Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pro Guard Rear Skid Plate

Pro Guard Rear Skid Plate

I was thinking about putting 1 of these on but must say that when I take my trip up to New York this summer I will only be cruising at 55 to 65 m.p.h. , not very fast, I have heard that you can get better gas mileage at higher speeds, but at what speeds. I was wondering if I am waisting my money getting 1 of these, can anyone chime in if they have 1 and notice any difference in gas mileage.

Got it in the mail thursday, put it on Friday...I'll keep you updated, I got it to prevent the bumper from tearing or warping. I assume it helps on gas, but not by much. With these gas prices I guess it's better then nothing. We'll see what the outcome is.
    "Damned if I do, damned if I don't!"
    Member #8831

MERIDEATH aka "Purrrty Mean" was born on June 20, 2002.
    Production #1685 of 7,838 and is #1685 of 7093 Black Beasts.
    Delivered July 27th 2002, she revealed herself.
    Unable to be tamed by her 1st owner, she was left to roam about & raid in search of plunder.
    Through the pillage she became mine on January 23, 2008 and since then...
    "She's tryin' to make a Devil out of me!"
    -"TaKe 'Em D0wN!" TRILOGY TwinScrew #209 / TS0019-

Quote Originally Posted by takedown View Post
    Got it in the mail thursday, put it on Friday...I'll keep you updated, I got it to prevent the bumper from tearing or warping. I assume it helps on gas, but not by much. With these gas prices I guess it's better then nothing. We'll see what the outcome is.
    Did you use the stock bolts to install it or the new ones it came with?
    2003 300A
    Built: 10/22/02
    XCal2 by Lidio
    K&N CAI #63-1111
    Steeda Underdrive Pulleys
    Stewart EMP Water pump
    Stainless Works long tube headers
    Random Tech high flow cats
    Super 44's
    Megs delete tips
    OEM Spoiler
    Progard
    Duplicolor red calipers
    20% Tint
    14.46 @ 97.08

5799 of 7839
    Made in Canada

I've had mine on for so long now I can't remember about the bolts, I want to say you just use the stock bolts.

I can't really comment about the gas mileage as with all my mods my gas mileage has gone up. It's mainly to help keep the air going underneath the car move right on by instead of getting caught up in the rear bumper which will cause drag and eventually balloon out the rear bumper (sag and deform). Next time you go by a 2000-2004 CV or GM look at the center of the rear bumper (bottom) and it looks like someone has tugged on it and pulled it out some. Not all of them are like that just the ones that have a lot of mile especially highway miles.

2004 Silver Birch
    300B
    Build date:9/29/2003, Adopted on 12/02/05
    Exhaust by Greg
    13.630 @ 100.49 mph (11/21/10)

2015 Ford Focus SE Sport FWD
    2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost AWD (377whp/423tq).
    2010 Ford Fusion Sport FWD
    1989.5 Ford Mustang 5.0 LXsport

I would purchase it.
    I put it on my car about 4 months ago. I didn’t see any in the gas mileage because I did a DR tune at the same time. I got 2 miles to the gallon more from either the tune or the skid pate…. But I feel it mostly from the tune..
    I had a 99 crown vic, and the bumper would crack down the sides from it sagging. I feel like the skid plate protects the bumper from sagging over time.
    CANT HURT
    Some Good advice from Experience With my P71 Don’t sleep and drive the concrete medians don’t move!!

2003-A Mercury Marauder BLACK
    Daily Driver
    X-cal 3 Tune by Dennis Reinhart.
    KOOKS Complete Long Tube Headers , X Pipe , Spin Tech Mufflers.
    JLT Intake.
    Dynotech Driveshaft.
    Aero Force Gauges.
    Pro Guard.
    30% Tint all the way around.
    ZAINO and Collinite (Only The Best).
    Trunk Organizer.
    Hard mounted Garmin - nüvi 750 GPS.
    Hard Mounted SIRIUS Sataliet radio (Sporster 5).
    2 - 10inch Custom Installed JL Audio Subs
    Pioneer DEH-P710BT Premier Deck

Comming Soon ::
    Precision Industries Torque Converter. (3000 stalll)
    4.10 Gears.
    Brake Upgrade .
    Spoiler.

