Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New year same situation!

Quote Originally Posted by merc View Post
    Here is the response from Eaton:

We recommend that you use any good mineral based multi-weight gear oil. Synthetics are not recommended. While many people have used synthetics in Truetracs without issue, there have been times that synthetics have caused the unit to be very noisy. Additionally, many of our resellers do not recommend synthetics for high performance applications. In fact, most will void their warranty if synthetics are used.

Friction modifier should not be used in a Truetrac as it has no benefit. As for Moly additives, these products are similar to synthetic gear oils and should be avoided with the Truetrac."
    Thanks for the info I will take the royal purple back cause it comes with the friction modifier already in the gear oil. So what weight do you recommend? or eaton recommends?

2003 300A Black MM
    Quote Originally Posted by magindat View Post
    Modding a Marauder is a classy, time taking experience - like sipping fine aged spirits. It's meant to take your time, savor, and enjoy!!!!
    FRPP ALUMINATOR MOTOR 10:1
    BC AUTOMOTIVE TRANNY 2800 STALL
    TRILOGY S/C WITH POSI PERFORMANCE PORT
    STAINLESS WORKS LT HEADERS
    METCO REAR CONTROL ARMS AND WATTS LINK
    ADDCO FRONT & REAR SWAY BAR
    MONROE HD QUICK STRUTS FRONT
    QA1 ADJUSTABLE REAR SHOCKS
    EATON LIMTED SLIP DIFF:FORD RACING 4.10'S
    DUAL AEROMOTIVE 340LPH PUMPS, 40AMP BAP, WITH DUAL FPDM'S
    ZACKS BIG BRAKE SWAP w/ TCE SS LINES
    SCANGAUGE MONITORING....^....^....^
    ALL SECURIED WITH A VIPER SECURITY SYSTEM REMOTELY STARTED BY MY VIPER IPHONE APP

Please educate ME. I am considering a complete gutting and rebuild of my 300A's rear end. I am planning on Motorcraft 4.10 gears but don't know the ins and out of what is good, bad, ugly or recommended. Should I go Ford 31 spline axles and a 31 spline trutrac. What are the advantages/disadvantages of the different tyoe of limited slip rears. I had a 390 Cougar in 1968 that had a Detroit Locker with 3:25 gears. It would leave some nice and long dual black stripes. As I recall it was a little noisy in tight turns. Any adivce is appreciated. Sorry for the Hijack. Rick
    Last edited by Iowa Rick; 02-25-2009 at 07:10 PM.
    2003 300A 1062 of 7839
    03 300A Black/Black gone 6/17/09
    08 GMC Sierra 4x4 extended cab

Quote Originally Posted by NATEHAWK View Post
    How did you get a pic of her lol......
    All you have to do is ask

'98 MGM LS...sold..................... .............................. ..'03 300A...sold 6/17

Mark,
    I understand why no friction modifier is needed for a TrueTrac differential, as it has no clutches...
    and I know that Eaton does not recommend synthetic lubes for the Eaton differential (HD clutch style differential)...
    but did they say why you should NOT use a synthetic lube in a TrueTrac differential (torque sensing-worm gear style differential)???
    I'm missing something here...I don't see how a worm gear style differential can be 'noisy'
    I thought that 'noisy' differentials related to chattering clutch packs...
    Last edited by Joe Walsh; 02-25-2009 at 07:21 PM. Reason: additional comments added
    2020 Ford Ranger STX DFI Turbo 2.3L 10 speed Auto
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)
    1984 Mustang GT 2.3 Turbo Convertible FI. 5 speed manual
    1966 427 Cobra (ERA) 468 all Aluminum FE 2x4bbl 5 speed manual

SOLD : 2003 Mercury Marauder FI. 4 speed Auto
    w/Crower Cams & Springs, +1mm SS valves, mild port job on the cylinder heads.
    Extrude honed intake w/PHP spacer.
    Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    SVO Rearend Girdle, Redline Gear lube; OEM 3.55s
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge
    Built: 10/15/02 Bought: 12/16/02 Sold: 10/15/18

Thanks for the info I will take the royal purple back cause it comes with the friction modifier already in the gear oil. So what weight do you recommend? or eaton recommends?
    AMS Oil 75/90
    Mobil 1 75w90

James Brown #140 "Say It Loud" Except in Bristol
    Merc's Garage
    MagnaFuel ProTuner Series 750 MP-1403
    Stainless Steel Works full exhaust
    SCT Advantage III Ford Pro Racer Software
    600.59 rwhp 559.91 Torque @ 20 lbs Boost
    2.3 Whipple Intercooled Supercharger
    BC Automotive Stage4 transmission
    03 Terminator built by Chris Vining

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Walsh View Post
    Mark,
    I understand why no friction modifier is needed for a TrueTrac differential, as it has no clutches...
    and I know that Eaton does not recommend synthetic lubes for the Eaton differential (HD clutch style differential)...
    but did they say why you should NOT use a synthetic lube in a TrueTrac differential (torque sensing-worm gear style differential)???
    I'm missing something here...
    Yeah what he said?

