Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5.4L (330cid) DOHC 32V

5.4L (330cid) DOHC 32V

The 5.4L DOHC 32V motor is available in the new 2003 Ford Falcon XR8 in Australia for 2003! This is essentially a 00 Mustang Cobra R setup. Ford says the 5.4 won't fit in the Panther because the engine is too wide. The Falcon is a much smaller car and it fits in their no problem. I think the 5.4 can fit without a problem in a Panther, the problem is Ford is also right in saying it won't fit bacause the Panther is a body-on-frame design and the manufacturing/assembly process suggests that the body go down on a frame with the driveline (and engine) already in place. In this case, the 5.4's heads would likely challenge the large shock towers and would be a problem (sliding one in afterwards from the top shouldn't be a problem but it just can't happen on the assembly line).

North America is supposed to get a version of the Australian Falcon sometime soon.

GEO

The reason the 5.4L won't fit in a Panther is C.A.F.E.

Your goverment at work.
    Bishop 95 BBB Impala SS
    Headers, Intake, Yada, yada, yada, 14.7

Australia doesn't have near the environmental regs that North America does....

Cobra has gas guzzler tax, why not the marauder?

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh don't ask
    2 shoes and a nice pair of comfy socks

Geo: Where did you hear we might be getting a Falcon in the good ol' USofA? I drove various Falcons in Australia in 1994 and they were great cars...very comfortable for me with a bad back to drive long distances, and ALL distances in Oz are long!

For those who haven't seen one, the Falcon is sort of a cross between a big Mustang and a Taurus with RWD...I think it would probably be a niche seller here in America, but they're a really neat car.

Check it out: http://www.ford.com.au/home/home.asp

They got some nice rides... Wonder if it would be posable to import one...
    Gone, but not forgotten

"I don't drink beer, I drink Guinness."

Many automobile media authorities have been talking about the importation of the new Falcon to the United States or Canada and the United States for quite some time.

It was said that the vehicle was to be positioned between the Taurus/Sable and the Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis.

There has also been talk about a police interceptor version.

There is no one source for this info as I have been hearing about it for a couple of years now; although it may still never happen as I don't believe Ford has commited to the idea officially (unlike GM which has officially claimed that the Pontiac GTO will come in 2004 based on the Australian Holden 2dr V-body Monaro and be LS1 powered). Originally it was to be called the Fairlane which has been also availabe in Australia based on the same platform.

What I was certain on, however, was that the new Fairlane or Falcon wouldn't arrive until it was totally revamped from it's current iteration (1998 I believe) which seemed to make financial sense as the cost for the development would be spread out by offering the vehicle in Australia AND in North America. The theory was that the new Falcon would be DEW98 based (which is a fine world-car platform) would save money and ensure future affordabe RWD V8 performance cars in Australia and make North American customers happy at the same time.

From what I have seen, however, the new 03 Falcon (otherwise called the BA Falcon) is still seemingly based on the existing platform albeit extensively updated. This is surprising as Ford apparently was convinced to spent alot of money on what was considered a major revamp as opposed to just a face-lift. I still believe that the DEW98 will take over the car at some point and we won't likely see the car availabe here until then. By then, Ford USA will likely be able to build a version here alongside the Mustang, LS and Thunderbird which share the same platform (the Jag S-Type also shared the platform).

Interestingly, you can still get a pushrod OHV engine as an option on one of the MANY Falcon performance models which is the 5.6L 347cid Windsor V8; check out that Ford Australia site mentioned above my post.

http://www.motortrend.com/future/ is one source for future cars and the Fairlane/Falcon had been mentioned here as a 2004 for quite some time. However, that has been since updated to a 2005 Ford Galaxie and is mentioned to be DEW98 based and, ofcourse, RWD.

as far as importing one into the US, you'd have to make sure it can receive emmisions certification and ofcourse it would be right-hand-drive. Unlike Holden, which makes left-hand-drive models for South America and the Middle East, I don't know of any such program for Australian Fords. Interestingly, they sell modified right-hand-drive Mustangs though so converting one yourself can be done but... time, money, time?

Ford is supposed to be commited to the Panther until at least 2010 from what I have heard. Not bad for a 1979 car, I hope I have enough scratch when the last one comes of the line because I want it (in red).

GEO

Why does NBC shooter have a pic of a Marauder with a 5.4 badge in the photo gallery.

Is there something going on that I missed.

Why is it the "other" countrys get all neat cars??
    Member # 383.

2003 Marauder Black.

Build 8/13/02

Launched 9/28/02

Sold May 16, 2018

#3,646 of 7,839 black '03

1995 Ford F-150. Mark III 2wd, reg. cab

2011 F-150 Lariat crew cab 4X4 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost

Fate rarely call upon us at a monent of our choosing.

http://www.usdebtclock.org/index.html

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    I heard the 5.4 is too tall for the Panther as well, and would require a huge unsightly bulge in the hood
    Last edited by RCSignals; 06-19-2003 at 01:19 AM.
    Member Number 32

Originally posted by TripleTransAm
    An interesting side note: this isn't the same forum I used to post on for years, and I've been doing a lot of reading over the past 48 hours on both sites. Looks like there's been a serious splintering. I never thought it'd be possible for this to happen to a group of owners of a car model that sold no more than 14000 copies over 2 model years. Kind of scary, when thinking of the scale. Makes one think that maybe it'd be a good idea to do some introspection and think about what each of us needs to do to build a solid community, analyze what it is we're all honestly looking for by belonging to this community.

You can order any car from a manufacture as right or left hand drive at no aditional cost. ADA requires it. The 5.4 isn't taller so much as just bulkier all around. It is deeper by a couple inches, wider by a couple inches, and taller by a couple inches. And in manufacuring inches are how the game is played.
    Gone, but not forgotten

"I don't drink beer, I drink Guinness."

Crown Vic Guest
    The engine is actually too tall for the Panther platform cars. The 5.4L has a much taller deck than the 4.6L. It will fit but you'd need a new hood with a cowl or something.

In the good old days nearly all true muscle cars had some kind of hump or opening on the hood...why...hopefully you had too much motor to cram in the engine compartment or you just needed mucho air to go along with that big ol high rise with 1 or more Holleys...light em up and hang on...so IMHO what's wrong with some hood modifications...
    ---------------------------------------
    2003 Marauder BLACK
    SS inserts
    Addco sway bars
    JLT CAI
    4.10's
    MO's custom tune
    275 rwhp/303 lbs. torque

Whats wrong?
    Nothing at all
    But I LOVE stealth.
    Gone, but not forgotten