Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil Pressure Guage Answer From Auto Meter

Thumbs down Oil Pressure Guage Answer From Auto Meter

All,

Below is the my query and the response, from Auto Meter, regarding the Oil Pressure Guage in the Marauder:

Hello,
    I have a 2003 Mercury Marauder. I would like to convert the oil pressure guage in it to read the actual, true oil pressure, not just be a on/off indicator. Do you have a kit to do this conversion? I know the oil pressure sender will need replaced. But is the guage it's self ballasted to provide a continual mid range position or is it a stock Autometer guage?

Thanks,

Wayne

Dear Wayne,
    Thank you for your question. I understand you are disappointed to find a gauge that appears to be an Auto Meter gauge, yet functions as a typical original equipment (OE) piece.

Auto Meter Products built the Marauder's gauges to Ford Motor Company's specifications while borrowing from the look of our Ultra Lite instrument line - that's why they function like an original equipment (OE) gauge, but look like Auto Meter's Ultra Lite gauges. The gauge is not ballasted. Rather, as you indicated, it operates more like an "on/off" switch.

Although your idea of a conversion kit for your Marauder's oil pressure gauge is logical and inventive, we will not be manufacturing a conversion kit for it. As it is built to Ford's OE specifications, the gauge cannot accommodate such an adaptation.

We are not licensed to manufacture any look alike gauges, even on a "one off" basis, to match the stock Marauder instruments.

If you desire to completely replace your stock oil pressure gauge, I'd first check with your local Ford dealer regarding warranty issues. Additionally, removing OE senders/gauges will send error messages to the car's CPU, causing flashing "service engine soon," or other warning lights. This can be problematic and frustrating. Again, please consult your certified Ford dealer to discuss warranty issues before replacing any of your OE senders and/or instrumentation.

The optimum scenario is to complement your OE gauges with functioning Auto Meter product. Again, you are advised to contact your local Ford dealer to determine if you've adequate ports, clearance, etc... to tap into your vehicle's engine. If you would like to receive an Auto Meter catalog, please reply to this email with your full name and mailing address. I'd be happy to send you one!

I hope I've answered your questions. Thank you again for your email and your continued support of Auto Meter Products.

Sincerely,
    Brett Littlefield

Hopefully this will resolve the questions regarding the Oil Pressure Guage.....or should I say "Warning Guage"?
    Wayne

That sucks...

Hmmm... It might be worth the $50 to order a standard autometer oil pressure gauge and hook it up in place and see what happens, if anything...

Flash Guest

Lightbulb

03 Merc,

Read AutoMeter's reply:

Went out to garage and pulled out the two gauge bezel (factory refers to it as a "finish panel") to take a look. Remembering what AO said:

"Additionally, removing OE senders/gauges will send error messages to the car's CPU, causing flashing "service engine soon," or other warning lights"

I have an idea, remove the stock gauge from the bezel leaving all the stock wires in place and tuck it in behind the bezel, there's plenty of space. Then put a 'real' AutoMeter gauge and sending unit in. BTW down by the oil filter housing where the stock sending unit is there is another hole drilled and tapped with a plug in it, [factory foresight?]. Just add a 90° elbow, sending unit, wire to new gauge in bezel and tap off the voltmeter for the light circut and we're good to go.

For the record, I just remembered something. I've driven around for a week with the gauge physically removed from the car while I was modifying the bezel for a third gauge. That being said, removing the stock Oil pressure gauge will NOT cause the service engine light to come on, nor will it cause any other issues.

Flash, you've got the right idea, there are additional bosses on the block to screw a real pressure gauge into and just replace the stock gauges.

