Thread: Passenger Seat Removal

blkgrape Guest

Passenger Seat Removal

Hey guys a newbie here with a big problem....

I use a wheelchair and have taken out the passenger seat in order to put in a special base that allows me to sit in the car. In essence it is an old swivel base like in the vans of years back that has 2 c channels welded to it. My chair has the same rails with bearings attached to it. I roll the chair back and align the two rails and slide the seat and me into the car and swivel in, the rest goes in the trunk.

With the seat out the airbag light is on. I have installed a bypass for the side airbag from ford. But the light is still on. The dealership says the code is from the computer not seeing the occupant module in the system. I can't remove this module from the seat without ripping it all apart. Ford won't give me anymore clues because they say i'm not allowed to take the seat out. Without the seat out the car is useless to me. I suppose I could drive with the airbag light on, but not sure if the rest of the airbags are still functional.

Here's where you guys come in, can you think of any other ideas to get around this, maybe a computer flash to ignore it. Part no. to order the occupant module and just have it plugged in the system to fool it to think the seat is still there or any other parts to simulate the seat being there..

Any Help would be greatly appreciaited,
    Roly

Roly - Welcome to the site. IMHO the right side airbag would be inactive. Would it be possible to jump the connector so the module will think someone is in the passenger seat there by allowing the airbag to activate if required. If the seat is not secured properly the airbag could cause an injury. I would strongly recommend getting expert advise in matters of safety.
    2003 Marauder 300B,
    6468 out of 7839 - Thanks Brian
    Heated Seats
    35% Tint
    Mercury All Weather Mats
    Trunk Organizer - Thanks MartyO
    Sold 4/3/2009 Now resides in AL.
    1961 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible
    1973 Oldsmobile Toronado
    2012 Kia Sedona Van
    2008 Corvette Convertible
    2003 Marauder 300 A Thanks Larry O 6/14/17
    2021 Prius Prime Limited
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado High Country
    Member # 440
    ----- John

Truely sounds like something that should be reviewed with a company that does professional conversions.

Hope you get it figured out.

And welcome to the site!
    2003 Mercury Marauder
    2007 Mercury Mariner Premier 4WD V6
    2008 Mercury Sable Premier
    2002 Mercury Sable LS (Sold)
    1998 Ford Contour Sport (Sold)
    1997 Mercury Cougar XR7 (Scrapped)
    1997 Mercury Villager Nautica (Sold)
    2003 Mazda Protege5 (Sold)

Thread Information