about 6/32". The front BFG's are worn evenly to about 5-6/32". So, I definitely have to get the rears replaced and I'm not too keen on getting another set of BFG's @ $200 each what with their lousy wear performance. I've been looking at every possible tire combination and manufacturer out there trying to find something that will be a close approximate to the OEM set-up and work alright with the T/C. I'm kinda leaning toward General G-Max AS-03 (Ultra High Performance All-Season) which rank well in the Tire Rack survey and aren't too bad price-wise. I'm thinking of the size combination of: FR 235/50ZR18 and RR 235/55ZR18. There's about a 1:1.03 RPM ratio difference (1:1.05 OEM BFG). Does that combination sound do-able?

I get an error message when I attempt to open the PDF file in post #1.

Is it my puter/adobe program or did something happen to this file??????

What's the error message? I just opened and saved it to test and the link is A-OK.
    11.931 @ 116.33 (MT ET Streets)
    12.073 @ 118.43 (Nitto 555)

I love the smell of Nitromethane and rubber in the morning!
    Drag racers prayer:
    As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread Information