Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help with purchase

help with purchase

I have been driving a CVPI in the winter and it sucks. So, for next winter I will have something with AWD. It will be something American.

I have gone back and forth on this 10 different ways and I'm looking for some opinions from truck/crossover owners.

I have been on the Big 3 websites to browse around. Right now I am thinking small pickup, but I have also looked at crossovers like the Edge or even the Taurus X.

My family numbers three, so our requirements are as follows:

1. Enough seating for the three of us (our daughter is only 4 so she is fine in a smaller rear seat for the next few years) - which kinda eliminates the Ford Ranger since the rear seats are pretty nonexistent. The Chevy Colorado, on the other hand, has nice rear seats. The Dodge Dakota is between the two.

2. Enough room that it can haul a bunch of stuff - either a removable seat cargo area or pickup bed

3. Aforementioned AWD. I want a winter beast that laughs at snow. I like snow and won't be living in Florida anytime soon - but I want to be able to drive on snow better. I like the clearance height of trucks but I'm assuming the handling of the crossovers is better, so help is needed here.

4. Mileage must be at least 20+ highway. Gas *will* go up again - it's only a matter of when.

"Used F 150" would be perfect, except I don't need a full size truck for towing and mileage is too low. I don't think I will be towing a Marauder, but some of the light duty trucks could do it in a pinch for short trips. The 09 F150 is really nice but I don't want to be spending ~40K. (list)

Handling in the snow -- the last time I drove a pickup with any regularity was in high school and the smaller trucks were terrible on snow due to no weight in the back. Have truck makers been able to compensate for this, or should I be looking at crossovers?

Any insight here would be appreciated.
    Self-importance is our greatest enemy. Think about it - what weakens us is feeling offended by the deeds and misdeeds of our fellowmen. Our self-importance requires that we spend most of our lives offended by someone. -- Carlos Castaneda

You might be able to get a good deal on a Taurus X because 2009 is the last year for it. Some dealers may also be clearancing out the 2008 F150s.
    (#6178 in black per FPIC)
    Call 1-800-FORD-788 and press "1". Have the last 6 of your VIN handy. You will get the numbers for FREE. You'll pay $$$ for the certificate.

MM traded in 8/9/13 @ 128909 miles. It was fun for almost 8 years. I met airmercpun on 1/17/14. He was the new owner of my former ride. -Now gone.

Update: back in the game with a late build 03 GMGS with some MM add ons like Escape audiophile radio w/Sirius sat radio, rear sway bar, catback exhaust, and header panel.

Rest In Peace:
    Alex "Marauderboi" Vachon 3/2/92-8/13/10
    Paula Babineau 1/9/67-8/2/11
    Rex Weinbender
    Peter

See my garage file for part numbers and whatnot.

IMHO, this site- the members that I chat with- and the ones that I now Hang with- are like my 2nd family. There is such an ongoing welcome feeling here that even members who don't or no longer own the MM can feel.

Get an Explorer, Chris's '95, the one I drive is a workhorse and has 250,000mi on it and gets about 20mph on regular.
    Saorsa gu Brath
    (Freedon Forever)

Si vis pacem para bellum
    (If you want peace, prepare for war)

Μολὼν λαβέ
    (Come and take them)

Stann saam of sterf allen
    (Stand together or die alone)

Audentis Fortuna Iuvat
    (Fortune Favors the Brave)

Antes morrer livres que em paz sujeitos
    (Rather die as free men than be enslaved in peace)

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants alike. It is the tree's natural manure." -Thomas Jefferson

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

The Constitution guarantees our rights as American citizens, the 2nd Amendment protects those rights

"THE BLACK BOMBER"

My AWD Chrysler Pacifica fits all your specs and gets good mileage too. You can get them pretty cheap because Chrysler decided in their infinite wisdom to purge all the Daimler influenced vehicles except the 300, so 2008 was the last year for production. We have had a lot of snow the last 2 years and it is fantastic, will go through 8-12 inches and not spin a wheel.
    06 300C SRT8
    03 MM Gone