Get the ProGuard.

Easy install.

Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Marylandrauder View Post
    I was wondering if I am waisting my money getting 1 of these, can anyone chime in if they have 1 and notice any difference in gas mileage.
    Not a waste of money IMHO. I put the ProGuard on my MM primarily to stop the rear bumper shroud from flapping in the wind and to reduce/eliminate the very noticeable "sag". Whether there is an appreciable increase in MPGs is debatable; but it certainly can't hurt. Without the ProGuard, the lower lip of the bumper shroud acts as a drag chute catching air. The ProGuard panel eliminates this problem and smooths the airflow under the rear of the car. So, I suspect that MPGs are somewhat better if only in the fractions of 1 MPG. For me, the cost of the ProGuard was well worth it to just get rid of the embarrassing A$$ end flapping. If I only get 0.1 MPG more, I am still saving about 4 gallons ($17.00) per year. Not a big deal; but it is less.
    Last edited by Bluerauder; 06-22-2008 at 05:06 AM.
    Bluerauder
    '03 MM 300B
    #67 of 328
    Dark Blue Pearl with Light Flint interior(1 of 215)

Black Pearl "Aarrrrr Type"
    '12 Taurus SHO 3.5 L Ecoboost V6 24V DOHC DI Twin Turbo
    (365 HP, 350 TQ)
    #318 of 478
    Tuxedo Black Metallic with Charcoal Black Leather interior (1 of 415)

Member Capital Area Marauders (CAM)
    since April '04

Bluerauder's Garage -- Pics and Other Info

Sixteen (16) years of CAM Meets, Regional, and Marauderville MM Event History & Upcoming (in RED) Events is Here

I have the proguard and it looks good under the rear bumper when working on the car on a lift. It uses the stock bolts and installs in less then 5 minutes. I hardly use my car and when I do, its mostly driving 5 miles then put it away, so I cant comment on mileage.

MERCURY MARAUDER 300A

Build Date
    5/31/02
    Sequence#
    #363 of 7839 Black Marauders
    Dyno tested power
    450 RWHP & 405 RWTQ on 93 octane
    Best 1/4 mile time to date
    12.456@109mph
    Visit my Garage
    Blackened300a's Garage

It's on finally!

Quote Originally Posted by freakstatus View Post
    Did you use the stock bolts to install it or the new ones it came with?
    I used the new ones that came with the package...I'm ashamed that it took me a while to figure out that after you loosen the bolt by gas seperator thing...you just slide it a little forward to a drop slot, and the whole time I was trying to pry it out, by the way that's what that lip was for on that flat metal part to move it back and forth. Got the second one out with no problems. At least I got it on...I've heard 4-15 mins. max, well it nearly took me an hour, how embarrassing. That's why I'm NOT A MECHANIC.
    "Damned if I do, damned if I don't!"
    Member #8831

MERIDEATH aka "Purrrty Mean" was born on June 20, 2002.
    Production #1685 of 7,838 and is #1685 of 7093 Black Beasts.
    Delivered July 27th 2002, she revealed herself.
    Unable to be tamed by her 1st owner, she was left to roam about & raid in search of plunder.
    Through the pillage she became mine on January 23, 2008 and since then...
    "She's tryin' to make a Devil out of me!"
    -"TaKe 'Em D0wN!" TRILOGY TwinScrew #209 / TS0019-

Don't worry....One of the nuts kept turning with the bolt when I tried to unscrew it. I think I got ya beat by 15 minutes.
    2003 300A
    Built: 10/22/02
    XCal2 by Lidio
    K&N CAI #63-1111
    Steeda Underdrive Pulleys
    Stewart EMP Water pump
    Stainless Works long tube headers
    Random Tech high flow cats
    Super 44's
    Megs delete tips
    OEM Spoiler
    Progard
    Duplicolor red calipers
    20% Tint
    14.46 @ 97.08

5799 of 7839
    Made in Canada

Proguard/trailer hitch

I have a class 3 Hidden Hitch on my MM. Will the Proguard work with the hitch or have to be modified. If modified will it still be effective in keeping the bumper cover from "balooning"? Thanks for any insight. Rick
    2003 300A 1062 of 7839
    03 300A Black/Black gone 6/17/09
    08 GMC Sierra 4x4 extended cab

I used the new ones at first but then the screws for the bumper wouldn't screw in so I used stock ones and then changed out the new ones under the gas air thing too since the stock ones matched better.

