Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lincoln mark 8

lincoln mark 8

hello guys i am thinkin about buying a 1998 lincoln mark 8 lsc with 120,000 and was wondering if anybody had any comments about theas cars and if possiable could someone run an osais report on it form.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=160269750592

vin #1lnfm92v9wy623862
    thanks for any help i will recieve

If im not mistaken, its too old for an Oasis report.
    Good looking car though.

the headlights are so glazed over I wonder if they even produce light!!!

Other than that its pretty bad ass. Thats kinda like the "pre Marauder" if ya think about it.

Matt H.
    (sold)2004' SB, 268rwhp/295tq
    1990 Mustang GT, Dart 363, Si-trim, T56, Holley Terminator X. 622rwhp/527tq
    2003 SVT Cobra, Posi Port 497rwhp/481tq. SCT Pro Racer Pack.
    2017 F-150, 5.0
    2013 SHO DIB Performance Pack

I owned a 93 and I'm pretty knowledgable with them.

Things to look out for that goes bad on those cars ALL the time:

- Air Ride system. Straight up PLAGUE. They would need to be replaced with a coil0over setup. They are pretty cheap and on eBay.
    - HID Headlamps. If it has HIDs... and they go... you will need to replace them with a cheap aftermarket or fork over around $1000 for the real OEM stuff.
    - Paint. The paint really sucked. If it looks decent now, you will have to keep up with it. Kinda like any other car... but their paint had that bad fade and clear coat peel to it.
    - Stereo. The factory amp went out all the time. Replacement amps are on eBay for really cheap... or you could just replace all of it like I did in mine. Wasn't too hard.
    - Transmissions. Same deal as with any other heavy car. They wear out.

Other than those things... I loved mine. I replaced the suspension, stereo, rebuilt the transmission, installed a 2004 MM TQ Converter and just drove it into the ground. It was a cheap car that I might have put $2K into. I traded a 97 Thunderbird for it. The Mark had less miles and was in slightly better condition. I had the car for over a year before I decided to get a MM.

1993 Mark VIIIs were the fastest years BTW!

personaly i think there hidious but that one looks to be in good shape
    2010 fusion se

I also owned a Mark VIII, a pearl white '96, and it was great...I would still own it had it not been totaled in an accident. While CKMustangCobra brought up some good points, I have counterpoints to some:

Quote Originally Posted by CKMustangCobra View Post
    Things to look out for that goes bad on those cars ALL the time:

- Air Ride system. Straight up PLAGUE. They would need to be replaced with a coil0over setup. They are pretty cheap and on eBay.
    - HID Headlamps. If it has HIDs... and they go... you will need to replace them with a cheap aftermarket or fork over around $1000 for the real OEM stuff.
    - Paint. The paint really sucked. If it looks decent now, you will have to keep up with it. Kinda like any other car... but their paint had that bad fade and clear coat peel to it.
    - Stereo. The factory amp went out all the time. Replacement amps are on eBay for really cheap... or you could just replace all of it like I did in mine. Wasn't too hard.
    - Transmissions. Same deal as with any other heavy car. They wear out.
    -The air ride system is bad news if it hasn't been taken care of (or sometimes even if it has), true. It's complicated and parts aren't cheap. *However* the comfortable ride it gives is, in my mind, worth the trouble. Wonderful ride and the handling is quite respectable.

-The HIDs for the later models, like the one you're looking at, aren't as uncommon as for the earlier models. Plus they're a MUCH better design.

-The paint was an issue on the earlier models, like so many other cars from the early/mid 90's. It got better as they went on. My '96 had zero paint problems when I bought it, and zero when it was totaled 2 years later, despite my not having a garage and sometimes being indifferent about washing it regularly.

-The amp was fine in my stereo, but the factory sony CD changers were junk. You will be better off replacing it all, agreed.

-Transmissions he's right on about. They don't usually last the life of the car. Mine was fine, but the car only had 65k on it in the end. Just something you'll have to deal with eventually.

Some additional experience--

-On mine, the driver's side outside door handle broke; common on these cars as the handles were not cast strongly enough for the weight of the doors. PITA to replace, but the assembly isn't expensive (around $100 IIRC). One of the control stalks (I think the high-beam switch but I'm not sure) is also a common failure, but not a difficult replacement. The message center often gets stuck on "door ajar", but just shoot the lock assemblies with some graphite or wd-40 and it usually clears right up.

