Thread: GMQ no heat

GMQ no heat

The wife calls me yesterday to describe a no heat/defrost symptom on the Grand Monkey.
    I tell ya' these wifes' they are such sissys!
    I drove the car this am(weekly fill) and froze my azz off!

So I figured since it happened all of a sudden and I know the coolant/thermo is good,it has to be the blend door.All the other functions of the HVAC seems ok.
    A/C seems fine now but she said it doesn't get very cold.
    The little reading I did on this, seems like a big PITA to fix.
    2004 Trilogy #93P 12.2@113 Built and stalled

If you have climate control do a self test. Press "OFF" and "FLOOR" at the same time, let go and press "AUTOMATIC" that will put the EATC into self test. You'll see the segments going around in a circle for a short time. If the complete display lights up (all segments together) system is ok at that time. If a code number comes up let me know and I can look it up for you. Sometimes the self test alone will clear an electrical problem.

'98 MGM LS...sold..................... .............................. ..'03 300A...sold 6/17

Thanks larryo340 the display flashes 024

Quote Originally Posted by larryo340 View Post
    If you have climate control do a self test. Press "OFF" and "FLOOR" at the same time, let go and press "AUTOMATIC" that will put the EATC into self test. You'll see the segments going around in a circle for a short time. If the complete display lights up (all segments together) system is ok at that time. If a code number comes up let me know and I can look it up for you. Sometimes the self test alone will clear an electrical problem.
    Nice piece of info! Thanks
    2004 DTR Marauder, Built 26 February 2004, Inservice: 02 July 2004 Retired from DD 17 July 2008. Survived the cut, 28 April 2012. Back as a DD as of 18 November 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley G View Post
    Thanks larryo340 the display flashes 024
    No problem, but you didn't say what year it is. This attachment is for '03-'04.

The pinpoint test A that is needed is too long to attach ( and a little involved). I can send it in a Word document to you. Just send me your email.

And for everyone else, the self test below will work on most any Ford automatic temperature control:

Electronic Automatic Temperature Control Module Self-Test
    • The EATC module self-test will not detect concerns associated with data link messages like engine coolant temperature or vehicle speed signals. A diagnostic tool must be used to retrieve these concerns.
    • The EATC module self-test will detect concerns in the system control functions and will display hard diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) in addition to intermittent diagnostic trouble codes for concerns that occur during system operation. The vehicle interior temperature should be between 4°-32°C (40-90°F) when carrying out the self-test. If the temperatures are not within the specified ranges, false in-car temperature sensor DTCs will be displayed.
    • The self-test can be initiated at any time. Normal operation of the system stops when the self-test is activated.
    • To enter the self-test, press the OFF and FLOOR buttons simultaneously and then press the AUTOMATIC button within two seconds. The display will show a pulse tracer going around the center of the display window. The test may run as long as 30 seconds. Record all DTCs displayed.
    • If any DTCs appear during the self-test, follow the diagnostics procedure given under ACTION for each DTC given.
    • If a condition exists but no DTCs appear during the self-test, GO to Symptom Chart Condition: The EATC System Is Inoperative, Intermittent or Improper Operation.
    • To exit self-test and retain all intermittent DTCs, push the blue (cooler) button. The control will exit self-test, retain all intermittent diagnostic trouble codes and then turn OFF (display blank).
    • To exit the self-test and clear all DTCs, press the DEFROST button. The vacuum fluorescent display window will show 888 and all function symbols for one second. Then, the EATC control assembly will turn OFF (display blank) and all DTCs will be cleared.
    • Always exit the self-test before powering the system down (system turned OFF).
    • Intermittent DTCs will be deleted after 80 ignition switch ON cycles after the intermittent condition occurs.
    Attached Files Attached Files

'98 MGM LS...sold..................... .............................. ..'03 300A...sold 6/17

Great Information, need to make this a stickey.
    Code turned out to be a blend door motor failure.
    Parts are ordered

Kind of figured it would be the blend door motor, not much else goes wrong on the climate control sytem.

I'm glad to help out when I can. By the way what year is the car? and if you need the factory R&R steps just PM me and I'll get them to you.

Thanks again larryo340 the car is a 2002 GMQ LSE HPP .
    I was going to pay a mechanic to repair, but if it's something I can handle I'd be gratefull for your R & R instructions.
    sending PM
    Quote Originally Posted by larryo340 View Post
    Kind of figured it would be the blend door motor, not much else goes wrong on the climate control sytem.

I'm glad to help out when I can. By the way what year is the car? and if you need the factory R&R steps just PM me and I'll get them to you.

Thanks again larryo340 the car is a 2002 GMQ LSE HPP .
    I was going to pay a mechanic to repair, but if it's something I can handle I'd be gratefull for your R & R instructions.
    sending PM
    "You've got mail"

Larrys great with this stuff. He helped me over the phone when i had an odd headlamp malfunction.
    2004 Marauder - #354 of 1237 made in black
    10,800 Original miles
    Acquired 8-3-12

Yes he is!
    the attachment that larry sent to me is very through.
    Quote Originally Posted by OneBADLsE View Post
    Larrys great with this stuff. He helped me over the phone when i had an odd headlamp malfunction.

Got the blend door fixed Wednesday, wow!, that's a big job!
    Had some help from the techs at work.
    The instructions were a big help, thanks larry!
    but I got the cheater way from the techs, disconnect the steering shaft at the knuckle.
    pull the dash out till you can reach behind it.
    I'm still sore from all that work!
    I got the Marauder back finally! felt good to get her back.

Got the blend door fixed Wednesday, wow!, that's a big job!
    Had some help from the techs at work.
    The instructions were a big help, thanks larry!
    but I got the cheater way from the techs, disconnect the steering shaft at the knuckle.
    pull the dash out till you can reach behind it.
    I'm still sore from all that work!
    I got the Marauder back finally! felt good to get her back.
    YOUR

I'm glad it all worked out, if you ever need anything from the manual, just ask.

Thread Information