Thread: Transmission inlet flush machine

Transmission inlet flush machine

Time again to have the transmisson fluid & filter changed. The last few times I had this done the dealer wanted to use a trans flush machine.The pan stays up & no new filter used. A transmission shop that I had do the work droped the pan installed a new filter & new fluid. This was my best option. Either way these processes are half ass. I want a complete fluid change & new filter. I have read about a machine that attaches to the pump intake after the pan is droped & the filter is removed & it pumps all the old fluid out. Then a new filter is installed & the pan put on & fluid added. They call this machine a trans pump inlet flush machine. What shops on Cape Cod or close by use this machine ? Is this our only way the job can be done the right ?
    2004 marauder black purchased new. Sold 9/16 at 297,000 miles. Still ran strong didn't burn a drop of oil.
    2003 marauder black 28,000 miles all stock. Garage Queen.
    2004 marauder red daily driver.

Either way is good, but both is better, if you use the flush machine it will swap all 10+ (I dont know the exact amount off my head) in the system with brand spanking new fluid.

If you drop the pan and change the filter also, they you have new filter an ALL NEW FLUID.

If your fluid is dark, do the flush, if your just doing the maint, and fluid looks and smells good, just drop the pan, swap filter and top off system.
    Last edited by Black_Noise; 02-07-2009 at 02:58 PM.

Burt, I've not yet seen a trans pump inlet flush machine such as you describe, but the T-Tech machine is essentially the same thing. Read about it here. They just disco a trans line at the cooler, and hook it to the machine. It uses the transmission's own pump to push the old fluid into a double-ended cylinder which is filled with fresh fluid. As the old fluid goes in one side, the fresh is pushed into the transmission by a piston inside the cylinder.

They have one at the One-Stop quick-lube on 6A on the Orleans/Brewster line. Those guys are NOT like Jiffy Lube; they actually do a GOOD job. Earl Heimerdinger (yes, that's his real name) was the manager there last I knew
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

FWIW

I had my trans flushed when the time came at the dealer where I bought it. They wanted to do the job with the flush machine that allows the transmission to do the work. They also claimed the filter would be cleaned as well. This didn't sound right to me so I searched the web and found an article that gave great insight for the pros and cons of having the pan dropped or using the flush machine as mentioned above.
    After becoming informed, I told the dealer to drop the pan, change the filter and flush the system in the manner this calls for. It costs a good bit more (I think the dealer only wanted around $100 if the pan was not dropped) vs. dropping the pan and I supplied the tranny fluid (Mobil I Mercon V synthetic), costs me around $300. I had the fuel filter changed while they had it, may have contributed a little to higher cost.
    The thing that convinced me to go this route is that if you truly want totally changed fluid, this was the way to go.
    Trying to keep this as informational as possible without it being excessively lengthy, a transmission has internal leakage of fluid while in operation (all hydraulic systems do) and will mix old fluid with new fluid while performing the fluid change if the pan is in place. By dropping the pan and allowing the trans to drip whatever fluid is lost due to internal leakage and allowing only fresh fluid to be introduced to the trans fluid pickup point ensures that all fresh fluid will be in the system with no contamination of old fluid.
    I'm sure this was messy for the mechanic having to do it and I lost 5 quarts of fresh fluid due the internal leakage while it was being done. It took about 20 quarts to do it this way whereas doing it without dropping the pan should have been 15 quarts.
    Also, be certain Mercon V
    is used, Mercon IV is not compatable with Mercon V. The Marauders' use Mercon V and the use of Mercon IV while cause problems.

If you have time to search for this information before you have the trans serviced, you can make a better decision about which method will best suit your preference (and which best suits your wallet).

Good luck with whichever you choose.

PHHHHTT

Quote Originally Posted by PHHHHTT
    Mercon IV is not compatable with Mercon V. The Marauders' use Mercon V and the use of Mercon IV while cause problems
    For the record, there's no such thing as Mercon IV.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    Daily Driver

Bob - The T Tec machine only evacuates the old fluid from the pan not the torque converter allowing a mix of new & old fluid or did I miss something in there demo ? It seems to be a similar type of machine as a cooler flush machine. This is the one I was reffering to see Pump inlet flush.Transmission Flushing
    2004 marauder black purchased new. Sold 9/16 at 297,000 miles. Still ran strong didn't burn a drop of oil.
    2003 marauder black 28,000 miles all stock. Garage Queen.
    2004 marauder red daily driver.

