Thread: Hey builder types...

Hey builder types...

Do I need an attic fan?

Previous owners had installed a roof with NO venting. Thanks to a tree, we replaced that roof last summer with a good 30-year roof with a nice vent along the top.

Anyway, the obviously 20+ year old attic fan was being run from an automatic thermostat up there - when it got to a certain temp it would kick on. We left it in place when we did the roof.

The last week or so the fan got noticeably louder and yesterday made too much noise for me to let it live. Do I even need to bother replacing it? It seems most (if not all) of the energy saved by blowing the air out of the attic would be spent running the fan. That, and we have not more than a year left in this house before we move, I'm guessing.

Anyone know whether it's worth having a fan up there? Or am I missing something crucial we need from running one?
    Self-importance is our greatest enemy. Think about it - what weakens us is feeling offended by the deeds and misdeeds of our fellowmen. Our self-importance requires that we spend most of our lives offended by someone. -- Carlos Castaneda

Thumbs up Replace the Fan

Attic fans are inexpensive and provide a significant improvement in air flow and reduced AC costs. Since the fan only has to be replaced it should not be a difficult job. I have a 3,200 SF 2 story house and have two large roof attic fans that do a great job in Atlanta. I also have one in my garage loft. They also reduce moisture build-up in the attics. I would replace it.

Glenn
    Trilogy #124 SOLD - 8/2014
    11.80 @ 117.16 MPH: SSHS9
    1.74 sec - 60'
    443 RWHP/437 RWTQ
    "Stock Internal Engine" - Click Below

Most definately replace. The vent system that you are reffering to on your roof is referred to as ridge vent and is the best possible venting system to date but will never do as good a job as a fan. Fans kick on at the temp. that you set it to and i recommend about 130 degrees. Your ridge vent is sufficient enough up to that temp. Fans are very inexpensive and very easy to replace however i find it easier to replace the hole unit as every manufacturer has differences in mounting of the motor and with your roof just being replaced it would be a sinch to relace the entire unit.
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Replace it, our attic gets fawking hot until it kicks on. its definitely needed!

2016 Ford Mustang GT PP - Lund nGauge, BMR vertical links, MGW Shifter, BMR CB005

2004 Mercury Marauder - Eaton M112, Billetflow 3.4, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, T-56 Magnum, 4.10s, Stainless Works LTs, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, Ridetech Coilovers + Adj rear shocks, FX-R projectors, Wilwood 13" BNSL6 + FNSL4 BBKs, S55 Gauge Cluster
    440rwhp & 406rwtq Tuned by Adam @ Revolution Automotive
    2063/3214

(Sold) 2003 Mercury Marauder - Stainless Works LT's, Stainless Works 2.5" Catback, JLT Intake, Mo's Xcal4 Tune
    5377/7838

2000 BMW M5 - Evolve Intake, Evolve Alpha-N tune, Stoptech ST-40 BBK, UUC SSK, Dinan front STB, Dinan RSB

1996 Ford Bronco - 4" lift, 35" BFG A/T's, Punisher Valve Body, MH1 Projectors

If there is no way for air to freely come into the attic via soffit vents then your ridge vent is next to usless,even if you have soffit venting on an older home i'm sure noone took the time to move the insulation out of the way so the air can get thru.... replace the fan,better yet look up the right size fan for the cubic feet of space for your attic and install that one.
    Originally Posted by LIGHTNIN1
    ... As for the rest of the Washigton crowd, I think we would be better off in the hands of the Somali Pirates.

2004 Black Mercury Marauder
    2057 of 3213
    K&N CAI
    Lidio 93 Octane Tune
    4.10 FRPP Gears
    MagnaFlow SS Mufflers and Tips
    Fuel Filter Upgrade Motorcraft FG800A or equivalent
    Ford part number N807055S hood squeak fix
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ASK FOR MOTORCRAFT OIL AND FILTER WHEN GETTING YOUR OIL CHANGED AT A FORD GARAGE <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I concur , replace the attic fan.
    2003 Marauder 300B,
    6468 out of 7839 - Thanks Brian
    Heated Seats
    35% Tint
    Mercury All Weather Mats
    Trunk Organizer - Thanks MartyO
    Sold 4/3/2009 Now resides in AL.
    1961 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible
    1973 Oldsmobile Toronado
    2012 Kia Sedona Van
    2008 Corvette Convertible
    2003 Marauder 300 A Thanks Larry O 6/14/17
    2021 Prius Prime Limited
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado High Country
    Member # 440
    ----- John

I have the ridge vent also and have 2 fans..... I'd replace it and maybe even install another one if possible.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

I do have ventilation from the soffits and yes they are clear of insulation. The main concern here is moisture, not temps as lots of houses around here don't have fans. I think I will replace it since a fan is only $60 and the install is about 1/2 hour.

Thanks for the replies.
    Self-importance is our greatest enemy. Think about it - what weakens us is feeling offended by the deeds and misdeeds of our fellowmen. Our self-importance requires that we spend most of our lives offended by someone. -- Carlos Castaneda

What is an attic fan? Up here your attic is a cold space insulated from the rest of your house by huge amounts of fibreglass batten or other insulations.

Pipes do run through it and some are vented but rarely do they have fans on them except for some that use wind powered fans to pull air out to prevent CO build up.

Thread Information