Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: backpack leaf blowers

backpack leaf blowers

I'm pretty much done for this year, but I'm thinking next year I may want to upgrade to a bigger leaf blower than the hand held ones I have now.

anybody have any preferences? I would like one with 40:1 mix ratio, but I can live without if necessary.

I have a few acres of "forest" to tend to, and the leaves are overwhelming at times.
    03 Black sequence number #2228 of 7838. First day of Gold Coolant.

I've always wanted one but would look like a tool with my two trees. (they are big LOL)
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

10 h.p Billygoat 4stroke. I dont know why I waited! Best time saving piece of equipment Ive purchased!

I have a Kawasaki 50:1 ratio. Not sure of the HP but I love it. WAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY better than hand held.
    No Matter Where You Go, There You Are.

.............................. ........
    Last edited by Aren Jay; 01-29-2009 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by justbob View Post
    I've always wanted one but would look like a tool with my two trees. (they are big LOL)
    reminds me of a spongebob episode
    2010 fusion se

Quote Originally Posted by whd507 View Post
    I'm pretty much done for this year, but I'm thinking next year I may want to upgrade to a bigger leaf blower than the hand held ones I have now.

anybody have any preferences? I would like one with 40:1 mix ratio, but I can live without if necessary.

I have a few acres of "forest" to tend to, and the leaves are overwhelming at times.
    Hopefully I will get a pic or few of mine and my leave sucker this week while off--I have a forest--so I have a big sucker--so to speek--
    Last edited by Marauderman; 11-30-2008 at 08:37 PM.
    03' MM Black 300 A - (FOR SALE--)
    Build Date 6/25/02 - #1,987 of 7,839 for '03
    Vortech T- TRIM -Water to Air -
    12.45 at 109.6 MPH
    1.92 Sec .- 60 '
    Alt .SSHS 9 --11/7/09

'06 CV P71 Street Pkg
    Interior Marauder Floor Shift
    All New Parts

'12 F-150 KingRanch Off Rd Pkg.
    373 Gear EcoBoost- Does What's Asked

In Memoriam....11-14-13
    He loved this site so MUCH! and the Members More!!

Rex Weinbender (SC Cheesehead)

One of the best friend a person could have

Go out and get yourself a Stihl BR420. I take care of four farmsteads, hundereds of miles of ditches and a school so i take care of about sixty acres worth of grass and you cant beat a Stihl!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    03 300A Black Marauder
    Ford Racing 4:10 Gears
    K&N Cone Air Filter
    Tune
    Matching Polished Spare

Quote Originally Posted by 03Farmmarauder View Post
    Go out and get yourself a Stihl BR420. I take care of four farmsteads, hundereds of miles of ditches and a school so i take care of about sixty acres worth of grass and you cant beat a Stihl!!!

All my Stihl tools work like the da y I bought them!Saw, blower, trimmer, edger...

04 Crown Victoria Sport

2008 Harley Davidson Nightrain- sold....

2016 Harley Davidson Street Glide - Olive Gold

1995 F150 4x2 4.9 5spd

1995 Schwinn High Plains 21 speed, custom gearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Marauderman View Post
    Hopefully I will get a pic or few of mine and my leave sucker this week while off--I have a forest--so I have a big sucker--so to speak--
    I can attest to that! Leaf sucker that is...................
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

I always wondered why they even bothered to print Leaf Blower operating instructions in any language OTHER than Spanish.

2020 Ford Ranger STX DFI Turbo 2.3L 10 speed Auto
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)
    1984 Mustang GT 2.3 Turbo Convertible FI. 5 speed manual
    1966 427 Cobra (ERA) 468 all Aluminum FE 2x4bbl 5 speed manual

SOLD : 2003 Mercury Marauder FI. 4 speed Auto
    w/Crower Cams & Springs, +1mm SS valves, mild port job on the cylinder heads.
    Extrude honed intake w/PHP spacer.
    Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    SVO Rearend Girdle, Redline Gear lube; OEM 3.55s
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge
    Built: 10/15/02 Bought: 12/16/02 Sold: 10/15/18

We used to use all Stihl backpacks, the last batch being BR420s. At the time they were "king of the hill", but even with their newest backpacks they have failed to keep competitive with the rest of the market. Plus, they are always a pain to start!

What are you dealing with? What size lot? heavily wooded or just a few trees? Lots of beds or pretty much straight-out / just lawn?