Go check out the FAQ/info section at http://www.markviii.org for lots more info. They do have their own quirks, but it's a lot of car for the money, and a great highway cruiser (most comfortable seats I've ever owned by far). If everything checks out, I say go for it!

Thumbs up Mark Website

You're best suggestion is to go to the below Mark VIII website. They have a wealth of informaton on Marks.

http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/

Glenn
    Trilogy #124 SOLD - 8/2014
    11.80 @ 117.16 MPH: SSHS9
    1.74 sec - 60'
    443 RWHP/437 RWTQ
    "Stock Internal Engine" - Click Below

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    If im not mistaken, its too old for an Oasis report.
    10 years max, so its barely still oasisable

Looks like a nice LSC

2016 Ford Mustang GT PP - Lund nGauge, BMR vertical links, MGW Shifter, BMR CB005

2004 Mercury Marauder - Eaton M112, Billetflow 3.4, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, T-56 Magnum, 4.10s, Stainless Works LTs, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, Ridetech Coilovers + Adj rear shocks, FX-R projectors, Wilwood 13" BNSL6 + FNSL4 BBKs, S55 Gauge Cluster
    440rwhp & 406rwtq Tuned by Adam @ Revolution Automotive
    2063/3214

(Sold) 2003 Mercury Marauder - Stainless Works LT's, Stainless Works 2.5" Catback, JLT Intake, Mo's Xcal4 Tune
    5377/7838

2000 BMW M5 - Evolve Intake, Evolve Alpha-N tune, Stoptech ST-40 BBK, UUC SSK, Dinan front STB, Dinan RSB

1996 Ford Bronco - 4" lift, 35" BFG A/T's, Punisher Valve Body, MH1 Projectors

thanks so much for the info so far, i guess my concern is that looking at the supplied carfax report it lists some electrical systems serviced at 43k and then suspension system serviced at 45k.
    also i looked at the mark 8 website and it was saying that the 98 model had an upgraded tansmission.
    <TABLE id=recordDetailSection cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=656 align=center bgColor=#ffffff border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left width=471><TABLE class=folderstyle id=recordTable1 style="HEIGHT: 145px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width=471 bgColor=#ffffff border=0><TBODY><TR class=evenrow><TD vAlign=top align=left>10/09/1997 </TD><TD vAlign=top align=right></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>NICB </TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>Vehicle manufactured
    and shipped to original dealer
    </TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e6edf5"><TD align=right colSpan=4></TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD vAlign=top align=left>01/28/1998 </TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>60 </TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>Arkansas
    Motor Vehicle Dept.
    Jonesboro, AR
    Title #16019802584
    </TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>Title or registration issued
    First owner reported
    Registered as
    personal vehicle
    </TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff"><TD align=right colSpan=4></TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD vAlign=top align=left>10/22/2001 </TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>43,198 </TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>Service Facility </TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>Vehicle serviced
    Air conditioning serviced
    Electrical system serviced
    Oil and filter changed chassis lubricated
    </TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e6edf5"><TD align=right colSpan=4></TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD vAlign=top align=left>12/13/2001 </TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>43,793 </TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>Service Facility </TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>Vehicle serviced
    Electrical system serviced
    </TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff"><TD align=right colSpan=4></TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD vAlign=top align=left>02/12/2002 </TD><TD vAlign=top align=right></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>Dealer Inventory
    Arkansas
    </TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>Vehicle sold </TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e6edf5"><TD align=right colSpan=4></TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD vAlign=top align=left>02/14/2002 </TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>45,250 </TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>Service Facility </TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>Vehicle serviced
    Suspension system serviced
    </TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff"><TD align=right colSpan=4></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=nopad bgColor=#ffffff colSpan=2></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle width="100%" height="100%"><TABLE class=ownerTabPrint id=tabTable2 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" bgColor=#003366 border=0><TBODY><TR class=noPrint vAlign=top align=left><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; TEXT-ALIGN: left" colSpan=2>

