Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slack in Driveline

Slack in Driveline

When running at low speed in all gears (about 1k or a little more)
    tapping the throttle quickly I get a noise(clunk) when the torque converter spins up to about 2k. Didn't do it when it was new but
    dealership says that is normal just the torque converter locking up. Had reverse problems, they pulled trans and repaired and
    put in rebuilt torque converter but did't help the slack. They say
    everything checks ok. Any one else had this problem? My first
    post, hope I'm in the right place.

Bob

You are at the right place, these people have realy helped me and my dealership with answers. Just give them a little time to respond. My MM has been in the shop for 2 weeks now with numerous repairs & adjustments. It had been sitting on the lot for almost a year. I had to wait till they priced it where I could get it. My MM has 3K miles on it now and the dealership has rented me a loaner till repairs are completed. Once I get it back with the final work performed, I will post it for everyones info.
    Marcus Hyde
    Living the dream in my MM.

Rat - Welcome to the site. Your definately in the right place. This is Marauder country, the best site on the net thanks to Logan and LML.
    2003 Marauder 300B,
    6468 out of 7839 - Thanks Brian
    Heated Seats
    35% Tint
    Mercury All Weather Mats
    Trunk Organizer - Thanks MartyO
    Sold 4/3/2009 Now resides in AL.
    1961 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible
    1973 Oldsmobile Toronado
    2012 Kia Sedona Van
    2008 Corvette Convertible
    2003 Marauder 300 A Thanks Larry O 6/14/17
    2021 Prius Prime Limited
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado High Country
    Member # 440
    ----- John

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    I don't think you should be hearing a loud "clunk" but you should feel the torque converter lock up. Sometimes it's almost like it has shifted into another gear
    Member Number 32

Originally posted by TripleTransAm
    An interesting side note: this isn't the same forum I used to post on for years, and I've been doing a lot of reading over the past 48 hours on both sites. Looks like there's been a serious splintering. I never thought it'd be possible for this to happen to a group of owners of a car model that sold no more than 14000 copies over 2 model years. Kind of scary, when thinking of the scale. Makes one think that maybe it'd be a good idea to do some introspection and think about what each of us needs to do to build a solid community, analyze what it is we're all honestly looking for by belonging to this community.

Presuming you're still all "bone stock," I remember this problem from my first MM. My answer was to turn the OD off in city driving, under 40-50 MPH. This will cause no harm, just a slight impact on MPG. IMHO...1000-1500 RPM is too low an RPM to be running in OD in city traffic, and unlocking the TC at these speeds would cause the "clunk" you speak of because you're lugging the engine down. Try a drive around with the OD shut off, you should see the problem go away...IMHO.

It doesn't make any difference with Od locked out, it does it when
    locked into second gear or 3rd I'm probably not explaining it right. If the car is basically coasting in any gear and the throttle is tapped there is a click or clunk sounds like steel to steel when the tach spins up to arrrox. 2k. This started when the car had
    about 8k on it. Car is stock except K&N Filter. Bought a Superchips tuner but gear and speedo didn't work sent it back
    in and waiting for that feature to be added. Had the same slack
    with the Superchips Performance program installed. Dealerships in my area know nothing about a Marauder and if you call the hotline the only thing that they will tell you is how great a car that is.

Bob

My only reply would be a chip from Dennis...

How does that song go, RF?

'Call Dennis Reinhart...
    That's the name...
    And away goes bad shifts...
    Down the drain..."

sung to the old Roto-Rooter tune, I think

Originally posted by TAF
    sung to the old Roto-Rooter tune, I think
    Brought to you by the resident sewer expert!

Smile Clunk

The sound that you are describing reminds me more of a problem with u-joints or incorrect rear-end gears backlash then of a torque converter locking up, the key here is you said "it sounds metal-to-metal" the converter lock-up is more like something you "feel" while a "clunk" that you hear makes me suspect u-joints, rear-end or possibly the transmission mount. Good luck.
    Smokie
    12.79 @ 107 mph.
    60' 1.851 Street tires & Stock wheels.
    TIMESLIPS
    Performance Mods: Base Trilogy Kit, Exhaust, PHP Airbox.
    Visit my Garage
    Florida "The Supercharged State"

Originally posted by martyo
    Brought to you by the resident sewer expert!
    D'OH!

