Thread: Torque wrench questions

Torque wrench questions

My 1/2" torque wrench click type. It is made by Great Neck. Measures from 10 -150 lbs. (1) If I use an extention short or long will that change the set measured tq rate ? (2) If I use oil on the threads or antiseize on the threads will that change the tq rate ?
    2004 marauder black purchased new. Sold 9/16 at 297,000 miles. Still ran strong didn't burn a drop of oil.
    2003 marauder black 28,000 miles all stock. Garage Queen.
    2004 marauder red daily driver.

An extension won't change the applied torque - your wrench will still apply the torque at which it is set. Keep in mind that that's the tubular extension that keeps the axis of the bolt to be torqued in the same place as it was before.

Something like a long crowfoot wrench are also called extensions, and they would further multiply the torque, causing you to have to adjust. Maybe someone else can explain that better.

Adding never seize won't change the torque applied, but because it reduces the friction, it will cause a much higher bolt stretch and thus higher clamping load for the same torque. That is, you'll still be applying X ft lbs to the bolt, but you will be applying more force to the threads at that torque with the lubricant applied - so in many cases, the applied torque should be reduced.

Makes sence to me. I just don't understand when the guy at the tire shops uses the impact wrenches & diffenant torque sticks to vary lb rates. Why is that application any different than us using extentins on a torque wrench ? It must be due to the tq setting appplied pressure reguardless of leverage.

For my understanding 12 in lbs=1 ft lb ?
    Last edited by burt ragio; 07-10-2009 at 07:36 AM. Reason: q
    2004 marauder black purchased new. Sold 9/16 at 297,000 miles. Still ran strong didn't burn a drop of oil.

The torque sticks are manufactured to yield/twist at a specified torque range. The tech running the impact can see/feel this and stop the gun at the right range.
    The socket extensions of the straight solid type won't effect the torque setting on your wrench.
    Your math is correct.
    SOLD '03 300A Black - "805" of 7838
    Plate - "EVILMERC"

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

Gillom Rogers: [Books is giving Gillom a shooting lesson] Mr. Books, How is it you've killed so many men? My spread wasn't much bigger than yours.
    John Bernard Books: First of all,friend, there's no one up there shooting back at you. Second, I found most men aren't willing, they bat an eye, or draw a breath before they shoot. I won't.

Also, if you want an accurate torque reading, do not rely on the wrench for values within 10% of their minimum and maximum rating. Maybe this rule does not apply to auto, but we used it when we were elbow deep inside a warhead.
    Just another clown on a bike...

As good as any man, better than none.

Former owner of a highly modified and very fast Marauder.

"You CAN fit a square peg into a round hole, all you need is a big enough hammer." -Original

http://www.specialpatrolgroup.co.uk/...ue/torque.html

this is for adding a linear extension to the torque wrench.

You can add an extension perpendicular to the torque wrench and not have to adjust/ compensated the desired torque setting.
    2003 Mercury Marauder "It's seriously been broken more than it's been driven"
    Build date:6/18/02
    Adopted: 4/1/06
    Stuff. Plus an Eaton M112 awaiting install. 63k

2008 Lincoln Navigator L 225k
    1993 Ford Crown Vic HPP "Tank Of Justice III" (TOJ 3) 194k WAP PI swap, J-Mod, Steeda under drives, and stuff 29mpg/578miles per tank

Are the torque specs you are looking at rated with the threads dry or with lubricant? Generally, using any kind of friction modifier will reduce the torque requirement. As I recall from published articles and from data supplied by ARP and from other sources, using 30 wt oil reduces the torque requirement to something like 80 - 85% and using antisieze can reduce this as to low as 65%. So be careful or you will overstress the fastener.

Mitch

Wow great info. I never realized oil & anti sieze would change specs by such a large percentage.
    I need to change my spark plugs. I understand they are to be tq. at 11 in lbs. Anti sieze is also used. Who makes a torque wrench that would cover these perimeters ? Do most people just use a plain rachet & exercise exteame caution ? Our aluminum heads are not cheap.

you can get a decent wrench at harbour freight. but, if you're going to be using one alot, i'd recommend a Craftsman or Snap-on wrench.
    2003 Mercury Marauder "It's seriously been broken more than it's been driven"
    Build date:6/18/02
    Adopted: 4/1/06
    Stuff. Plus an Eaton M112 awaiting install. 63k

2008 Lincoln Navigator L 225k
    1993 Ford Crown Vic HPP "Tank Of Justice III" (TOJ 3) 194k WAP PI swap, J-Mod, Steeda under drives, and stuff 29mpg/578miles per tank

Would you have a model number ?

If you go down to Sears and join the Craftsman Club they'll send you flyers on special sale prices on all kinds of Craftsman stuff. I got all 3 of my Craftsman torque wrenches on sale thru them,matter of fact I was just at Sears the other day and got some tools on sale to replace some of what got stolen during my recent move.You can never have enough tools.
    Member #462
    2004 DTR II
    2005 H-D E Glide Classic
    2009 Super Glide Custom

"Come See a Fat Old Man Sometime"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlB7bz0TrZM

I use the cheapie great neck torque wrenches as well. If the sears and HF stuff are also made in china, there is probably no real difference in accuracy.
    Steve H., Charles County, MD www.carfap.com
    1994 Lincoln Town Car. 98-02 front brakes, P71 steering and sway bars, Eaton swap build underway using TorkTech 4.6 2v intake kit.
    2011 Infiniti M37x
    2004 F250, v10 6 speed manual. ex-US Forest Service truck
    2000 BMW M5
    1976 Jeep DJ5 (postal)

Thread Information