Thread: Daytime running lights?

oxy2 Guest

Daytime running lights?

I don't see the DRLs on my MM? Did Mercury forget them? I thought they were on all cars from 1997. I don't see them on my 2001 GM either. They are referenced in the manual (refered to as, if equiped).

DRL's are required by Law in Canada, which is why the reference is there. The only cars that will have DRL's are the Canadian versions.

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    You can buy the module from the dealer and install them if you really want DRL

oxy2 Guest
    Thanks for the information. Still, it sounds cheap since so many other 97 and up cars have them.

Gotta throw my $.02's in here. DRL's are up to the individual. But I really think they are a hinderance. Mainly, the idiots that have them fail to turn there lights on during bad weather, rain, fog, etc. Unless you turn your lights on, your tail lights do not function with the DRL's. Therefore, you can't see the car with DRL's from behind until it might be to late. What a load the car makers put out about these being safe. Even from the front in bad weather, your car is har to see!

Bob, USNavy Retired
    2010 Taurus SHO Red Candy Metallic
    402A, 5% tint, Valentine 1, Laser Blaster,
    Livernois Stage 2tune, Airaid CAI
    Corsa cat-back, Lower molding stripe
    Born 10/27/09, came home 2/20/10

'03 MM 300A Gone, but not forgotten!
    Born 9/25/02, went home 11/04/02, passed on 3/21/06, Mileage: 100K

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...'Wow! What a ride!" (Unknown source)

Most fool drivers aren't smart enough to turn on the headlights in bad weather equipped with DRL or not. DRL's do provide a safety measure. Some of you might remember that NHTSA is evaulating the GM DRL's for intensity, seems they have received too many complaints about them being to bright.
    2003 Marauder, 300A, Black/Dark Charcoal
    Adopted August 8, 2007. Retired August 8 2014. Trilogy #234 installed May 2011, SS Inserts, Factory spoiler, widened rims, Nittos, Permachrome rims, 3.2 blower pulley.

2004 DTR/Dark Charcoal,
    Adopted: April 2004 Retired: February 2006
    Trilogy #34 Supercharger,SS Inserts,Factory spoiler,K&N AirCharger,Moonroof,Heated seats,6 disc

2003 300A, Black,
    Adopted: June 2002 Retired: April 2004
    Rienhart stage one.

Has anyone experienced their light switch not turning off the lights when switched to the off position after having them on. It happened to me twice, once during the day time in the rain and once during the night. Both times I had the car in park with the parking brakes engaged, I kept switching the switch back and forth, finally I just turned the car off. It seemed like they were stuck in the on position regardless of what position the switch was in. Any feedback would be appreciated, Thank's.
    Carlos
    '03 Marauder 300A
    • Built 8-23-02
    • TRADED IN

Brian Guest
    There are two different sitiuations that I am aware of where having the headlamp switch in the "Off" position will - by design - not result in headlamps off.

Quoting from the Headlamp section of the Owner Guide, under Autolamp control:
    1)
    "* To turn the headlamps on, rotate the control counterclockwise to the next position from OFF.
    * To turn qutolamps off, rotate the control clockwise past OFF to the parking lamp position, then back off"

2)
    "The headlamps will also turn on when the windshield wipers are activated, after a 10-20 second delay"

You mentioned about lights being on in the daytime in the rain. That is by design - see #2 above. Assumption is that if your wipers are on it is raining, and visibility is poor, so the headlamps are automatically turned on to make your vehicle more visable to other drivers.

You didn't mention if the nighttime occurance was also with wipers on or not, but if you were switching from the "Autolamp" position to the "OFF" position, the lights don't turn off by design, see #1 above. You have to turn from Autolamp past the off position and then back to off to get them to turn actually off. I'm not sure why it is designed that way, but it is.

Thank's Brian, I think you hit the mark with your reply, both times were in the rain, you were very helpful, I should take the time to review the Owners Manual more indepth, Thank's.
    Carlos
    '03 Marauder 300A
    • Built 8-23-02
    • TRADED IN

Thread Information