(I'm just glad he's picking on someone ELSE for a change...)

The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Originally posted by RF Overlord
    D'OH!

(I'm just glad he's picking on someone ELSE for a change...)

You should be flattered. I only pick on those that I love!

Re: Clunk

Originally posted by Smokie
    The sound that you are describing reminds me more of a problem with u-joints or incorrect rear-end gears backlash then of a torque converter locking up, the key here is you said "it sounds metal-to-metal" the converter lock-up is more like something you "feel" while a "clunk" that you hear makes me suspect u-joints, rear-end or possibly the transmission mount. Good luck.
    I agree with Smokie, the added description of "metal to metal" indicates loosness in the drive line you should not have.

If you can get access to a lift that frees the tires, leave it in neutral and get under the car. Twist the driveshaft by hand and see where you can find play. There should not be very much. Start at the tail shaft and work backwards, and you should be able to narrow it down.

Be advised that there is a TSB on panther rear ends. Bad OEM bearings cause unusual and excessive premature wear on axels and pinion, some get noisy, others may just get lose. The TSB # is 03-05-55 (I think) and it calls for a rear end rebuild with new bearing and axels. Remember to shut off your air suspension before lifting the tires off the ground. Best wishes on this.

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    What you are describing sounds like my 1957 Ford with T85 and overdrive, when overdrive is engaged.

(I just sold that car, if anyone cares )
    Member Number 32

Originally posted by TripleTransAm
    An interesting side note: this isn't the same forum I used to post on for years, and I've been doing a lot of reading over the past 48 hours on both sites. Looks like there's been a serious splintering. I never thought it'd be possible for this to happen to a group of owners of a car model that sold no more than 14000 copies over 2 model years. Kind of scary, when thinking of the scale. Makes one think that maybe it'd be a good idea to do some introspection and think about what each of us needs to do to build a solid community, analyze what it is we're all honestly looking for by belonging to this community.

That sounds just like what my car has done since I had the 4.10's installed by Dennis. I to took it to a Ford Dealer(Did not want to take it to mine because of mods) and they to said it was normal. I had it up on a lift and could not determine if it coming up form the tranny or the rear end. I kind of thought it was the backlash , but I have not had it looked at yet. It is hard to ignore though for "being normal!"

Let me know what you come up with!

-J
    Jason
    03 Mercury Marauder 300A
    - 266RWHP and 285RWTQ
    - Custom Engine Tuning by Jerry
    - Custom Tranny Settings by Lidio
    - 4.10's
    - Denso IT-20's, 180D Stat
    - JLT RAI
    - Underdrive Pulleys
    - P.I. Stallion Torque Converter 3500 Stall
    - Flowmaster Super 40s
    - Megs Pre-production Exhaust Tips
    - Viper Responder Alarm/Remote Start
    - 25% Window Tint
    - Bob White Bumper Inserts (Ruby Red Reflective)
    - God's Head Steering Wheel Emblem
    - Car Motorsports God's Head Front and Rear Badges
    - Infinity Kappa 202A Amp 600 Watts
    - Alpine Type-R 12" Sub

Don't have much hope of getting it resolved Jw unless it breaks what I have found in the past with the dealerships in my area if it will still roll under it's own power that is natural or ok. I was told by the dealership where I bought it that the Marauder had the same set up as the F-250 and was the only two that Ford made that had that set up. Everything has supposedly been checked
    Drivelline etc. If it did it shifting from Neutral to reverse or Drive I would say that it had a U-Joint out however that part of it is quiet. If I knew how to just break that part of it I would in a heart beat. They pulled the TRanny and replaced Reverse Drum
    etc and changed the torque converter when I think all that was needed was the Linkeage adjusted. Very Disgusted

Bob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information