2003 300A Black MM
    Modding a Marauder is a classy, time taking experience - like sipping fine aged spirits. It's meant to take your time, savor, and enjoy!!!!
    ALL SECURIED WITH A VIPER SECURITY SYSTEM REMOTELY STARTED BY MY VIPER IPHONE APP

Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Rick View Post
    Please educate ME. I am considering a complete gutting and rebuild of my 300A's rear end. I am planning on Motorcraft 4.10 gears but don't know the ins and out of what is good, bad, ugly or recommended. Should I go Ford 31 spline axles and a 31 spline trutrac. What are the advantages/disadvantages of the different tyoe of limited slip rears. I had a 390 Cougar in 1968 that had a Detroit Locker with 3:25 gears. It would leave some nice and long dual black stripes. As I recall it was a little noisy in tight turns. Any adivce is appreciated. Sorry for the Hijack. Rick
    Hi Rick,
    There are multiple threads on this very subject...I would use the 'SEARCH' function and review them.
    I started a similar thread to discuss my differential options last fall, and I ended up buying a Detroit TrueTrac.
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)

Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge

Did you use the Ford axles? How do you like the Detroit TrueTrac? I've done the search function. I'm looking for feedback from people who did the mod and was trying to get the "latest" feedback. Thanks Rick
    2003 300A 1062 of 7839
    03 300A Black/Black gone 6/17/09
    08 GMC Sierra 4x4 extended cab

Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Rick View Post
    Did you use the Ford axles? How do you like the Detroit TrueTrac? I've done the search function. I'm looking for feedback from people who did the mod and was trying to get the "latest" feedback. Thanks Rick
    I've got the Moser 31 spline axles.

'merc'/'Sherman'/'Blown3.8' can answer much better than I concerning the Ford axles and how well the TrueTracs hold up.
    They have drag raced the heck out of their combos and run VERY stout ETs on this exact hardware!

Well I have the Ford axles and im looking at them now. They are superior to the stockers. Go for it man..Fore what I understand Merc is running the ford ones like i just brought...

2003 300A Black MM

Very Good discussion, guys...

This is interesting...as it is my next move...

ALOHA

'03 A Build Date 8/02
    F.I.T. #6 ***RESURRECTED***
    *444 RWHP / 401 RWTQ
    *10 lbs. Boost
    *P1SC1 ProCharger
    *SCT Tuned *SCT Big Air 2400 MAF *BAP *GT 40 Fuel Pump *Modified FPDM *SSW Headers *MMX Drive Shaft *Metco Drive Shaft Loop *Metco Control Arms *T/A Stud Girdle w/ Diff Cover *Addco Sway Bars 3,500 Stall B/C Auto. Torque Converter *J-Mod *Wilwood 13" Big Brake Kit *Brembo Drilled/Slotted Rotors (Rear) *Widened Rims w/ 295 Nitto 555 *Autometer Wide Band A/F

When I turn on my car...It returns the favor

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Walsh View Post
    Mark,
    I'm missing something here...I don't see how a worm gear style differential can be 'noisy'
    I thought that 'noisy' differentials related to chattering clutch packs...

This thread is from another site but could offer some clues to the arguement between synthetic vs. non synthetic gear oil.

Update: I talked to Brent, a SALES guy from Eaton (Mfg. of TrueTrack). He told me that running synthetic gear oil could cause the binding that I am experiencing. He suggested changing out the oil.

Don't get me wrong, eaton truetrac's are not built proof. Before I got my gears a friend with a 03 cobra destroyed his gears. I was impressed because he replaced the broken eaton with an identical set. I have had 3 differential in my car. I like the truetrac the best. It's a reliable performer at the track. I never worry about the one wheel peal.
    Last edited by merc; 02-25-2009 at 07:56 PM.

James Brown #140 "Say It Loud" Except in Bristol
    Merc's Garage
    MagnaFuel ProTuner Series 750 MP-1403
    Stainless Steel Works full exhaust
    SCT Advantage III Ford Pro Racer Software
    600.59 rwhp 559.91 Torque @ 20 lbs Boost
    2.3 Whipple Intercooled Supercharger
    BC Automotive Stage4 transmission
    03 Terminator built by Chris Vining

Truetrac all the way

2003 300A Black MM

Nate's stocker diff. Ouchy!

Tru trak 31 spline moser's and ford racing 4.10's holding up to...ahh lets say about 700 ft lbs of torque.
    <embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i169.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid169.photobucket.com/albums/u216/blown38/1030.flv">
    ~Chris

Thumbs up

Truetrac all the way
    What he said.

1. Black Sunshine (2003A F.I.T #3) (SOLD!)
    2. 2004 SAP P71 (Gone)
    3. The 2001 P71 (Flying Snow). (Sold)
    4. The 1998 P71 Jinbei. (Sold)
    5. 1990 5.7L IROC-Z (Sold)

Keeping a black car clean is not a hobby. It's a part-time job.

Support the troops.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information