Lightbulb Explorer Sport Trac

If you like the idea of a small p/u , the Explorer Sport trac offers excellent comfort for driver and passenger(s), excellent winter manners with a four wheel drive .
    If you get the 4.0L W/3:55 gears you could easily get your twenty MPG highway.
    Buy Ford! LOL
    2004 Trilogy #93P 12.2@113 Built and stalled

Quote Originally Posted by duhtroll View Post
    I Any insight here would be appreciated.
    My wife has been driving her '06 Ford Freestyle Limited (now Taurus X) for 3 years. Both of us love the car. It is roomy, comfortable, and can be configured for hauling lots of stuff very quickly. We get 26.2 MPG consistently on the highway even running at 70-75 MPH. Only about 16-17 MPG around town with lots of short trips and stop-and-go. Our Freestyle has the 3.0 Duratek with CVT. New Taurus X has the 3.5L with 6 Speed automatic (mileage might be a tad less with the Taurus X). Very comfortable on long trips. Lots of nice features. Limited towing ability (rated as Class I) 200 pounds tongue and 2,000 pound trailer.

Three rows of seats for up to 7 people. Enough room behind the third row for a good trip to the grocery store. Drop the 3rd row in under 30 seconds. Drop the 2nd row in another 30 seconds. You can even fold down the front passenger seatback if you have a long item like a surfboard (everyone needs those in Iowa).

In my opinion, the Freestyle is a perfect family vehicle. Wish I would have had the option when my family was growing. Both the wife and I are happy with the Freestyle (Taurus X).

PM me if you have any more questions related to the Freestyle/Taurus X. Pic below.

Last edited by Bluerauder; 01-23-2009 at 03:29 PM.
    Bluerauder
    '03 MM 300B
    #67 of 328
    Dark Blue Pearl with Light Flint interior(1 of 215)

Black Pearl "Aarrrrr Type"
    '12 Taurus SHO 3.5 L Ecoboost V6 24V DOHC DI Twin Turbo
    (365 HP, 350 TQ)
    #318 of 478
    Tuxedo Black Metallic with Charcoal Black Leather interior (1 of 415)

Member Capital Area Marauders (CAM)
    since April '04

Bluerauder's Garage -- Pics and Other Info

Sixteen (16) years of CAM Meets, Regional, and Marauderville MM Event History & Upcoming (in RED) Events is Here

We have a few of the ford Escape's at work , some with pretty good milage on them and they have been really good , not one mechanical problem that i can think of

i would say ford escape is your best bet. i work at a ford dealer and we only see those vehicles in for scheduled maintenance. barely a problem at all with them. the explorer would be a great choice if towing is a concern but i would get one with the 4.6l V8. it is a much more reliable engine that gets decent gas mileage and has the extra power if needed

Good replies. Another friend of mine (who is rather large of build) raved about the Pacifica also - she said they got 7 inside with no troubles very comfortably.

Is the Taurus X the same as the Freestyle? They look a bit different. We had considered an Escape, but I think my wife might be getting one of those soon, or an AWD Fusion.

In the small pickup department Ford just gets owned in the seating department. It's a shame that if I want a small pickup I have to go Mopar or Chevy.
    Self-importance is our greatest enemy. Think about it - what weakens us is feeling offended by the deeds and misdeeds of our fellowmen. Our self-importance requires that we spend most of our lives offended by someone. -- Carlos Castaneda

Having owned 4WD SUV's since 1992, and now an AWD...I would definitely suggest you "dont" get a pick up for the winter. I have enjoyed hauling all my crap around for years, in a warm, dry, SUV.

I had a 1992 Jeep Cherokee, a 1995 Yukon GT, and now a 2006 AWD SS Trailblazer.

I can't even begin to tell you how much I love the SS Trailblazer. You can get them used now for awesome prices. The only thing though is that LS2 V8 nails you on the gas @ 15mpg...but seriously...it's not that big of a deal...unless you make 30K a year and drive 60 miles a day for work.

With a set of 17" black steelies, and fresh Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow's, I've had absolutely no issues whatsoever...and the winter in Cleveland is rough this year.

Love the SS Trailblazer.