Quote Originally Posted by takedown View Post
    I used the new ones that came with the package...I'm ashamed that it took me a while to figure out that after you loosen the bolt by gas separator thing...you just slide it a little forward to a drop slot, and the whole time I was trying to pry it out, by the way that's what that lip was for on that flat metal part to move it back and forth. Got the second one out with no problems. At least I got it on...I've heard 4-15 mins. max, well it nearly took me an hour, how embarrassing. That's why I'm NOT A MECHANIC.
    Heh, I hear ya, it took me 15 min not to mention just getting up and walking way for 5 min to swear and pace till it hit me.

But all in all, it was a preventative measure for the sag and I think I noticed less drag and some noise from rustling wind on the highway. As for gas mileage, its probably a decimal that you'd only notice after a long drive down the highway. All our MMs should have one as it simple, cheap, and easy to install.
    2003 Black w/Charcoal int. #1301 of the 7839

Current Mods: Lidio 93 3.55 Tune, JLT Intake, Steeda under drive pulleys, Stewart water pump, 180 T-stat, Progard, REAL oil pressure gauge w/ stock face

Current Features:
    6 CD changer, trunk organizer, McGard Wheel locks, domed silver inserts

Coming soon: 4.10s? (maybe)

My baby's theme song?
    Heavy Metal (takin' a ride) 1981 (Don Felder)

Marylandrauder,
    I have 2 Proguards on my two MMs. Used orig. bolts. MPG benefit -- unknown. Sorry.
    GordonB
    2003 MM DBP (BLUE) (300B) w/Lt Flint (Hers); htd seats, 6 CD. PCM s/w level CRD1.
    Mods:Trunk Liner from Decklid Designs, Sunroof (ASC Model 840), McGard wheel locks, Godshead badges--steering & grill (fm Ron), Mac/Marty's Fender Badges, Silverstar Headlights, FLM accs--rear spoiler, door edge guards & trunk organizer. Bob White graphics. KB Dead Pedal & Polished Alum. Pedals. M&Z rear cntrl arms. DR (Addco) rear sway bar (24mm). Pro-Gard rear close-out panel. TCE Perf. braided SS brake lines.
    Born 5/22/03 and adopted 7/21/03. One of 328 DBP for 2003 out of 7838. Build seq. nbr: 7500 of 7838. Color seq. nbr: 282 of 328.

2004 DTR MM w/Lt Flint (His) with htd seats, 6 CD, Fact. Sunroof; born 6/15/04, adopted 7/8/04; one of 980 DTR for 2004 out of 3213. Upgraded same as Blue MM. Build seq. nbr: 3165 of 3214. Color seq. nbr: 973 of 980.

Other cars: '00 'Vette Coupe (Nassau Blue). '14 Vette Coupe (Lime Rock Green)
    Car Clubs: MBCC

Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Rick View Post
    I have a class 3 Hidden Hitch on my MM. Will the Progard work with the hitch or have to be modified. If modified will it still be effective in keeping the bumper cover from "ballooning"? Thanks for any insight. Rick
    If its anything like this: then maybe with some heavy modifying but, you'd have to cut the slits in the side and also cut a hole for the main connection part of the hitch. And that's only given that the cross member is not below the connection for the bumper.

So you will be doomed to have a saggging bumper like this:

BTW Pics were from Crownvic.net
    Last edited by J D; 06-22-2008 at 06:02 PM.
    2003 Black w/Charcoal int. #1301 of the 7839

Current Mods: Lidio 93 3.55 Tune, JLT Intake, Steeda under drive pulleys, Stewart water pump, 180 T-stat, Progard, REAL oil pressure gauge w/ stock face

Current Features:
    6 CD changer, trunk organizer, McGard Wheel locks, domed silver inserts

Coming soon: 4.10s? (maybe)

My baby's theme song?
    Heavy Metal (takin' a ride) 1981 (Don Felder)

I guess I will be calling Dennis as I do not want to have any sagging problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information