Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Missing and rough idle

Question Missing and rough idle

This week I noticed that my car is "missing" and the idle is rough. It's idling between 400 and 500 RPMs and periodically the idle will just drop almost to a stall. On the road it is noticably "missing". As I said it just started this week and I haven't done anything to it. I'm running 93 octane gas in it. It's almost as if I were running 83 octane gas instead.

Anybody have any ideas?

Eric

MMdriver03 Guest
    The same here @22,000 miles

How about bad gas! Could have picked up water from your fill up just before the problem started. Could also be a bad plug, coil pack, etc. Any light indications on the dash? Could be numerous things. Might be time for a service appointment!

Bob, USNavy Retired
    2010 Taurus SHO Red Candy Metallic
    402A, 5% tint, Valentine 1, Laser Blaster,
    Livernois Stage 2tune, Airaid CAI
    Corsa cat-back, Lower molding stripe
    Born 10/27/09, came home 2/20/10

'03 MM 300A Gone, but not forgotten!
    Born 9/25/02, went home 11/04/02, passed on 3/21/06, Mileage: 100K

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...'Wow! What a ride!" (Unknown source)

MMdriver03 Guest
    I have only been using Mobile 93 octane.I spoke to dealership and was told others have also commented on this problem.

You can have the dealer reflash the ECM with the latest cal.codes.(search the forums here,there is a TSB on the problem)That will "help" the problem some.
    I had it done to mine but for some reason I felt the "fix"degraded over time.
    At long last I'm going to be a band wagon jumper and say have Dennis reflash your computer,I had mine done in Ennis,huge difference in drive ability.

Mine had the cold stumble/rough idle.

SSM 16428 fixed it, do a search of 16428 and you will find a bunch of threads.

- Dan

Stock - 300A - Ordered April 6, 02 Prod. Date: May 28, 02
    Past Favorites:
    69 Ford Fairlane Fastback 390, white
    69 Ford Talladega 428CJ, white
    69 Ford Talladega 428CJ, blue
    69 Mercury Cyclone Spolier II 351W, Cale Yarbrough Spec red/wht
    69 Mercury Cyclone Spolier II 351W, Dan Gurney Spec. blue/wht
    76 Mercury Grand Marquis 460, brn/gold 2dr
    83 Mercury Capri 5.0HO, red Crimson Cat
    84 Ford LTD LX 5.0HO, brown, little fox police package

MMdriver03 Guest
    Thanks Dan , I will do a search and bring that info to dealership.

Well, for whats it worth-

If I start mine--let her warm up where she is above the cold mark then I know all of her oils are up in the engine and warm--I do not have a problem--

BUt if I don't--I get your problem --until she decides she is thourougly oiled and warm and then it's a bit like a cough --or clearning the throat--

So I always let her warm up --no problems now--after all- she is a high performance engine--so why no let her get a chance to get herself ready before asking her to perform.. it works without problems that way for me......like I said--my .02 cents worth---..Tom
    03' MM Black 300 A - (FOR SALE--)
    Build Date 6/25/02 - #1,987 of 7,839 for '03
    Vortech T- TRIM -Water to Air -
    12.45 at 109.6 MPH
    1.92 Sec .- 60 '
    Alt .SSHS 9 --11/7/09

'06 CV P71 Street Pkg
    Interior Marauder Floor Shift
    All New Parts

'12 F-150 KingRanch Off Rd Pkg.
    373 Gear EcoBoost- Does What's Asked

In Memoriam....11-14-13
    He loved this site so MUCH! and the Members More!!

Rex Weinbender (SC Cheesehead)

One of the best friend a person could have

It's missing even on a nice hot engine. I just filled up the tank today from a different gas station just in case I got a bad batch from the one I normally go to.

Eric

2003 Mercury Marauder 300B - Dark Blue Pearl
    Built: 12/10/2002
    Purchased: 7/23/2003
    Number: 6,238 of 7,838 - 11 of 328

Originally posted by marauderman
    Well, for whats it worth-

If I start mine--let her warm up where she is above the cold mark then I know all of her oils are up in the engine and warm--I do not have a problem--

BUt if I don't--I get your problem --until she decides she is thourougly oiled and warm and then it's a bit like a cough --or clearning the throat--

So I always let her warm up --no problems now--after all- she is a high performance engine--so why no let her get a chance to get herself ready before asking her to perform.. it works without problems that way for me......like I said--my .02 cents worth---..Tom
    Tom, mine will stumble only is I start it cold in the morning and run it immmediately. It smooths in about 1/2 mile. If I warm it up, no problems. I have had cars with chokes that behaved much worse than this 'cold stumble'. No big deal in my opinion.

Bob

383 4-speed w air grabber

Mark McQuaide Guest
    No stumble here but a bit of a lumpy idle. Had the dealer put the latest PCM program in, no difference in the idle. No other problems, though, so I guess the idle is normal.

MMdriver03 Guest
    My rough idle and stumble became a check engine light.(22,000miles) Took it to my favorite merc dealer. Got the call this afternoon! I was told that #8 cylinder is not getting enough comppression!

you must follow up on them. because they will stiff you. get all the info as to why and post it . i have the same problem and so do alot of others.
    2006 GTO. Lingenfelter CAI, V-Max Polished Throttlebody, Vararam TB Spacer, SLP Ceramic LT Headers, SLP High Flow Cats, Custom X Pipe, QTP electric Cutouts, Flowmaster 40 Mufflers, Livernoise Stage 2 Heads and Comp Cam Stage 2 Cam 232/232 .050 @ 114 lsa, custom built transmission with a pro torque 2800 stall. HOPE I HIT LOW 12'S OR HIGH 11'S , CAUSE IM A BROKE MO FO! SOLD

Re:MMdriver03

Low compression on #8 - Didn't want to hear that!

I am loosing intrest in this car really fast, starting to regret getting rid of the old cars.

Ford had a problem with the early 5.4 in F-150's and they denied it and kept wearing customers down with BS. There was a long discussion in the F150 Online forum, it was a piston slap problem.

My MM has under 7,000 miles not looking forward to more issues.

-Dan

Stock - 300A - Ordered April 6, 02 Prod. Date: May 28, 02
    Past Favorites:
    69 Ford Fairlane Fastback 390, white
    69 Ford Talladega 428CJ, white
    69 Ford Talladega 428CJ, blue
    69 Mercury Cyclone Spolier II 351W, Cale Yarbrough Spec red/wht
    69 Mercury Cyclone Spolier II 351W, Dan Gurney Spec. blue/wht
    76 Mercury Grand Marquis 460, brn/gold 2dr
    83 Mercury Capri 5.0HO, red Crimson Cat
    84 Ford LTD LX 5.0HO, brown, little fox police package

goodluck for you brother. i have 5000 on mine. it will be 1yr old. god help us all if this turns out to be a f--k by ford
    2006 GTO. Lingenfelter CAI, V-Max Polished Throttlebody, Vararam TB Spacer, SLP Ceramic LT Headers, SLP High Flow Cats, Custom X Pipe, QTP electric Cutouts, Flowmaster 40 Mufflers, Livernoise Stage 2 Heads and Comp Cam Stage 2 Cam 232/232 .050 @ 114 lsa, custom built transmission with a pro torque 2800 stall. HOPE I HIT LOW 12'S OR HIGH 11'S , CAUSE IM A BROKE MO FO! SOLD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information