</TD></TR><TR><TD class="rolocolumn white" align=left colSpan=2> </TD></TR><!-- Purchase Year --><TR><TD class="rolocolumn white small" vAlign=top align=left width=92>Purchased:</TD><TD class="white small" align=left width=93>2002</TD></TR><!-- Owner type --><!-- state list --><TR><TD class="rolocolumn white small" align=left width=92>Where:</TD><TD class="white small" align=left width=93>Arkansas </TD></TR><!-- est. miles driven --><TR><TD class="rolocolumn white small" align=left width=92>Est. miles/year:</TD><TD class="white small" align=left width=93>---</TD></TR><!-- length owned --><TR><TD class="rolocolumn white small" vAlign=top width=92>Est. length owned:</TD><TD class="white small" id=OwnershipLength2 vAlign=top width=93>3/11/02 - 11/14/02
    (8 months)
    </TD></TR><TR class=noPrint vAlign=bottom><TD vAlign=bottom align=left colSpan=2>

</TD></TR><TR class=noPrint vAlign=top align=right bgColor=#ffffff><TD colSpan=2></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- cpo tile --></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left width=471><TABLE class=folderstyle id=recordTable2 style="HEIGHT: 145px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width=471 bgColor=#ffffff border=0><TBODY><TR class=oddrow id=detailsHeaderRow2><TD id=dateHeader2 align=left width="13%">Date:</TD><TD id=mileageHeader2 align=left width="13%">Mileage:</TD><TD id=sourceHeader2 align=left width="24%">Source:</TD><TD id=commentsHeader2 align=left width="50%">Comments:</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD vAlign=top align=left>03/11/2002 </TD><TD vAlign=top align=right></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>Arkansas
    Motor Vehicle Dept.
    Tyronza, AR
    Title #56030200599
    New owner reported
    Loan or lien reported
    </TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e6edf5"><TD align=right colSpan=4></TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD vAlign=top align=left>04/05/2002 </TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>46,074 </TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>Service Facility </TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>Vehicle serviced
    Engine serviced
    Transmission serviced
    </TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff"><TD align=right colSpan=4></TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD vAlign=top align=left>06/28/2002 </TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>49,327 </TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>Service Facility </TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>Vehicle serviced
    Brakes serviced
    Miscellaneous service performed
    </TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e6edf5"><TD align=right colSpan=4></TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD vAlign=top align=left>08/02/2002 </TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>50,860 </TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>Service Facility </TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>Vehicle serviced </TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff"><TD align=right colSpan=4></TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD vAlign=top align=left>09/06/2002 </TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>52,435 </TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>Service Facility </TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>Vehicle serviced
    </TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e6edf5"><TD align=right colSpan=4></TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD vAlign=top align=left>11/12/2002 </TD><TD vAlign=top align=right></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>Service Facility </TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>Vehicle serviced
    Miscellaneous service performed
    </TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff"><TD align=right colSpan=4></TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD vAlign=top align=left>11/14/2002 </TD><TD vAlign=top align=right></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>Dealer Inventory
    Arkansas
    </TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>Vehicle sold </TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e6edf5"><TD align=right colSpan=4></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=nopad bgColor=#ffffff colSpan=2></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle width="100%" height="100%"><TABLE class=ownerTabPrint id=tabTable3 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" bgColor=#003366 border=0><TBODY><TR class=noPrint vAlign=top align=left><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; TEXT-ALIGN: left" colSpan=2>

</TD></TR><TR><TD class="rolocolumn white" align=left colSpan=2> </TD></TR><!-- Purchase Year --><TR><TD class="rolocolumn white small" vAlign=top align=left width=92>Purchased:</TD><TD class="white small" align=left width=93>2002</TD></TR><!-- Owner type --><!-- state list --><TR><TD class="rolocolumn white small" align=left width=92>Where:</TD><TD class="white small" align=left width=93>Arkansas, Tennessee </TD></TR><!-- est. miles driven --><TR><TD class="rolocolumn white small" align=left width=92>Est. miles/year:</TD><TD class="white small" align=left width=93>---</TD></TR><!-- length owned --><TR><TD class="rolocolumn white small" vAlign=top width=92>Est. length owned:</TD><TD class="white small" id=OwnershipLength3 vAlign=top width=93>12/30/02 - present
    (5 yrs. 7 mo.)
    </TD></TR><TR class=noPrint vAlign=bottom><TD vAlign=bottom align=left colSpan=2>

