Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CV motor question

CV motor question

OK all you CV guys --

I have a 2000 CVPI whose motor just took a major dump and most likely needs replacing. I am looking around at used motors and the CVPI package motors are more $.

Why is this and what is the difference? Since this is a work beater, can I just drop a regular CV motor in it?

Thanks!
    Self-importance is our greatest enemy. Think about it - what weakens us is feeling offended by the deeds and misdeeds of our fellowmen. Our self-importance requires that we spend most of our lives offended by someone. -- Carlos Castaneda

All the CV's got the better 'PI' heads in 2001.
    I don't think that there are any internal engine differences between a CV and a CVPI.
    The CVPI's also have a nice oil cooler set-up.
    Look for a 2001+ engine and you will get the better heads.
    2020 Ford Ranger STX DFI Turbo 2.3L 10 speed Auto
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)
    1984 Mustang GT 2.3 Turbo Convertible FI. 5 speed manual
    1966 427 Cobra (ERA) 468 all Aluminum FE 2x4bbl 5 speed manual

SOLD : 2003 Mercury Marauder FI. 4 speed Auto
    w/Crower Cams & Springs, +1mm SS valves, mild port job on the cylinder heads.
    Extrude honed intake w/PHP spacer.
    Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    SVO Rearend Girdle, Redline Gear lube; OEM 3.55s
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge
    Built: 10/15/02 Bought: 12/16/02 Sold: 10/15/18

According to some on CVN the 04's CVPIs are the best on horsepower. Whenever the CVN forums decide to come back online you might want to check, there was a post about this subject a couple of days ago IIRC.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Walsh View Post
    All the CV's got the better 'PI' heads in 2001.
    I don't think that there are any internal engine differences between a CV and a CVPI.
    The CVPI's also have a nice oil cooler set-up.
    Look for a 2001+ engine and you will get the better heads.

What he said.

I'll add that in 2001, Panthers started getting the "revised" intakes with the aluminum coolant crossover tube. This intake also has deeper runners, netting more HP. That's why many NPI Panthers swap PI cams and PI intakes. I did this on my '98.

1. Black Sunshine (2003A F.I.T #3) (SOLD!)
    2. 2004 SAP P71 (Gone)
    3. The 2001 P71 (Flying Snow). (Sold)
    4. The 1998 P71 Jinbei. (Sold)
    5. 1990 5.7L IROC-Z (Sold)

Keeping a black car clean is not a hobby. It's a part-time job.

Support the troops.

I think the 01's had a different knock sensor set up so you may need a 01 EEC too. Look for a web site p71 interceptor. I think he covered what's involved in different motor swaps. The oil cooler is just a different casting on the oil filter mount. Save it from your old block to put on the new block. There's a torque sequence for the bolts that the dealer can look up.
    If you’re in control, you’re not going fast enough. – Parnelli Jones

If your wife's having a good time and you're not, you're still having a better time than if you're having a good time and she's not. - Red Green

2004 Marauder 300A - Garage Queen

1025 of 3213. It is one of 1237 in black and one of 2000 w/o the moonroof option.

Performance
    4:10's, rear Adco, front Eibachs w/ KYB shocks, Working oil pressure gauge, JLT CA Kit, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve, TCE SS Brake Lines, Zack big brake kit.
    Dress
    Power by Ford coil covers, Maruder sill plates, God's head steering wheel emblem, spoiler, front and rear splash gaurds, Custom dead pedal, LED lights for engine bay, interior and gauges. 64' Marauder Sail Panel for rear badge, custom God's head badge in grill.

LOC: Clermont Florida

+2 on what Joe Walsh and Embassy said. Of course, you could buy Zack's V10 and have a field day with it.
    (#6178 in black per FPIC)
    Call 1-800-FORD-788 and press "1". Have the last 6 of your VIN handy. You will get the numbers for FREE. You'll pay $$$ for the certificate.

MM traded in 8/9/13 @ 128909 miles. It was fun for almost 8 years. I met airmercpun on 1/17/14. He was the new owner of my former ride. -Now gone.

Update: back in the game with a late build 03 GMGS with some MM add ons like Escape audiophile radio w/Sirius sat radio, rear sway bar, catback exhaust, and header panel.

Rest In Peace:
    Alex "Marauderboi" Vachon 3/2/92-8/13/10
    Paula Babineau 1/9/67-8/2/11
    Rex Weinbender
    Peter

See my garage file for part numbers and whatnot.

