Thread: Scam?

Scam?

Alright, so on craigs list i found a nice car with a good price. It has like 40,000 miles and the lady emailed me and said that she only wanted 3800.00 for it. I feel i may be getting scammed but the website she gave me to get the car seems legit. I'll include a copy of the email from her and the website shes using.
    http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/car/697604477.html
    http://www.us-shippers.com/search.php and when asked for the email use longal9@aol.com to get in.

And the email she sent was:
    I'm really sorry for this late reply but I've been very busy lately and away from a computer. The car is in excellent running and body condition, no flaws on it or any other mechanical problems. It has a clear title and it will be signed and notarized on your name as soon as the payment will be completed. This was my husband's car who passed away 4 months ago and it only brings me bad memories. I only hope to find a good home for it and to be taken care of like my husband did. I believe $3,800(not negotiable) with all shipping fee anywhere in the continental US included is more than a fair price.
    I will tell you a few words about it. 2004 Dodge SRT-4 in immaculate condition with only 42,532 miles, VIN number: 1B3ES66S84D556133, rust free, no scratch and hasn't been involved in any accident. Engine is a 2.4L I4 SFI with manual trans. The interior looks great (never smoked in). This car needs nothing.
    I want this transaction to go smoothly enough as I am caught in the middle of some very important events and have little time at my disposal. I already have tons of emails so I hope you understand that I need to sort them out. I will take in consideration only those buyers who are really interested in buying the car, to be sure that I don't waste my time with endless discussions. This way, I shall be assured of the serious intentions.
    For more pictures click in the link below:
    http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/ll221/longal9
    So if you are interested please email me back and we'll go from there.
    Amanda Long

I asked her if there was a place i could look at the car before i got it and her reply was:
    As I told you in my first e-mail, I lost my husband in an accident 4 months ago and I was badly injured. I have problems with my hearing and most of the time have headaches. I'm in Santa Monica now for treatment. Before leaving I had prearranged the deal with US Shippers http://www.us-shippers.com so my presence isn't necessary. The car and all the papers (title,etc..) are in their possession ready for delivery. The shipping company will hold the payment until the car is delivered and inspected. You will have 3 days to test and inspect it. If it's not as described or if the title is not clear or whatever problem you may find and we can't work it out, the car will be returned and your payment will be refunded. If you accept it, the papers will be signed and notorized, and they will release the funds to me.
    Quite simple and fast. So if you want to purchase the car please go to http://www.us-shippers.com/search.php and follow the instructions.

So the deal is that i really want this car due to my horrible mileage and the fact that i want a smaller car (im going to college in the fall). But what do you guys think?
    Thanks

2004 Jaguar S-Type R
    Retired: 2003 CVPI
    Retired: 2000 CVPI

Ask to show up in person.

I doubt that will happen!

Smells fishy to me (but then what do I know).
    I think the yellow banner at the top of the advertisement page says it all.
    After the shipping is paid for it dosen't leave much cash in her pocket.
    Beware.
    Name: Bruiser.
    4 doors - no waiting.
    2004 Mercury Marauder, BLACK w/Charcoal.
    Built 09/04/03
    #261 of 1236 Blacks, 3213 total for 2004
    (Thanks RoyLPita)
    Purchased 10/23/2003
    Adopted 04/25/2004

Hot seats, 6 disc, trunk org, spoiler, avic f90bt & xm, ts-d802 speaks, bumper inserts, pedal and sill covers, 23% tint, 8000k hi/lo hid's & fogs, pro-guard, c.a.i., Xcal2, u.d. pulleys, emp pump, 180 t-stat, autolite 103 plugs, cop connects, coil covers, converter, aluminum pan & cooler, intake spacer, 4.10's, girdle, sway bars, control arms, head cooling kit, shorty headers w/ x pipe, dead pedal, budget big brakes.

"Come with me if you want to live
    ".

Two problems with this.

1. US shippers does not have a home address.

2. Search US shipers INC. and nothing comes up, if they really are this big, they should be in every search engine.

Sounds like a US shippers Inc. is a scam website and you are going to lose your money dealing with them.

Ask the companies that they say they work with about them, you will likely find no one knows them.

If it is too good to be true, it is.

The vin # is for a black one.
    http://72.30.186.56/search/cache?ei=...icp=1&.intl=ca

You could also ask why she is selling it so cheap, when she could have gone to any dealership and sold it for more.
    SCAM

Try this one instead.
    http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e=&cardist=187
    Last edited by Aren Jay; 05-31-2008 at 10:53 PM.

The only way to contact is email which could be someones house for all you know and isn't funny how the live chat is busy, but you can leave a message. I know you want it but you would have to do what Zack said and ask for a real person to meet you at the car with the title in hand or leave them an email asking for their address and do all your business there.
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Also who goes to California for treatment when living in Indiana?

Real big scam!

She would have given you a number to reach her at for more info. And does that name sound made up to anyone??
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'04 Marauder #357 of 3213 - Built and Eaton swapped - "MERCD"
    '21 F150 XLT 5.0 Sport
    '18 Chevy Malibu Redline
    '15 Mustang GT, performance package
    '01 BMW 740i M-Sport, manual swapped
    '97 Lincoln Town Car (black on black)
    '10 Harley Ultra Limited
    '08 Kawasaki ZX6R
    '03 Grand Marquis(sold)

lol, alright. Thats kinda what i thought but i trust other peoples opinions more than my own thanks for the help

2004 Jaguar S-Type R
    Retired: 2003 CVPI
    Retired: 2000 CVPI

Aside from the dozens of things I see wrong with this setup, she states in her e-mail that she wants a smaller car...

...smaller than a Neon?! So she's looking to buy a SmartCar?
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

It's a scam.
    Someone tried something VERY similar to that on me with a 1976 Ford Bronco.

I told them I had someone I wanted to come look at the car in person in his area and never heard back. I sent a final email cussing them up one side and down the other hoping he would get pissed and reply. Hoping to get a fight out of it. But no luck.

So I wouldnt trust this deal unless you can touch the car yourself.

Buyer Beware.
    2003 MARAUDER ---SOLD---
    -MOD LIST-
    Ø MMR Race 1100 shortblock, Polydyn coated pistons
    Ø Pro Turbo Systems turbo kit with Precision 76GTS turbo with polished H compressor housing
    Ø Ford GT Complete Cylinder Heads (Cams, Springs, Retainers, etc)
    Ø Twin Ford GT fuel pumps, -8 braided stainless lines and billet rails
    Ø Custom All Metal Cowl Induction Hood

keep on searching bro. Stay away from that site.

Scam. I was going to buy an '03 Tacoma crew cab 4x4, SR5, fully loaded, even leather, had only 40k on it. She was only asking $3500 for the truck! He didn't pass away though, it was a divorce. Everytime I asked to see the truck, it was always I am busy and just send a check and the truck will be delivered.
    '03 A #1801 - Tuned By Outlaw Dyno
    445rwhp/408rwtq - 12.6/110mph
    DR Vortech NOIC #5
    Sold
    '88 Mustang LX - Built 306ci, built AOD, built 8.8"
    '11 F250 Powerstroke - 476hp/1208tq

Thread Information