</TD></TR><TR class=noPrint vAlign=top align=right bgColor=#ffffff><TD colSpan=2></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- cpo tile --></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left width=471><TABLE class=folderstyle id=recordTable3 style="HEIGHT: 145px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width=471 bgColor=#ffffff border=0><TBODY><TR class=oddrow id=detailsHeaderRow3><TD id=dateHeader3 align=left width="13%">Date:</TD><TD id=mileageHeader3 align=left width="13%">Mileage:</TD><TD id=sourceHeader3 align=left width="24%">Source:</TD><TD id=commentsHeader3 align=left width="50%">Comments:</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD vAlign=top align=left>12/30/2002 </TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>53,600 </TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>Arkansas
    Motor Vehicle Dept.
    Jonesboro, AR
    Title #16010226945
    New owner reported
    Loan or lien reported
    </TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e6edf5"><TD align=right colSpan=4></TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD vAlign=top align=left>08/18/2004 </TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>90,000 </TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>Tennessee
    Motor Vehicle Dept.
    Collierville, TN
    Title #70261142
    Loan or lien reported
    </TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff"><TD align=right colSpan=4></TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD vAlign=top align=left></TD><TD vAlign=top align=right></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

They are nice cars but they are tiny inside.

Ask Dennis Rienhart he can tell you everything about them.

as with most transmissions that use dextron/mercon fluid, its the fluid not the transmission at fault.
    a flush and change to full synthetic fluid will solve or greatly lessen most issues.

they are fun cars overall.
    03 Black sequence number #2228 of 7838. First day of Gold Coolant.

I always wanted one of these, But I was never a big fan of the angled dash in them. Would be more professional looking if it was nice and straight.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'04 Marauder #357 of 3213 - Built and Eaton swapped - "MERCD"
    '21 F150 XLT 5.0 Sport
    '18 Chevy Malibu Redline
    '15 Mustang GT, performance package
    '01 BMW 740i M-Sport, manual swapped
    '97 Lincoln Town Car (black on black)
    '10 Harley Ultra Limited
    '08 Kawasaki ZX6R
    '03 Grand Marquis(sold)

Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownMaraud3r View Post
    I always wanted one of these, But I was never a big fan of the angled dash in them. Would be more professional looking if it was nice and straight.

All the controls are angled towards the driver for access, thats the point of the dash

2016 Ford Mustang GT PP - Lund nGauge, BMR vertical links, MGW Shifter, BMR CB005

2004 Mercury Marauder - Eaton M112, Billetflow 3.4, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, T-56 Magnum, 4.10s, Stainless Works LTs, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, Ridetech Coilovers + Adj rear shocks, FX-R projectors, Wilwood 13" BNSL6 + FNSL4 BBKs, S55 Gauge Cluster
    440rwhp & 406rwtq Tuned by Adam @ Revolution Automotive
    2063/3214

(Sold) 2003 Mercury Marauder - Stainless Works LT's, Stainless Works 2.5" Catback, JLT Intake, Mo's Xcal4 Tune
    5377/7838

2000 BMW M5 - Evolve Intake, Evolve Alpha-N tune, Stoptech ST-40 BBK, UUC SSK, Dinan front STB, Dinan RSB

1996 Ford Bronco - 4" lift, 35" BFG A/T's, Punisher Valve Body, MH1 Projectors

Be careful, be very careful. I had a 98 for about 8 months a few years ago and absolutely loved it at first. Had trouble with the HID's (all 97-98 have HID's) and bought complete headlamp assemblies that were available for a little over $300 each wholesale. The trans acted up but replaced the 1-2 accumulator and broken springs along with synthetic fluid. All was good, until I had very poor heat and found that these cars have a bad servo that powers the blend door. The dash has to come out to fix this. Then I found the front end needed a total rebuild (common at around 100k miles). The suspension started acting up and not venting, luckily it was just the dryer part of the air suspension compressor. After this I called uncle and dumped the damn thing. The 2 best days I had with the car is the day I bought it and the day I sold it. If I were to buy another (which I won't), it would be a low mileage unit with a full service history at my disposal. I wouldn't ever consider buying one off ebay knowing what I know now.
    I like Big Fast Cars !

15 Avalon XLE Touring SE
    3.5 DOHC 268HP
    One of 2500

Arrow

Might also want to get in touch with HwyCruiser. He recently picked up one.

1. Black Sunshine (2003A F.I.T #3) (SOLD!)
    2. 2004 SAP P71 (Gone)
    3. The 2001 P71 (Flying Snow). (Sold)
    4. The 1998 P71 Jinbei. (Sold)
    5. 1990 5.7L IROC-Z (Sold)

Keeping a black car clean is not a hobby. It's a part-time job.

Support the troops.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information