Thread: HID Conversion

Question HID Conversion

All,

Has anyone done any research in to doing a High Intensity Discharge (HID) conversion on the Marauder? I am not talking about the so called "HID bulbs" from the corner parts store but a full conversion similar to this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...871616327&rd=1 .

My biggest concern is heat build up melting or discoloring the lenses or reflectors. I believe the electrical system can easily handle the load as can the wiring harness. Most of these kits only use the original wiring to activate relays not drive the lighting units.

Any thoughts?
    Wayne

be on the lookout at the shootout this week end somebody with an SS may have done it all but it ain't on the cheap. the export glass lens capsules are 500+ and then the hid wiring and bulbs are another $500 for over a grand investment i'd think you might find better uses for the cash. still there are some that have done it. keep your eyes peeled. in the meantime a couple of auto parts places are running a special on the sylvania silver star bulbs this week. i highly recommend them as an affordable upgrade. rock on, rus

V10_P70 Guest

Exclamation Try HID lights from Cartier L Towncar

The HID lights come standard on the 2003 Cartier L Towncar. This is a panther platform. Just a thought.

https://web.msslib2.dealerconnection...000c588032e865

V10_P70,

I checked into that...the price for new parts is a bad joke! You would need a wreck to recycle...
    Wayne

V10_P70 Guest

Cost versus Engineering

The solution for the Cartier has been already sorted out. You are entering into r&d prototype work by doing it on your own. Look at the various part sellers to see what type of deal can be found on these Ford parts.

OK, I got the whole HID and flicker thing split up. Should make things less confusing.

frank b Guest
    I looked into the HID conversion for my F-150 and Sylvania offers their Xenarc kit for a few hundred dollars (as high as 900 but I found it elsewhere for 600 or so).

And building the conversion myself (the ballast is the most difficult part by far) turned out to be too time consuming. I may still do it later for fun.

Also heat should not be a problem with a true HID setup. HID works on an the principle of an electrical discharge through a gas so it's not unlike a flouresent in that sense rather than standard bulbs which simply use resistive heating of a filament to make it glow.

Another thing to consider would be a projector headlamp assembly of some sort. As far as i know the marauder has a reflector style (I may be wrong on that) There's no use in upgrading your light system if you're stuck with lousy optics. A projector system only uses a lens to put the light to the road rather than a mirror and is what you'll see on the high end BMWs.

Here's a link to check out for HID information. ONe of the many I came across in my own search for information hopefully it will help you.

http://faq.auto.light.tripod.com/

Thread Information