Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The LCM

Quote Originally Posted by dankwun View Post
    So I wired my fog lights power directly to the fog light fuse and they work now. Just gonna hook them up to a toggle switch. But my headlights are buggin so im thinking my LCM is going. Both lights will work, turn them on and off then only one will work, turn them on and off again the only the other one will work, then do it again and the both work again. LCM?
    Are your headlight HIDs?

When the relay in the LCM goes both headlights won't come on.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

yeaup, they are HID's. I thought that was my problem but i changed the whole conversion kit ..ballasts, wires, and bulbs.. and im getting the same exact problem.
    i aint gettin old, my style is wine..

RIP NICK AKA EMCE
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbillybbs View Post
    THANKS for the Advice,, this forum is the best thing that ever happened to me and my baby!!

Just put a relay in the LCM. Costs next to nothing and you can do it in 15 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Just put a relay in the LCM. Costs next to nothing and you can do it in 15 minutes.
    If you have the right tools and can solder you can do it.

Did you replace the existing relay or add the external one?
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

In my opinion the LCM should have been a recall, this a safety facto and could cause fatalities, the headlights could fail as they did with me at night on a curved road, had I not reacted quickly and pulled back on the dimmer I could have easily run off the road.

i have the tools but i dont trust my soldering skills at all.

RIP NICK AKA EMCE
    THANKS for the Advice,, this forum is the best thing that ever happened to me and my baby!!

dennis, when you turned the dimmer down the lights came back on?

RIP NICK AKA EMCE

Quote Originally Posted by dankwun View Post
    i have the tools but i dont trust my soldering skills at all.
    Send it to me.
    Ronald Regan

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Yes, Thank you very much too hasn't happened anymore. It's a really big relief worrying when and where they are going to go out.

I did the external relay upgrade this morning in my 04 MGM. Not a difficult job at all, but there's more hassle involved than what fastblackmerc offers to do this task for. If you aren't pushed to turn it around in a day you might want to send it to him.
    04 MM Silver Birch/Light Flint, HS, TO, 6CD, #597 of 3214 (sold 5/2014)
    06 MGM LS Ultimate w/HPP, Black/Dark Charcoal
    04 MGM LS (335k miles and counting)
    69 Marquis convertible, 429
    92 F250HD 4x4
    48 Ford F4

Quote Originally Posted by 69marquis conv View Post
    i did the external relay upgrade this morning in my 04 mgm. Not a difficult job at all, but there's more hassle involved than what fastblackmerc offers to do this task for. If you aren't pushed to turn it around in a day you might want to send it to him.

^^^^^^^+1 ^^^^^^

2003 300B DBP
    Build date: 6/19/03
    Number 7,792 of 7,838 - 326 of 328
    Proud member of the MM "BLUES" Bros.
    Purchased: 11/10/05
    Eaton swap by ImpalaSlayer 11-09-10

Semper et in Aeternum, Mercurius.

In Memory:
    2004 DTR
    Build Date 01/27/04
    Purchased 04/04/04
    Wrecked 10/19/05, R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by 69marquis conv View Post
    I did the external relay upgrade this morning in my 04 MGM. Not a difficult job at all, but there's more hassle involved than what fastblackmerc offers to do this task for. If you aren't pushed to turn it around in a day you might want to send it to him.
    I have acquired 2 spare LCMs. These are ready to be installed. Here is the particulars: http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...ad.php?t=65996
    Ronald Regan

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

General James Mattis

NHTSA Investigation

There was a NHTSA investigation into this lighting control module that included several model years of this platform. The investigation showed the failure rate did not warrant a recall (all vehicles can have problems, unless the rate is significantly higher than the industry as a whole, then it's not a recall. So thank all the crappy Kia & Hyndai & others for high failure rates.)

You may find that by reflowing the solder around the relay terminals that you can fix intermittant failure of headlamps, turn-signals, cornering lamps, and brake lamps. If you don't know what reflowing the solder means, I wouldn't recommend that you attempt the repair as it takes some skill with the right type of soldering iron not to ruin the board.

The modules are not necessarily interchangeable, upgrades were made and implemented at model year or as running changes.
    2003 300B BLUE (stolen for 9 days)
    PI 3000 TC, 4:10 gear + girdle, Dynotech Driveshaft,
    bulletproof trans, 2nd trans cooler + deep pan & Redline D4 ATF
    Steeda UDs, Rear engine cooling kit, Denso plugs, high capacity oil filter on frame, Reinhart superchip
    + gauges, SilverStars, & fire extinguisher

2008 GMC Envoy SLT
    2006 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab/8' Bed; 21.5' long

Quote Originally Posted by ahess77 View Post
    There was a NHTSA investigation into this lighting control module that included several model years of this platform. The investigation showed the failure rate did not warrant a recall (all vehicles can have problems, unless the rate is significantly higher than the industry as a whole, then it's not a recall. So thank all the crappy Kia & Hyndai & others for high failure rates.)

You may find that by reflowing the solder around the relay terminals that you can fix intermittant failure of headlamps, turn-signals, cornering lamps, and brake lamps. If you don't know what reflowing the solder means, I wouldn't recommend that you attempt the repair as it takes some skill with the right type of soldering iron not to ruin the board.

The modules are not necessarily interchangeable, upgrades were made and implemented at model year or as running changes.
    Reflowing the solder may not fix the headlight / relay issues as the relay is undersized for the amount of amps flowing through it. Most of the LCM's that I've repaired have a brown spot on the pcb which is caused by the relay getting too hot. IMHO, an external heavy duty relay is the only way to go.
    Ronald Regan

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by ahess77 View Post
    Everything I've seen says the '03-'04 LCMs are interchangeable and that includes the CV & MGM as well... Earlier or later ones do not...
    45Kmi - Eaton SC - 430RwHp - SOLD!!!!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information