IMHO, this site- the members that I chat with- and the ones that I now Hang with- are like my 2nd family. There is such an ongoing welcome feeling here that even members who don't or no longer own the MM can feel.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankJAG View Post
    According to some on CVN the 04's CVPIs are the best on horsepower. Whenever the CVN forums decide to come back online you might want to check, there was a post about this subject a couple of days ago IIRC.
    the 04's actually have the same horsepower as the 04,05,06, etc etc, it just had a more aggressive tune, and from what i've heard, the 01-02 Vic's did have PI heads, but a different transmission setup, so unless you want to do a tranny swap too, i think your best bet would be to find a junkyard 98-00 and use that. Then swap the computer from a 99 CVPI into it because it had the best tune out of the 98-00. The difference will be night and day. good luck

2004 Jaguar S-Type R
    Retired: 2003 CVPI
    Retired: 2000 CVPI

FrankJAG - According to some on CVN the 04's CVPIs are the best on horsepower.
    That's only because the 2004 P71 got the Marauder-like air-box and 80mm MAF; it's like because ...
    • the MAF is integrated with/to the air-box and cannot be detached.
    • the PCM transfer table values are different.
    • the Marauder combo' has more potential.

*Courtesy Liquid

Other modern-day variances ...
    • 2003+ - knock sensor.
    • 2005 - drive-by-wire a.k.a. ETC ( Electronic Throttle Control ).
    Year-to-Year Changes <<<<< -click-
    *Courtesy Liquid

That's it! Good stuff, thanks guys.
    I am sure the OP will like y'alls info as well.

Thanks for the info. It's not important what performance it has right now - I have a Marauder for that. It's probably going to get the motor I find the best deal on right now. It's just a work car and I'm not keeping it very long, but it is in too good a shape to junk it.
    Self-importance is our greatest enemy. Think about it - what weakens us is feeling offended by the deeds and misdeeds of our fellowmen. Our self-importance requires that we spend most of our lives offended by someone. -- Carlos Castaneda

Quote Originally Posted by duhtroll View Post
    Thanks for the info. It's not important what performance it has right now - I have a Marauder for that. It's probably going to get the motor I find the best deal on right now. It's just a work car and I'm not keeping it very long, but it is in too good a shape to junk it.
    If that the case then find the cheapest running motor you can find.
    If I gave a crap about gas mileage I would own a bicycle. With my luck I may have to go bike shopping tomorrow.
    Black '03 300a SOLD. 1993 Crown Victoria LX. 5.4L Supercharged/6speed. SOLD. New ride:

Yep - those were my instructions to the mechanic doing the swap. I think he'll get a better deal from what I have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Georges93LX View Post
    If that the case then find the cheapest running motor you can find.

Quote Originally Posted by offroadking208 View Post
    the 04's actually have the same horsepower as the 04,05,06, etc etc, it just had a more aggressive tune, and from what i've heard, the 01-02 Vic's did have PI heads, but a different transmission setup, so unless you want to do a tranny swap too, i think your best bet would be to find a junkyard 98-00 and use that. Then swap the computer from a 99 CVPI into it because it had the best tune out of the 98-00. The difference will be night and day. good luck

you can use the stock trans fine with an 01 motor and EEC.

2004 PI's/05 CIVI and up got a different MAF, i dont think that the old plug will fit the new maf at all.

2016 Ford Mustang GT PP - Lund nGauge, BMR vertical links, MGW Shifter, BMR CB005

2004 Mercury Marauder - Eaton M112, Billetflow 3.4, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, T-56 Magnum, 4.10s, Stainless Works LTs, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, Ridetech Coilovers + Adj rear shocks, FX-R projectors, Wilwood 13" BNSL6 + FNSL4 BBKs, S55 Gauge Cluster
    440rwhp & 406rwtq Tuned by Adam @ Revolution Automotive
    2063/3214

(Sold) 2003 Mercury Marauder - Stainless Works LT's, Stainless Works 2.5" Catback, JLT Intake, Mo's Xcal4 Tune
    5377/7838

2000 BMW M5 - Evolve Intake, Evolve Alpha-N tune, Stoptech ST-40 BBK, UUC SSK, Dinan front STB, Dinan RSB

1996 Ford Bronco - 4" lift, 35" BFG A/T's, Punisher Valve Body, MH1 Projectors

Quote Originally Posted by duhtroll View Post
    HUH?

You...you...you...mean that you are going to keep it stock!?...

Good luck with the install and returning your CV to road-worthy status!
    2020 Ford Ranger STX DFI Turbo 2.3L 10 speed Auto
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)
    1984 Mustang GT 2.3 Turbo Convertible FI. 5 speed manual
    1966 427 Cobra (ERA) 468 all Aluminum FE 2x4bbl 5 speed manual

SOLD : 2003 Mercury Marauder FI. 4 speed Auto
    w/Crower Cams & Springs, +1mm SS valves, mild port job on the cylinder heads.
    Extrude honed intake w/PHP spacer.
    Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    SVO Rearend Girdle, Redline Gear lube; OEM 3.55s
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge
    Built: 10/15/02 Bought: 12/16/02 Sold: 10/15/18

Noooooo... definitely not stock.

It got a new stereo head unit, new center console, new cb, new radar detector and laser jammer, new headlights, new tires, new air filter, and new oil every 3-4K miles. Now it's getting a "new" motor.

It also got a MM catalytic converter last fall. Now that's EXTREME CV action!

I need some decals for more HP.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Walsh View Post
    HUH?

You...you...you...mean that you are going to keep it stock!?...

Good luck with the install and returning your CV to road-worthy status!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information