Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Torque Wrench(s)

Torque Wrench(s)

Guys, I am sick of using my needle style torque wrench.

I went to Sears asking about the different wrenches that they offer (Craftsman) but none of the employees knew anything about them.

They didn't know how to set any of them, how to make sure they are calibrated correctly or anything else.

I am looking for a torque wrench that is reliable, good quality, and easy to use (maybe even a digital?).

Lastly, does anyone know of a formula that converts Ft. Ibs. to In. Ibs.?

For example, what would 90 In. Ibs be in Ft. Ibs?

So many of you do some much work on your cars, you must know your stuff about torque wrenches.

Quote Originally Posted by Shora View Post

I went to Sears asking about the different wrenches that they offer (Craftsman) but none of the employees knew anything about them.

They didn't know how to set any of them, how to make sure they are calibrated correctly or anything else.

I am looking for a torque wrench that is reliable, good quality, and easy to use (maybe even a digital?).

So many of you do some much work on your cars, you must know your stuff about torque wrenches.
    I bought my TR from Mac Tools, dial indicator setting that "snaps" when you hit the desired torque. Cost about $200 waaay back when. They guarantee it accurate for a year, then you can always have it recalibrated if needed (ie aviation mechanics) for a minimal fee.

Check a measurement conversion site for all your formulas, there's hundreds of them. Google is your friend.

1 of 170 '04 SB w/sunroof, light flint int.

MOD HISTORY:
    -Lidio's Xcal2 flash, JLT CAI
    -Trilogized June/08 (mostly installed by RC_Signals)
    13.2@103 on stock (balding) tires.
    -Added: SW Long tube Headers + High Flow Cats
    -New BFGs (Best Baby Shower gift EVER!)
    12.81@107.78 Oct 02/09
    -Ventilated Block Mod
    Out of commission
    -Rebuilt with:
    Teksid block/ForgedInternals/Melling oil pump/Canton windage tray/Rebuilt heads with SVT Cobra cams/Cloyes gears/ SVT Lightning MAF/Accufab TB/ MuscleMerc rear head cooling kit/ Steigy lightly ported and polished Eaton 112-
    -Widened rims
    XCal 4 Remote-tuned to PERFECTION by Jeff @ MartyO June/19

Quote Originally Posted by Taemian View Post
    I bought my TR from Mac Tools, dial indicator setting that "snaps" when you hit the desired torque. Cost about $200 waaay back when. They guarantee it accurate for a year, then you can always have it recalibrated if needed (ie aviation mechanics) for a minimal fee.

Check a measurement conversion site for all your formulas, there's hundreds of them. Google is your friend.

Thanks for the info. Will check out Mac Tools.

So far the best one that I found is this sucker by K-Tool International

Cannot make a mistake setting it and it works in BOTH Ft. Ibs. and In. Ibs. WOW.

Please, if someone knows of a better one, do let me know. I want to buy a new one ASAP.

KTI:

Digital torque wrench eliminates the possibility of human error with a series of lights and alarms that immediately alert the user to torque readings that are "over or under" entered values. Easy to use, exceedingly accurate (plus/minus 1 percent CW, plus/minus 2 percent CCW) and featuring a high contrast, backlit LCD screen display, users press only four buttons to operate the tool: power on/off; unit of measurement (ft./lbs., in./lbs., N-m); torque target up; and torque target down. Technicians can quickly switch among three types of measurement, eliminating the need to have three separate tools.
    Last edited by Shora; 04-15-2009 at 03:08 PM.

Multiply ft·lb by 12 to get inch·lb.
    Divide inch·lb by 12 to get ft·lb

Any torque wrench is going to be more accurate in the middle of it's range, than at it's extremes. So, trying to measure 1¼ ft·lb on a 0-250 ft·lb torque wrench will not work too well.
    Last edited by GetMeMyStogie; 04-15-2009 at 03:35 PM.

I have a Craftsman click-type that I've had for years. As much as I use it (3 or 4 times a year) it's a good deal at less than $80.00.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/

90 pound inch = 7.499 999 999 8 pound foot

“When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by GetMeMyStogie View Post

Inch·lb is usually used to indicate small torque values. Any torque wrench is going to be more accurate in the middle of it's range, than at it's extremes. So, trying to measure 1¼ ft·lb on a 0-250 ft·lb torque wrench will not work too well.

Good info.

The one I have pictured above is rated from 10-100 Ft. Pounds. Does that mean that I should not use it for things like changing spark plugs which need to be torqued to 11 ft. ibs.?

Fastblackmerc,

Thanks for the info. You wouldn't have a link to that TR would you? Looking for one that easy to set. What range is yours in?

Good info.

The one I have pictured above is rated from 10-100 Ft. Pounds. Does that mean that I should not use it for things like changing spark plugs which need to be torqued to 11 ft. ibs.?
    Yes, I'd get a 3/8 drive torque wrench in inch pounds for that.

