Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The LCM

Attached is a spreadsheet with some of the Ford LCM revisions for current models.
    Last edited by fastblackmerc; 04-04-2011 at 02:01 PM.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

I'm having some very strange problems that I originally thought were LCM related (I'll describe those below). I pulled the LCM and desoldered all 4 relays and replaced them with brand new relays (4 new [COLOR=black][FONT=&quot]EQ1-11111S relays). I reinstalled the LCM and nothing had improved.

Thinking perhaps the LCM had a problem with another component (or components) other than the relays, I replaced the entire LCM with a brand new one (4W7T-13C788-BC). Still, no improvement. So my problem is not the LCM.

Here are the symptoms:

1. Headlights flash on when in the off position.
    2. Headlights turn off when in the on position. "Off" can last for up to an hour while driving, so no driving this puppy at night until this is resolved.
    3. Turn signals go out and then sometime later start working again.
    4. The overhead lights (interior) sometimes don't work, but usually they do.
    5. The horn goes off for a fraction of a second occasionally.
    6. The battery tends to go dead. It is a brand new battery (less than 500 miles on it).

All of these problems started when the NEW ENGINE was installed.

Is this a wiring harness problem? If so, where would I start looking and what would I be looking for?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mbmast View Post
    I'm having some very strange problems that I originally thought were LCM related (I'll describe those below). I pulled the LCM and desoldered all 4 relays and replaced them with brand new relays (4 new [COLOR=black][FONT=&quot]EQ1-11111S relays). I reinstalled the LCM and nothing had improved.

Thinking perhaps the LCM had a problem with another component (or components) other than the relays, I replaced the entire LCM with a brand new one (4W7T-13C788-BC). Still, no improvement. So my problem is not the LCM.

Here are the symptoms:

1. Headlights flash on when in the off position.
    2. Headlights turn off when in the on position. "Off" can last for up to an hour while driving, so no driving this puppy at night until this is resolved.
    3. Turn signals go out and then sometime later start working again.
    4. The overhead lights (interior) sometimes don't work, but usually they do.
    5. The horn goes off for a fraction of a second occasionally.
    6. The battery tends to go dead. It is a brand new battery (less than 500 miles on it).

All of these problems started when the NEW ENGINE was installed.

Is this a wiring harness problem? If so, where would I start looking and what would I be looking for?

Thanks.
    Need to check ALL the harnesses and connectors in the engine compartment.

I bet there is a ground or two that is missing, loose or dirty.
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Fog Lights

I don't see the fog lights mentioned in the functions of the LCM...Are they a seperate circuit that doesn't go thru the LCM??

Quote Originally Posted by bugsyc View Post
    I don't see the fog lights mentioned in the functions of the LCM...Are they a seperate circuit that doesn't go thru the LCM??
    Foglights go from the foglight relay in the power distribution box under the hood, through the multifunction switch and the LCM.
    Ronald Regan

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

General James Mattis

fog lights

Which relay in power dist. box?207? Multi function switch or headlight switch?

Quote Originally Posted by bugsyc View Post
    Which relay in power dist. box?207? Multi function switch or headlight switch?
    Check the owners manual.
    Ronald Regan

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

General James Mattis

LCM revision spreadsheet

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    Attached is a spreadsheet with some of the Ford LCM revisions for current models.
    I think I just stumbled onto the spreadsheet that used to be in your post...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2003 MM 300B

Take it to a Ford dealer

Forgive me if this info is already out there, but I bought a used Marauder (The Baddest Panther) recently and the headlights sometimes wouldn't come on.

I did a little sleuthing and found out the lighting control module was the culprit and it's a $500 part. Boo!

I did a little more sleuthing and found out if your Panther is less than 15 years old and has less than 250k miles, Ford with replace the LCM for free.

Had it done last week. Sweet!

Posted here many times, but thanks...
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

I've been reading through the headlight posts trying to find a similar issue. My driver's side headlight is intermittently dimly lit or not at all. I replaced the bulb with a Silver Star and had the same issue. It seems like the LCM failure would affect both but not just one?

It looks like only the top half of the bulb is dimly lit.

I'll be checking for a bad ground after the ABT event this weekend. Has anyone had a similar issue? Ideas?

Background: The headlights and front grill, bumper etc. were replaced earlier in the year after a minor altercation with a Jersey wall in Michigan. We haven't put many miles on it since, very minimal night driving mainly back in June at Carlisle.
    Last edited by MyTMerc; 11-07-2014 at 06:33 AM. Reason: x
    Shaun
    2016 Ford Fusion SE Ecoboost - White
    2004 Mercury Marauder - Black - Now with Daughter in Michigan
    2000 Ford F150 Lightning - Red
    2014 Ford F150 FX4 - Ruby Red
    Member Capitol Area Marauders (CAM)

"The customer can have any color he wants.... as long as it's black"
    Henry Ford

DOB: 04/23/04
    #2702 of 3214
    #988 of 1237 Black

Quote Originally Posted by MyTMerc View Post
    I've been reading through the headlight posts trying to find a similar issue. My driver's side headlight is intermittently dimly lit or not at all. I replaced the bulb with a Silver Star and had the same issue. It seems like the LCM failure would affect both but not just one?

It looks like only the top half of the bulb is dimly lit.

I'll be checking for a bad ground after the ABT event this weekend. Has anyone had a similar issue? Ideas?

Background: The headlights and front grill, bumper etc. were replaced earlier in the year after a minor altercation with a Jersey all in Michigan. We haven't put many miles on it since, very minimal night driving mainly back in June at Carlisle.
    Highly doubt the problem is LCM related. If it was, both headlights would be affected.
    Sounds like a "ground" or pinched wire issue.
    Last edited by fastblackmerc; 11-07-2014 at 08:41 AM.
    Ronald Regan

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

General James Mattis

What FBM said.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

what rf said
    Those were the days.........

DANG THEY'RE CUTE!!!!!!
    Smile and Nod
    I love THIS bar

In my opinion, there is nothing worse than the "door handle activated lights" that activate if one of the two front door handles is lifted, even if the doors are locked. Essentially giving potential thieves the abilitity to see in your car, even through window tint. Such a bad feature!

I disabled this feature on my car by disconnecting Pin 12 in the C2027 plug on the PCM. I believe that you can also remove the door panels and disconnect the plug from the door handles directly.

You can disable this feature, yet still have the interior lights turn on when the doors are opened. Now, that makes complete sense, and will be like the majority of cars on the road.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information