If you have some serious leaves to take care of, invest in one of these:

We started using these a few years ago when they first launched. The cinder block demonstration sold us (The dealer put a cinder block on the parking lot, and at full throttle could blow it along the pavement)
    We have never had a problem with them other than the muffler recall that was serviced.
    In the fall, they are run basically all day long without a break. The first ones we bought are still in service.
    They are still the most powerful backpack blower on the market, with the highest CFM rating at the tube. (Don't go by housing CFM ratings, or CC alone)

The engine is a 79.7cc 4.5 hp 4 stroke OHV, but it runs on 2-cycle mix gas. (50:1, we normally use Echo's powerblend mix since it is readily available)
    If you have used a 2 stroke blower for any extended period I'm sure you know how fuel inefficient they are. The 4 stroke uses much less fuel. Drawback would be weight as it is a bit heavier than most backpacks, after an hour or so you will start to notice it.

They are more expensive, but it's worth it. Every dealer will have demo units so I suggest you try each one and see for yourself
    A handheld blower is a joke by comparison

Prior to the 8510s we were running (Shindaiwa) EB630s. Also an AWESOME blower at the time, but it doesn't hold a candle to the new ones.

A new version of the 8510 (the 8520) is soon to be released, with a more comfortable backrest design and a few engine improvements. If you find the 8510 uncomfortable you should wait for the new model which should be out in January as we've been told.
    But, because it is being discontinued you can get huge discounts on the 8510s right now.
    Shindaiwa also recently released a standard two stroke model with the same CFM/MPH specs as the 8510 and the new backrest design if you're dead set on staying two stroke.

If that is way more power than you need, I HIGHLY recommend the Shindaiwa EB630 I mentioned earlier. Those were the most reliable backpacks we had ever used, even when abused - and they always start on the first pull. It's not worth going with a less expensive, less powerful blower like a typical home-owner Echo backpack. You get the job done in half the time and with less frustration with good equipment
    -My Homepage and Panther tech-

My Mint 96' Mercury Grand Marquis Supercharged LSE -
    Modifications
    Click My Merc for more Pics!

Several flower beds, a couple of roads. lots of hills, and 10 acres of trees and rocks. I like to blow them to their demise, so I can burn them away from the house.
    the old people in the neighborhood have strokes when I burn, its hella fun...
    03 Black sequence number #2228 of 7838. First day of Gold Coolant.

Start the flame war

Stihl is junk. Aluminum main shaft brakes.Rebuild is cost of new unit.
    Echo is junk, only rated for 150 hours of duty and carbs die.
    Astron is strongest with all metal assembly but crews think it is too quiet and low CFM.
    Shindawa is so -so.

I run crews of PFFC*, they treat the equipment bad, especially if they do not like it, so I buy everything to try, at least 2 units of each kind at a time. If I found something I liked I would switch to that brand. Each company made something good at one time and then tries to get the manufacturing costs down and then they have problems. Each brand has owners forums out there just like this place and you get a look at the good and the bad.
    Allot of people are looking for affirmation of what they bought and by convincing you to get what they got confirms that they bought the right one ( herd mentality).
    We use Amsoil at 100:1 in all of our 2 stroke engines and have never had a failure and when we do a tear down the are by far cleaner inside and less carbon build up than any other oil we tried.
    *pc way of saying people from ******** country's.

Quote Originally Posted by 03Farmmarauder View Post

Ditto on the Stihl.
    All of my chainsaws are Stihls.

However, I recently bought (at Lowes) the biggest badest comercial grade back pack blower they carry. It's a Husqavarna. I know...Husq=high end sears...but I go through a blower every two seasons. Running it 6-9 hours straight for as many as 12 days in a fall season tends to burn cylinders and exhaust parts. This one has a 4yr full warranty and cost about $400 out the door with the additional 3 year warranty.

It is very powerfull, very quiet, and has little vibration. At times with my ear gear on I think it may have stalled when it's idling. Very smooth and quiet. I like A LOT!

Husqvarna, 150BT, Pro/Commercial Grade Backpack Gas Blower, 50CC, 2.1HP, 2-Cycle X-Torq Engine, E-Tech II Emission Control, Maximum Air Speed 180 MPH, Maximum Air Flow In Housing/Pipe 692/495 CFM, Ergonomic, Tube-Mounted Throttle Handle With 360 Degree Rotation, Comfortable Padded Harness With Load-Reducing Hip Belt For Less Fatigue During Operation, Lightweight At Only 22.5 LB, 2 Year Limited Warranty For Consumer Use, 1 Year Limited Warranty For Pro/Commercial Use, Not Available For Sale In California.

• Manufacturer: HUSQVARNA FOREST & GARDEN
    • Model Number: 965102302
    • UPC code: 705788505074
    • SKU: 845034
    2017 Niro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information