Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OK. don't get mad i know we have a search. everything I will need for 4.10's

OK. don't get mad i know we have a search. everything I will need for 4.10's

Sorry about this, I know there is an unbelievable amount of info concerning a 4.10 gear install if I search. I've been searching for awhile now, and I'd like to just get all the info i need in one nice neat thread. I've recently caught the mod. bug and just got my K&N FIPK and an xcal-1 of one of my mustang buddies (02 GT). I'm ready to order a set of 4.10's, and everything I need to go with them. Problem is, I don't know all I need. I've owned 2 marauder's and know from experience my rear axles are shot. Gettin the oil drip out my axle seals. So the way I figure it, if I have to get axles done, why not do the gears at the same time. There are a few local mustang shops I'm looking into for the install. If anyone knows any reputable one's in the south eastern MA. area, I'm up for suggestions. So at this point, I know I need axles, the gears, and a tune. What else exactly should I be replacing? If you could list part #'s that would be much appreciated. What fluids should I use? And also, is it safe to ride around without a tune for a bit while I get some more cash together, or should I make sure I have the tune before the install? I know i'm beatin a dead horse, but I could really use the input. Thank you for your help.

-Matt

Suggest you get an axle girdle to complement the gears.

http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/pr...=481cPath=3_39

A reputable Mustang shop shop be able to do a good job on the install.

Definitely get the tune, shift shedule and speedo will be off without the tune after you install the 4:10's.

SCCH

2003 300B DBP
    Build date: 6/19/03
    Number 7,792 of 7,838 - 326 of 328
    Proud member of the MM "BLUES" Bros.
    Purchased: 11/10/05
    Eaton swap by ImpalaSlayer 11-09-10

Semper et in Aeternum, Mercurius.

In Memory:
    2004 DTR
    Build Date 01/27/04
    Purchased 04/04/04
    Wrecked 10/19/05, R.I.P.

Fenner's Auto Shop in Hyannis, across from the Melody Tent, did mine and is doing Go Mifuni's next week.

You'll need the gears, and the install kit. If you're positive the axles are shot, then get the axle TSB kit from Ray "TheDealer" and it will have everything else you may need, including the proper fluid.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by RF Overlord View Post
    Fenner's Auto Shop in Hyannis, across from the Melody Tent, did mine and is doing Go Mifuni's next week.

You'll need the gears, and the install kit. If you're positive the axles are shot, then get the axle TSB kit from Ray "TheDealer" and it will have everything else you may need, including the proper fluid.
    ^^^^What Bob said.^^^^^
    I called Ray and had my new axles in three days. The axle kit and gears are sitting in my back seat waiting patiently for the trip out to Hyannis Monday afternoon. (Yes Bob, I'll call you when I'm on my way out there lol.)
    I'm gonna take a complete inventory of everything I have at this point and give Fenner's a call to make sure I'm not missing anything.
    I'd hate to have to leave it there for an extra week waiting for a part and miss out on the New England Dragway meet on the 31st.

Previous owner of...

BLACK '03 300A "Bagheera"
    Ford Racing 4:10's
    Denso Iridium plugs
    JLT Cold Air Intake
    Valentine One Radar Locator w/ remote
    Gods Head Steering wheel badge
    Sylvania Silverstars
    Hitch

thanks for all the info guys.

You'll need the gears, and the install kit. If you're positive the axles are shot, then get the axle TSB kit from Ray "TheDealer"
    What's the TSB kit? Does that have the bearings and seals and whatnot? Also, what company does Ray work for, or how do I get ahold of him? Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by fastf50rd View Post
    thanks for all the info guys.

What's the TSB kit? Does that have the bearings and seals and whatnot? Also, what company does Ray work for, or how do I get ahold of him? Thanks again.
    Did RF Overlord PM you yet?

Previous owner of...

Denso Iridium plugs
    JLT Cold Air Intake
    Sylvania Silverstars
    Hitch

If Freners doesn"t work. I had Wayne's Off Road in Barnstable, Ma. install my 4:10s. He does the most gear installation due to the nature of his work. 508-362-1522.
    2004 marauder black purchased new. Sold 9/16 at 297,000 miles. Still ran strong didn't burn a drop of oil.
    2003 marauder black 28,000 miles all stock. Garage Queen.
    2004 marauder red daily driver.

Quote Originally Posted by fastf50rd View Post
    What's the TSB kit? Does that have the bearings and seals and whatnot? Also, what company does Ray work for, or how do I get ahold of him?
    The TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) kit was developed by Ford to address the soft axle issue found in many early-build MMs. It consists of 2 new axles, axle bearings, seals, and 3 quarts of synthetic 75W-140. The part # for the kit is: 3W1Z-4A109-AA.

Ray, known as "TheDealer" here, is with Northeast L/M and is a Supporting Vendor. You can send him a PM or ask for Ray Sr. at 800-216-6411.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    Daily Driver

I'm from Hyannis and remember it was hard to find an honest Mechanic on the Cape. Do you guys recomend these shops for general repairs also? My Dad still lives there and is constantly complaining that everyone is a rip off in the area. I'll be up there this weekend if anyone knows of any events scheduled I would love to see some of the Marauders that roam the streets of my hometown.

cougar, I highly recommend Fenner's for any type of repair. Scott Fenner and Ron Lombardi are honest and easy to deal with. I have them do all the work I can't (or won't...like brakes) and I've sent family and friends there as well.

The Cape Cod Classics club has a show at Patriot Square in Dennis every Saturday from 5-8 (more or less). Maybe we could hook up there?
    Last edited by RF Overlord; 05-21-2008 at 07:10 AM.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    Daily Driver

I will try to make that not sure exactly what the wife has planned for us yet. I will try to get my dad and I out and about by ourselves. I'll PM you my cell phone number. Just give me a call on Friday. I will try to check back online but my dad lives in the 1800's and still has dial up.

Quote Originally Posted by cougar9150 View Post
    I will try to make that not sure exactly what the wife has planned for us yet. I will try to get my dad and I out and about by ourselves. I'll PM you my cell phone number. Just give me a call on Friday. I will try to check back online but my dad lives in the 1800's and still has dial up.
    I'll be dropping mine off at Fenner's for the axle replacement and gear swap Monday afternoon. Not quite sure what time though as my boys are pretty busy with Scouts that day.
    Hopefully I'll be able to head out there again some night next week to pick it up. I need to get the gears broken in by Saturday for the "MM" day at Epping.

Previous owner of...

Denso Iridium plugs
    JLT Cold Air Intake
    Sylvania Silverstars
    Hitch

Unless you're pushing over 500hp to the rear wheels, this is not necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by SC Cheesehead View Post
    Suggest you get an axle girdle to complement the gears.

http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/pr...=481cPath=3_39

Did RF Overlord PM you yet?
    not yet no.

I'm sorry...I thought my replies #3 and #8 above answered the questions...
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    Daily Driver

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information