Quote Originally Posted by burt ragio View Post
    Bob - The T Tec machine only evacuates the old fluid from the pan not the torque converter allowing a mix of new & old fluid or did I miss something in there demo ? It seems to be a similar type of machine as a cooler flush machine. This is the one I was reffering to see Pump inlet flush.Transmission Flushing

Does anyone know what places have this type of machine that pumps out all of the old fluid.

we use a wynn's trans flush machine at my work,

Say a car's trans holds 12 qts of fluid, we put 14 in the machine, and it pushes all of the old fluid out of the cooler line, through the cooler and trans and goes out the machine into a holding tank, while at the same time it is pushing in 12 new quarts, plus 2 extra, so its actually flushing out an extra 2 qt fresh quarts on top of the old 12 qts.

It works good.

Quote Originally Posted by burt ragio View Post
    Bob - The T Tec machine only evacuates the old fluid from the pan not the torque converter allowing a mix of new & old fluid or did I miss something in there demo
    I think you missed something. The T-Tech uses the transmission's own pump to push ALL the old fluid out, which also pushes on the piston in the machine's fluid chamber to push the fresh fluid back into the transmission. It replaces all the fluid, including that in the torque converter.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by Marylandrauder View Post
    Does anyone know what places have this type of machine that pumps out all of the old fluid.
    Many places have this machine or similar. You'll need to ask them...

Dealers, many quick lube's, most transmission shops, etc.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    Daily Driver

I didn't read all the posts but which line is return? I am adding a tranny cooler this weekend and knowing which one to cut ahead of time will help me skip a step.
    '04 Silver Marauder w/ sunroof - HID lighting, JL Audio / Eclipse DVD/NAV/iPod/camera, 4.10's, 2" drop, Progard Bumper Baffle, Delete tips, Billet Pedals, BC4E dead pedal, Lidio Tune, Mach1 chin spoiler, K&N CAI, TCE lines, Super40's, tinted tails, SS Inserts, Heinous Control Arms, Real oil gauge, lighted door handles. Currently installing Eaton M112.

2004 Mercury Marauder
    Born March 2004, adopted October 2005. Sold January 2012, adopted AGAIN January 2016
    2,187 of 3,214
    997 in Silver Birch
    448 with light flint interior
    304 with heated seats
    336 with sunroof

Quote Originally Posted by RF Overlord View Post
    Burt, I've not yet seen a trans pump inlet flush machine such as you describe, but the T-Tech machine is essentially the same thing. Read about it here. They just disco a trans line at the cooler, and hook it to the machine. It uses the transmission's own pump to push the old fluid into a double-ended cylinder which is filled with fresh fluid. As the old fluid goes in one side, the fresh is pushed into the transmission by a piston inside the cylinder.

They have one at the One-Stop quick-lube on 6A on the Orleans/Brewster line. Those guys are NOT like Jiffy Lube; they actually do a GOOD job. Earl Heimerdinger (yes, that's his real name) was the manager there last I knew
    Its also possible to do this yourself with a 5 gal bucket and some extra line... Run the line to the tranny cooler into the bucket. have someone start the car and you keep dumping fresh ATF through the fill tube. Keep adding untill the fluid comes out new.

First of course drain the pan and change the filter, and top off the system a bit.

If you do this correctly you won't run anything dry and get a nice full flush. I've done this on several Fords.

Although its an assload easier to just take it to someone that has the tool lordy talked about.

Matt H.
    (sold)2004' SB, 268rwhp/295tq
    1990 Mustang GT, Dart 363, Si-trim, T56, Holley Terminator X. 622rwhp/527tq
    2003 SVT Cobra, Posi Port 497rwhp/481tq. SCT Pro Racer Pack.
    2017 F-150, 5.0
    2013 SHO DIB Performance Pack

If I bring in my own fluid for the flush machine how many quarts should I bring?

Quote Originally Posted by BAD MERC View Post
    I didn't read all the posts but which line is return? I am adding a tranny cooler this weekend and knowing which one to cut ahead of time will help me skip a step.
    Ask and ye shall receive!!!
    Last edited by Marauderjack; 12-01-2010 at 06:45 AM.
    No Marauder

Thread Information