Logan and Flash,

As I posted in a earlier thread the wiring diagram for the MM does not show the oil pressure sender switch going to the computer. It goes straight to the guage... I think if you replace the sender and the guage you can re-use the stock wiring... which saves us the biggest hassle in installing guages usually... Since the MM does not have a "Check Guages" light we won't lose any functionality...but you may scare the crap out of a dealer tech doing an oil change
    Wayne

Moparzz Guest

Lightbulb

I think we are going about this all wrong. We didn't create this problem, FORD DID! We should collectively contact our dealers, Ford engineering, and Ford corporate and put the burden on them! Why should we be doing all of the hard work to resolve the issue of them putting in a bogus gauge in what is supposed to be a modern day muscle car. Let's use a little of our muscle (and intelligence) by dialing the phones and maybe writing some letters to get this and maybe some other issues taken care of also. Don't do for them what they should be doing for you!.......................... ...Phew, glad I got that off my chest.

I agree with Bobby. I recommend insisting that these bull-s**t guages
    be fixed. As far as I'm concerned my oil guage is broken. It does not
    tell me the OIL PRESSURE. What kind of oil pressure guage does not
    display the oil pressure. Complete horse-hockey!

Johnny
    - SCT ala DR. Yippee!!

Ford's oil pressure gauges have operated in the same manner for decades... Not that that makes it right... but...

I had the same problem with the factory oil pressure gauge in my 93 TBird. Although the gauge was not an Autometer, the same principles apply. I replaced the oil pressure switch with a Mustang 5.0 sending unit. I also had to solder a jumper on the dash circuit board to bypass a 20K ohm resistor (this would not apply here). The gauge now reads like a true oil pressure gauge. All you have to do is find what sending unit will work with the Marauder gauge and use it to replace the factory switch. Like someone mentioned previous, I highly doubt the EEC has an input from this switch. Autometer is just covering their ass'.

Mitch

Autometer sells a sending unit, part number #2242

Post Oil gauge

The owners manual on page 16 states "If the pointer drops below the normal operating range (40-60 psi) or the minimum low (6 psi) pressure when the engine is running, stop your vehicle as soon as possible" To me that is proof in writing that the gauge is reading actual oil pressure or that it should. We paid a lot of money for this car, why should we have to spend more money to make the gauge work as stated in own. manual? Is bad enough Mercury advertises the car as a muscle car smoking the tires at a dragstrip. I went to my dealer today to simply talk to someone about some questions and issues unique to the MM. and the asst. service manager told me that they just fix broken cars, the mechanics are not there to answer my questions and told my salesman somebody would have to pay his mechanics time to talk to me. I walked away without saying a word (to avoid hitting the sob.) The salesman chased after me to apologize and he claims he will have an engineer from Ford contact me. I believe that will never happen.
    Last edited by Smokie; 11-05-2002 at 12:36 PM.
    Smokie
    12.79 @ 107 mph.
    60' 1.851 Street tires & Stock wheels.
    TIMESLIPS
    Performance Mods: Base Trilogy Kit, Exhaust, PHP Airbox.
    Visit my Garage
    Florida "The Supercharged State"

Ray Snyder Guest
    I'm with these guy's. I wish this had come to light before they called to quix me about my satisfation with the car. They did however leeve me a phone number for the Maruader tech support folks. But I coan't find it. Did anybody else get this number as I would really like to call them and complain.

I'd rather have a real gage than a leather jacket.

Customer Service 1-800-521-4140
    Bill
    03 Mercury Marauder, 300A
    SOLD
    2005 Lincoln Town Car, ADTR Supercharger, TCE Brake Lines, MO's Tune
    2022 Lincoln Aviator Reserve AWD

Pleasant Hill Ca. - across the bay from San Francisco.

Oil Guage

Just Called the 1-800 cust. service line and she said they don' t help with tech. problems that I should call my dealer again and again and again.
    Perhaps if we all call the cust. ser. line at once they will notice?
    If we hammer at this I think we will get an answer soon, real soon.

Warren B.

I'm going to talk to someone who worked on the development of this car. There's probably an Autometer sending unit you can use with the factory gauge. The question is: which one is the right one. We'll see.

Mitch

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information