Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suspension (?) Rattle

Suspension (?) Rattle

For the longest time I've been hearing a rattle coming from the front when going over bumps, and another, more metallic sounding, quick rattle coming from the rear. I thought maybe it was the shocks as I heard mentioned that the old, worn out shocks tend to get noisy. All four have been replaced and it made no difference to the noise I'm hearing. On top of it all I'm hearing a creaking noise from the front right as I get close to stopping while holding the brakes. Any thoughts?
    "Beast, Jr."

2003 300 A, 4.10:1 gear, JLT CAI, Marty tune, Nitto 420S and 555 tires, NGK TR55 plugs, J-mod, Skull lock knobs, and a new windshield

I hear a fluttering sound coming from the front right and have not been able to isolate what it is yet...might be the same rattle you are hearing.....curious

Yeah, I want this rattle to go away but for the life of me I can't figure out what's causing it.

I think that the ball boints and/or tie-rod end may be a problem on these cars. I have not had a problem yet, but my parents have an 05 CV (same suspension setup except steel control arms and softer springs). They had to replace 2 ball joints by 55K miles.
    2018 F-250 6.7L Crew Cab 4x4
    2013 Dodge Charge R/T Daily Driver/Beater - All original 208K miles and counting
    Sold - 04 Marauder, Silver, Dark Interior, Factory Sunroof.
    Z-Tune, JLT CAI, Z&M Control Arms, KYB Shocks, BC4E Dead Pedal, Pro Guard, Sparta Watts links, R1 Slotted Front Rotors, Braided SS Brake Lines, Automatic Traction Control "Turner-Offer".
    4.10 FRPP gears awaiting install (on extended hold).

I'm thinking that could be the issue... No one can find anything actually loose, and I noticed the same exact issue on my old Lincoln (making only $320/mo, I couldn't really afford to do anything about it anyway at the time). Ball joints seem affordabel enough.. But can anyone give me any info on the difficulty of doing it in the garage as opposed to the cost of having it done?

Nothing loose nothing found. TURN the radio UP and keep the wheels rolling.

Nothing loose nothing found. TURN the radio UP and keep the wheels rolling.
    Ha, Just because you can't find a problem doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
    Steve H., Charles County, MD www.carfap.com
    1994 Lincoln Town Car. 98-02 front brakes, P71 steering and sway bars, Eaton swap build underway using TorkTech 4.6 2v intake kit.
    2011 Infiniti M37x
    2004 F250, v10 6 speed manual. ex-US Forest Service truck
    2000 BMW M5
    1976 Jeep DJ5 (postal)

Mike, check the sway bar end links before anything else. When these go they make all kinds of racket. Good thing is they are very cheap and an easy fix.
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Does it sound like a paper cup rattling in the right front kick panel??
    No Marauder

Quote Originally Posted by justbob View Post
    Mike, check the sway bar end links before anything else. When these go they make all kinds of racket. Good thing is they are very cheap and an easy fix.
    +! on these - ask me how I know!!
    Very hard to feel the end play in the links as it is very hard to "unload" them.
    They make a H*LL of a rattle going over bumps a low speed!
    SOLD '03 300A Black - "805" of 7838
    Plate - "EVILMERC"

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

Gillom Rogers: [Books is giving Gillom a shooting lesson] Mr. Books, How is it you've killed so many men? My spread wasn't much bigger than yours.
    John Bernard Books: First of all,friend, there's no one up there shooting back at you. Second, I found most men aren't willing, they bat an eye, or draw a breath before they shoot. I won't.

Thumbs up Your Right!!

Kudos, it is the front sway bar end links - the bolt broke or pulled loose. I had the same sound particulary going over bumps. Ford sells the part. It is hard to see unless you take off the front tires and closely examine the end links.

Glenn
    Trilogy #124 SOLD - 8/2014
    11.80 @ 117.16 MPH: SSHS9
    1.74 sec - 60'
    443 RWHP/437 RWTQ
    "Stock Internal Engine" - Click Below

Okay, I got nowhere checking out the linkages (I got distracted), but when I was getting started I heard a creak come from the right front wheel. With the wheel off the ground, I tried wiggling it from side to side and such, and it creaked every time. I recorded the sound with my crackberry and uploaded the audio to my joke of a web site. I am under the impression that it's the hub/bearing. Any thoughts would be appreciated before I buy unnecessary parts. Here's a link to the audio file:

http://www.ledzilla.us/audio/VN00004.amr

It's not a standard audio format , but I got it to play with Windows Media Player.
    "Beast, Jr."

2003 300 A, 4.10:1 gear, JLT CAI, Marty tune, Nitto 420S and 555 tires, NGK TR55 plugs, J-mod, Skull lock knobs, and a new windshield

if your hearing a creak when moving the wheel side to side its most likely tie rods or ball joints. wheel bearings won't make that sound.

a quick and easy diag for ya. while the car is in the air, zip the nut off of the tie rod and pull it out of the nuckle. now move the wheel side to side. if it still makes the creak then its ball joints (lowers most likely). if the creak is gone then you know its tie rods.

Quote Originally Posted by want1 View Post
    a quick and easy diag for ya. while the car is in the air, zip the nut off of the tie rod and pull it out of the nuckle. now move the wheel side to side. if it still makes the creak then its ball joints (lowers most likely). if the creak is gone then you know its tie rods.
    Kept forgetting to check back on this thread. I'll try and do that this weekend. If Friday night goes on into Saturday morning with my new lady friend, then I'll have to give it a whirl on Sunday. I already know that I need new ball joints, I just hope I don't have to add a new tie rod end to the list of parts for the right front. &%^#$&# potholes...
    "Beast, Jr."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information