Thread: Advertising

Advertising

I saw more ads last night watching TV for the new F-150 then I have seem for the Marauder in the last year and half! Just wondering how many Marauders they would have sold if it had gotten all this press? Go ford!

2003 Marauder 300A Owner
    Born 6/2/02
    Came home with me home 6/24/02
    [img]

It's kinda clear now that with the info on the extra engine's with nowhere to put them debacle, this was just an engineering excercise.
    63 1/2' Merc 406 (434ci) tri-powered "Ratsmoker"

amerikan Guest
    I've been asking myself this since i bought the car. I actually like the idea that theyre so rare!

Marauder57 Guest
    I thought I read that the Ford has $40 Million they are going to spend on F150 Advertising alone....might even be more than that.....I would suspect that there will be alot of the F150 stuff on the Game tonight.....

That's the problem no advertising = No Sales. Word of mouth just dosen't get it. IMHO.
    2003 Marauder 300B,
    6468 out of 7839 - Thanks Brian
    Heated Seats
    35% Tint
    Mercury All Weather Mats
    Trunk Organizer - Thanks MartyO
    Sold 4/3/2009 Now resides in AL.
    1961 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible
    1973 Oldsmobile Toronado
    2012 Kia Sedona Van
    2008 Corvette Convertible
    2003 Marauder 300 A Thanks Larry O 6/14/17
    2021 Prius Prime Limited
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado High Country
    Member # 440
    ----- John

amerikan Guest
    yeah jgc youre right. And as for the f150.... so ugly!!!!if it wasnt an f150 it would'nt sell.

Originally posted by jgc61sr2002
    That's the problem no advertising = No Sales. Word of mouth just dosen't get it. IMHO.
    Word of mouth seems to work for the Cobra, Mach 1, and Lightning. The only advertisement I've seen for these vehciles is through magazine articles which Ford doesn't pay for anyway. I've seen the same for Marauder. IMO, Ford would have advertised the MM more if it would have paid off. But, I don't think the demand for this type of vehicle is there. You can argue that advertisement would increase sales, which is true, but, only to a certain point. If a vehicle is going to sell well, it doesn't take a lot of advertisement - just enough to get the ball rolling.

The reason Ford is pushing the new F150 so much is that its future basically rides on this one vehicle. It makes Ford the most money by far. Automobile competition is so fierce, Ford cannot afford to lose its market share of its top money maker.

True true true! The F-series is the money maker. With out it Ford would be in sad sad shape.
    Member # 383.

2003 Marauder Black.

Build 8/13/02

Launched 9/28/02

Sold May 16, 2018

#3,646 of 7,839 black '03

1995 Ford F-150. Mark III 2wd, reg. cab

2011 F-150 Lariat crew cab 4X4 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost

Fate rarely call upon us at a monent of our choosing.

http://www.usdebtclock.org/index.html

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    Word of mouth works for the Cobra, Lightning, and Mach1 because they are "in the spotlight" cars.
    With the exception of the the Mach1 (has Mustang going for it) the Cobra and Lightning have had a few years to develop "word of mouth" The first version of the Lightning was short-lived, and word of mouth did nothing to help it until it was gone, which is one reason they brought it back.

The advertising for the Marauder was inadequate from the start, and didn't even lat six months. Just last weekend I ran into more people who had no clue that a car like the Marauder even existed. They were car people too!
    It takes more than one model cycle to develop effective word of mouth
    Member Number 32

Originally posted by TripleTransAm
    An interesting side note: this isn't the same forum I used to post on for years, and I've been doing a lot of reading over the past 48 hours on both sites. Looks like there's been a serious splintering. I never thought it'd be possible for this to happen to a group of owners of a car model that sold no more than 14000 copies over 2 model years. Kind of scary, when thinking of the scale. Makes one think that maybe it'd be a good idea to do some introspection and think about what each of us needs to do to build a solid community, analyze what it is we're all honestly looking for by belonging to this community.

bigslim Guest
    The figure for F150 advertising is more like 100 million. They have to bet the farm on it. It is their bread and butter. One problem with the MM was it was about four years too late. Also if it had more off the line punch it would have done better. A lot of publications dogged it saying a V6 Honda could beat it. I hear when the MM returns in 2006 or 2007 it will be what this car should have been.

In the DFW area, we've been inundated with TV spots for the GM, camparing it to the Buick Lesabre. Nowhere in the spot do they even mention or show the Marauder. I agree with everyone else: no advertising = NO sales.
    Dean P. ~ Racerx88
    2004 Mercury Marauder 300A

Silver Birch/Charcoal
    Dig Around in My Garage

Originally posted by RCSignals
    Word of mouth works for the Cobra, Lightning, and Mach1 because they are "in the spotlight" cars.
    With the exception of the the Mach1 (has Mustang going for it) the Cobra and Lightning have had a few years to develop "word of mouth" The first version of the Lightning was short-lived, and word of mouth did nothing to help it until it was gone, which is one reason they brought it back.

The advertising for the Marauder was inadequate from the start, and didn't even lat six months. Just last weekend I ran into more people who had no clue that a car like the Marauder even existed. They were car people too!
    It takes more than one model cycle to develop effective word of mouth
    RC - Word of mouth apparantly doesn't work for the MM because many dealers still have 300A's in stock.
    2003 Marauder 300B,
    6468 out of 7839 - Thanks Brian
    Heated Seats
    35% Tint
    Mercury All Weather Mats
    Trunk Organizer - Thanks MartyO
    Sold 4/3/2009 Now resides in AL.
    1961 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible
    1973 Oldsmobile Toronado
    2012 Kia Sedona Van
    2008 Corvette Convertible
    2003 Marauder 300 A Thanks Larry O 6/14/17
    2021 Prius Prime Limited
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado High Country
    Member # 440
    ----- John

I've never seen an ad for a Cobra in 93 or for a Lightning ever. There were press releases in the beginning. But, that's all I saw (other than magazine articles which Ford doesn't write). There is not much demand for large sedans anymore except for retail vehicles. The ones who want a large vehicle are not looking for a performance sedan and vice versa IMO. Those who want a performance sedan go for BMWs, etc. which aren't much more money. I think Ford planned for about 20000 MMs a year. But, they're only selling about 8000/yr from what I hear (which is the same volume as Cobra BTW). Plus, $35k for this vehicle is way too high. They prices have come down. But, it hasn't improved sales much.

The MM can be considered a spotlight vehicle just like the Cobra and Lightning. The first Lightning wasn't much of a performer like the current one. Most Mustang, Cobra, and Lightning owners know about the MM. Most of them didn't run out and buy one.

Like I said, if Ford would have seen returns, they would have advertised more.

If Marauder and TBird sales die, it's a hiccup to Ford.

If the F150 doesn't sell, it's a catastrophe for Ford.

Maybe that's why they are starting to hint about new car models and motors, not just retrofits of existing platforms.

Maybe Ford realizes that too many eggs are in the 150's basket, and there better be a fallback if the Toyotas/Nissans/Honda products start to impact Ford's truck sales.

At least that's what car guys hope Ford is doing.

The Marauder (and TBird) market was limited, so high volume sales were never expected. If you were Ford, where would you put your advertising dollar? On the money maker, or the specialty line?

We all know the answer, and, for Ford, it's the right one.

Thread Information