-Mat
    2004 Black Mercury Marauder
    Trilogy Eaton Intercooled Supercharger #200
    483 RWHP 471 RWTQ @ 13.5 lbs of Boost 2.8" Pulley
    11.76 @ 116.25 1.65 60ft
    17,500 Miles

Is the Taurus X the same as the Freestyle? They look a bit different. We had considered an Escape, but I think my wife might be getting one of those soon, or an AWD Fusion.
    The Freestyle was rebadged as the Taurus X beginning in 2008. Comes in FWD and AWD versions. The vehicle is basically the same. However, as I mentioned above, the Freestyle had the 3.0 liter Duratek coupled to the Continuous Variable Transmission (CVT). The Taurus X was "upgraded" to a 3.5 Liter with a 6-speed automatic transmission. There were early reports that the Freestyle was underpowered. Personally, I never noticed that as a problem. I think the grill was changed on the Taurus X and the taillights were redesigned with the clearlook lights. The Taurus X offers a power liftgate option. Those are the basic differences that I can remember. Visually, they are pretty much identical IMHO.

I am a member on the Freestyle/Taurus X board. Many of the folks that end up buying the Freestyle/Taurus X had also looked at the Pacifica and others; but decided on the Freestyle/Taurus X. I think the net cargo room in the Freestyle/Taurus X is more than most others in it's class. Guess you will have to compare both and make your own choice. As I mentioned, we have had the '06 Freestyle for 3 years and haven't had a problem. Did I mention the 5-star safety rating? It is based on the Volvo XC90 chassis if I remember correctly. Our Freestyle has front, side, side curtain (back to the 3rd row) airbags and full safety package. Folks in the snowbelt and up in Canada say the AWD is among the best in bad conditions.

Just bought an '09 Ford Escape for my daughter. Much smaller and shorter. 4-5 seater with smaller cargo capacity. It is also a great vehicle. She just wanted something smaller and more SUVish than CUV/stationwagonish.
    Last edited by Bluerauder; 01-23-2009 at 06:35 PM.
    Bluerauder
    '03 MM 300B
    #67 of 328
    Dark Blue Pearl with Light Flint interior(1 of 215)

Black Pearl "Aarrrrr Type"
    '12 Taurus SHO 3.5 L Ecoboost V6 24V DOHC DI Twin Turbo
    (365 HP, 350 TQ)
    #318 of 478
    Tuxedo Black Metallic with Charcoal Black Leather interior (1 of 415)

Member Capital Area Marauders (CAM)
    since April '04

Bluerauder's Garage -- Pics and Other Info

Sixteen (16) years of CAM Meets, Regional, and Marauderville MM Event History & Upcoming (in RED) Events is Here

if you want a small pickup get a explorer sport trac. seats 4 comfortably, has a bed and the back window rolls down. i had a ranger and i love the hell out of it. it had the 4.0 v6 plenty of power and more with my superchips programmer. and i beat 2 dakota r/ts with and boy they were mad. if you like the rangers but need a 4door one thats baseicly a explorer sport trac. or even a explorer would be great they are great in the snow drive both of them and i think you would like one of them.

.............................. .....
    Last edited by Aren Jay; 01-27-2009 at 01:23 PM.

Good replies. Another friend of mine (who is rather large of build) raved about the Pacifica also - she said they got 7 inside with no troubles very comfortably.

In the small pickup department Ford just gets owned in the seating department. It's a shame that if I want a small pickup I have to go Mopar or Chevy.

My FWSD Fusion laughs at snow. I have gone through lots of it this year in New England and it is solid. The AWD, which my GFs uncles has, is super sticky. Highly recomended.

The interior has lots of room and can seat 6ft+ adults in the rear seats comfortably. The trunk amazed me and with fold down rear seats there is a lot of space.

I average 35mpg with mine.
    4257 of 7839 03 300A- SOLD
    2006 Ford Fusion I4 5 Speed
    2004 Mach 1

also the new Jeeps are nice, Grand Cherokee has lots of room and is solid.

Or my new favorite the Ford Flex lol
    4257 of 7839 03 300A- SOLD
    2006 Ford Fusion I4 5 Speed
    2004 Mach 1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information