Thread: New guy here/Any Cyclone GT fans?

New guy here/Any Cyclone GT fans?

Great site! Found it a couple weeks ago and have been eagerly digesting all this great info on my new Marauder, which I purchased at the end of July.

Any Cyclone fans around here? I have been thinking about trying to find one like my late father had: '68 GT with 390 4v, medium lime metallic. Not much info on the web about them that I could find. If anyone has any tips on where to look for info, I'd be grateful.

Welcome khc3, their's a site with all kinds of info you which you can ask just about anything and get an answer about the Old Merc's and Fords, the FE forum at----www.network54.com/hide/forum/74182
    63 1/2' Merc 406 (434ci) tri-powered "Ratsmoker"

Welcome khc3, go to Lycos and type in Mercury Cyclone, and see what comes up. There are a bucnh of Cyclone sites out there.
    I've got a '70 Cyclone GT with a Scott Schafiroff built 351-C putting out over 400 hp. with a C-4. My younger brother also has a '70 GT with a mild 351-C. There is a Cyclone registry out there as well. Run by Robert Day. He's got lots of great info!
    My daily driver: '04 DTR Crown Vic Sport !

Wahr wahr My little DTR

I'm gonna turn it on
    Wind it up
    Blow it out
    D T R

Check out the International Mercury Owner's Association (IMOA). They have a neat website at www.mercuryclub.com

The IMOA is a well known and established group representing 65 years of Mercury automobiles, if it's not here, it ain't.

Their quarterly publication, Quicksilver, is a slick production, and they get into a lot of shows and organized events on a nationwide basis.

It's a paid membership, but well worth the 40 bucks per year. I strongly urge ALL Mercury owners to check this out.

Anyone wanting more 411, feel free to contact me at SergntMac@aol.com I can e-mail you a membership application, but you can join at www.mercuryclub.com too.

Love the Cyclone GT.

I had a new Madras Blue (turquoise) 68 Cyclone fastback GT with

1) CJ428 functional ram air scoop and hood decal
    2) Keystone Classic wheels,
    3) Ford hood locking pins,
    4) blacked out headlight rims to match the blacked out grille,
    5) Polyglas GT tires,
    6) 3:50 rear,
    7) gauges (vacuum/amps/oil/temp) installed in the dash (similar to the 1970 Cyclones without the tilting towards the driver),
    8) 1969 side view mirrors (teardrop) in place of chrome, cheap originals
    9) factory tach and stereo radio
    10) 4sp, and
    11) (the bad news) 302/4v Holley Carb (230HP).

Using a heat lamp, I removed the lower racing stripe between the front/rear wheels. (68's had too much striping, which was corrected in 1969.)

Best time, 15.6; everything else stock.

Kicked myself in the *** for not waiting and getting the 428 CJ.

Why a 302? 351 wasn't announced until 1969 and the 390 had a nasty reputation of being a solid motor but slow compared to the 327/300. By getting the 302. I turned down many races that I probably would have lost. (I raced my buddy's 1965 Ford Galaxie 390/300 convt with my cousin's 1965 Chev Impala SS 327/250 and beat him everytime. Both 4 speeds.)

Worst defeat: lost the trophy run at Englishtown (NJ) to a full size Impala with a 327/???.

Beautuful cars, especially when compared to the "new" 1968 General Motors styling on the 442/GTO/Chevelles. 1967 GM intermediates were much better looking.

Thanks for the tips, folks! I appreciate the warm welcome. I'm pretty new to "fun" cars, since I had my late, lamented Nissan Pathfinder since 1989; it was the first car I bought, and it served me well until this year.

If anyone has any tips regarding finding a project Cyclone, preferably something in halfway decent shape, or any advice generally on restoration projects, feel free to send me a personal message.

Thanks!

Cale & Dan

I had a couple of very rare Cyclones.

1969 Cyclone Spoiler II - one red/white (Cale Yarbrough Special) and one blue/white (Dan Gurney Special). They were nice cars but only 351W 4-barrel with FMX. Sold the Spoiler II's and went with Talladega 428CJ C6-XPL. Nothing like a big block to kick you in the seat of the pants...cubes and torque!

You'll find some Cyclones amd Montegos hanging out at the Fairlane Club of America.
    http://www.fairlaneclubofamerica.com

-Dan
    Last edited by nhinterceptor; 09-23-2003 at 04:32 PM.

Stock - 300A - Ordered April 6, 02 Prod. Date: May 28, 02
    Past Favorites:
    69 Ford Fairlane Fastback 390, white
    69 Ford Talladega 428CJ, white
    69 Ford Talladega 428CJ, blue
    69 Mercury Cyclone Spolier II 351W, Cale Yarbrough Spec red/wht
    69 Mercury Cyclone Spolier II 351W, Dan Gurney Spec. blue/wht
    76 Mercury Grand Marquis 460, brn/gold 2dr
    83 Mercury Capri 5.0HO, red Crimson Cat
    84 Ford LTD LX 5.0HO, brown, little fox police package

Brother just traded his 64 Cyclone, it was very rough and needed a small fortune. It is an awsome piece of american muscle which needed to be restored. Keep looking and you will find what you want and welcome.
    Marcus Hyde
    Living the dream in my MM.

Thread Information