Bigger wrench I'd get in a 1/2 drive.
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Fastblackmerc,

Thanks for the info. You wouldn't have a link to that TR would you? Looking for one that easy to set. What range is yours in?
    Foot pounds:
    Craftsman Microtork® Torque Wrench, 20-150 ft. lbs., 1/2 in. Drive
    Sears item# 00944595000

Inch pounds:
    Wrench, 25-250 in. lbs., 3/8 in. Drive
    Sears item# 00944593000

I'd also invest in a case for $8.00. Good protection.
    Ronald Regan

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by GetMeMyStogie View Post

Any torque wrench is going to be more accurate in the middle of it's range, than at it's extremes. So, trying to measure 1¼ ft·lb on a 0-250 ft·lb torque wrench will not work too well.

Sage advise.
    300A
    born 08-27-02
    Adjusted air in and air out.
    400+ timeslips.

When in doubt, GAS IT! This will either fix the problem, or end the suspense.

Shora,
    I have 2 Sears Craftsmen Torque Wrenches -- one 1/2 drive and one 3/8. The big one is in a plastic Permatex case; the small one is in its orig. cardboard case. Should be able to buy BOTH for about $150 total or less.
    GordonB
    2003 MM DBP (BLUE) (300B) w/Lt Flint (Hers); htd seats, 6 CD. PCM s/w level CRD1.
    Mods:Trunk Liner from Decklid Designs, Sunroof (ASC Model 840), McGard wheel locks, Godshead badges--steering & grill (fm Ron), Mac/Marty's Fender Badges, Silverstar Headlights, FLM accs--rear spoiler, door edge guards & trunk organizer. Bob White graphics. KB Dead Pedal & Polished Alum. Pedals. M&Z rear cntrl arms. DR (Addco) rear sway bar (24mm). Pro-Gard rear close-out panel. TCE Perf. braided SS brake lines.
    Born 5/22/03 and adopted 7/21/03. One of 328 DBP for 2003 out of 7838. Build seq. nbr: 7500 of 7838. Color seq. nbr: 282 of 328.

2004 DTR MM w/Lt Flint (His) with htd seats, 6 CD, Fact. Sunroof; born 6/15/04, adopted 7/8/04; one of 980 DTR for 2004 out of 3213. Upgraded same as Blue MM. Build seq. nbr: 3165 of 3214. Color seq. nbr: 973 of 980.

Other cars: '00 'Vette Coupe (Nassau Blue). '14 Vette Coupe (Lime Rock Green)
    Car Clubs: MBCC

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    Foot pounds:
    Craftsman Microtork® Torque Wrench, 20-150 ft. lbs., 1/2 in. Drive
    Sears item# 00944595000

Inch pounds:
    Wrench, 25-250 in. lbs., 3/8 in. Drive
    Sears item# 00944593000

I'd also invest in a case for $8.00. Good protection.
    Which would you use for spark plugs rated at 11 ft. ibs.?

I like the click-style torque wrenches.
    I know it's not the best way to use one, but the minimum setting on mine is 10 ft-lb and I use it for spark plugs, intake manifold bolts, etc. You can BARELY feel the click at the low end of the range.
    Thanks to Darrin @ BC Automotive:
    $1800 and it was worse than when he started!

Brian (FordNut) FPG # 1458 of 7838
    03 MM 300A (Lotsa mods, 130k mi) was 303rwhp/318rwtq N/A
    then 476/410 D1SC ProCharged on stock block
    then 660/555 D1SC PC on 5.3 wet sleeved Teksid alum big bore stroker
    then 365/369 N/A on 5.3 wet sleeved Teksid alum big bore stroker
    Now 751/617 3.4L Whipple on 5.3 Boss5.0 iron big bore stroker

03 MM 300B Silver (Mostly stock, originally wife's car, 370k mi) FPG # 7053 of 7838 or 49 of 417 SB
    03 MM 300B Silver, Stock, wife's next one, 136k mi FPG # 7134 of 7838 or 89 of 417 SB
    04 MM Silver, Stock, on standby 85k mi, FPG # 1212 of 3214 or 432 of 997 SB
    01 F150 longbed
    01 F150 shortbed
    00 F150 4x4 stepside
    01 F150 4x4 7700
    68 Stang FB (70 351C 4V, 4 wheel discs, project car)

Mods listed here (some items not current): FordNut's Mods

I bought a 1/2 Craftsman digitork in its own hard case ten years ago or more. I am really bad at getting it calibrated however. Check the one you buy for storage settings, most but not all need to be stored at 30 ft pds.

As much as i HATE craftsman, this has been a great unit!
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Exclamation Snap-on

If you really want an electronic torque wrench I would go with Snap-on. The prices on the website are high compared to what I bought mine from my local Snap-on dealer.
    IMHO you can't beat the quality, and you get what you pay for.

BAIR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information