Thread: What is happening to MercuryMarauder.net?

What is happening to MercuryMarauder.net?

As an amateur radio operator, otherwise known as Ham Radio, there are two items which are treated as faux pas* when discussed openly on the air -- Religion and Politics. I joined this forum, albeit not too long ago, as an avenue to find information on a car that has always been a dream of mine to own, the Mercury Marauder. Before purchasing the Marauder, much of my decision was made from the feedback and friendliness I found herein. Both the knowledge-base and true love of the car from the members of this forum is overwhelming!

However, it seems that this place has become more like the "Rants & Raves" section of Craig's List than the informative database it was intended to be. The blatant violation of posted "rules" is quite disturbing, with enforcement seeming to only apply to certain members (you most likely know who I am referring to).

The Rules message (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...ement.php?f=25) clearly explains the following:

This following topics are not allowed on this message board and will be removed if posted: Religion, politics, race/racism, abortion, highly sensitive or controversial subjects that incites arguments, promotion of illegal drugs or illegal activity, software piracy, material which is exceedingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, extremely sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violate any law, chain letters, pyramid schemes, or any form of solicitation unless authorized and approved by the owners beforehand.

Why has this been ALLOWED to go by the wayside?

*(A faux pas (pronounced /ˌfoʊˈpɑː/, plural: faux pas /ˌfoʊˈpɑː(z)/) is a violation of accepted social rules (for example, standard customs or etiquette rules). Faux pas vary widely from culture to culture, and what is considered good manners in one culture can be considered a faux pas in another. The term comes originally from French, and literally means "false step".)
    Last edited by W4LTD; 08-01-2009 at 04:57 AM.

2007 CVPI & 2004 Marauder 300A

Thumbs up Hello - fellow Ham

Hello to a fellow Ham from K3ZOT. The net has changed as the membership changes. Many younger - 2nd and 3rd time owners with different views and beliefs then the original owners who started the net. I have had a difficult time adjusting myself - but heck - life goes on. Some times I have to periodically take a vacation from both boards to clear my head. It all seems to be part of our society today. But, its not that bad - the administrators do a good job - thankless as it is.

73's

Glenn
    Trilogy #124 SOLD - 8/2014
    11.80 @ 117.16 MPH: SSHS9
    1.74 sec - 60'
    443 RWHP/437 RWTQ
    "Stock Internal Engine" - Click Below

I think folks realized it is hard not to talk about politics when so much revolves around it. Cash for Clunkers, perfect example. We are gearheads, this affects a lot of us. Health care, another example. Anything politicians do that may cause us to pay more taxes is less money for car parts. It all loops back around, see. I think these debates are theraputic. I'd rather see someone let their frustrations out on here than go blitzkrieg at a daycare center or something. But, not my site, just my 2 pesos.

~But, it makes it a lot easier when he is manscaped.~ Haggis
    ~Cool, I can have one of those strangulation orgasms without the strangle.
    WIN WIN!~ Zack
    ~Who needs to stop? I just wanna gooooooooooo ~ -Matt-

I couldn't agree more. Here in the real world I have many friends on both sides of the political fence. All of them get mad at me for being a moderate. But in the end it's a good natured discussion. It seems like on here it's nothing but hate mongering. I realize I'm probably oversimplifying things a bit, but dear god the mood in this place is really a drag anymore. I try taking a few days off from time to time but it never seems to get better.
    300B Built 1.10.03

As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride. -Amen

You will find that i veeeerrry rarely post in a political, usually not at all. It is a great way to make enemies very fast! You think customizing a car is bad? Name one thing you don't like about government and BOOM even your best friends take it way toooo seriously and jump on you. No thanks, leave me out of those discussions.
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Quote Originally Posted by justbob View Post
    Name one thing you don't like about government and BOOM even your best friends take it way toooo serious
    I don't like you anymore.

~But, it makes it a lot easier when he is manscaped.~ Haggis
    ~Cool, I can have one of those strangulation orgasms without the strangle.
    WIN WIN!~ Zack
    ~Who needs to stop? I just wanna gooooooooooo ~ -Matt-

Why do we keep havin' this discussion? If you don't like it, CLOSE THE DAMN THREAD, AND MOVE ON!!!! This is no one's personal forum, what makes anything think that they can ***** about the content (Owners excluded!) We're adults here, at least most of us. If the owners don't have a problem with a post, STFU, and quit stirring the pot, causing more headaches for our overworked Admin, etc. We get a few whiners, complaining, and the owner's have to react/censor. If you crave a boring site, there are other forums available to JUST get your info, I invite you to go check them out!

Off my box, As SgtMac used to say "Carry on Gents"

Ken
    MARAUDERS get me ****!

i dont mind em. im not gona go join some political site so i can talk there. i have friends here and find there opinons intresting, i also learn a great deal.
    2010 fusion se

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Why do we keep havin' this discussion? If you don't like it, CLOSE THE DAMN THREAD, AND MOVE ON!!!! This is no one's personal forum, what makes anything think that they can ***** about the content (Owners excluded!) We're adults here, at least most of us. If the owners don't have a problem with a post, STFU, and quit stirring the pot, causing more headaches for our overworked Admin, etc. We get a few whiners, complaining, and the owner's have to react/censor. If you crave a boring site, there are other forums available to JUST get your info, I invite you to go check them out!

Off my box, As SgtMac used to say "Carry on Gents"

Ken
    Yep.... like turning the tv channel, or changing tracks, or whatever...
    Maybe we should try:
    www.watchpaintdry.com

www.thegrassisgreener.com

Or something......
    04 Crown Victoria Sport

2008 Harley Davidson Nightrain- sold....

2016 Harley Davidson Street Glide - Olive Gold

1995 F150 4x2 4.9 5spd

1995 Schwinn High Plains 21 speed, custom gearing.

W4QVS here......

73's!!

Glenn...I like your call sign....."ZOT"!!!
    No Marauder

Usually when people mention politics here, not always, but usually it has something to do with cars or transportation.

Most of the time this is limited to the lounge where it belongs or maybe the test forum but even there things get way out of hand for no reason.

Rules are rules but friends are friends, when you don't know someone who your friend doesn't like then one tends to side with a friend. Also with more than one mod things can get worse. But things can be handled with ignore options even though sometimes it can lead to multiple same answers for others.

Religion is less ignored here and if you disagree with someone they get mad at you.

Likewise if you disagree with wild statements people get emotional and freak out.

Now this isn't as bad as the Star trek forums when you point out that the federation is communism but certian persons here stand up strong and preach their bigotry. But the the silent majority only shakes our heads and things...

Anyhow welcome to the forum, where there is more Marauder related info than anywhere else and if you ignore the lounge not too many problems except by a few.

(And those few are all pointing at me, or Dom or oh well.)

Who are you? And what have you done with Aren Jay? LOL Well said.
    2004 Silver Birch

Silver Birch Society

"I hear and I Forget
    I see and I Remember
    I do and I Understand"

There's been political discussion here since the day I showed up and probably long before that as well.

There is nothing new about it. Why complain now?
    "No one is useless if they can still be used as a bad example." ~ SSgt. Miller.

"Loud pipes lose rights."

I value political discussion on a auto-enthusiast forum (such as MM.net) about as much as I value car talk on a political talk show.

Quote Originally Posted by CBT View Post
    I don't like you anymore.

KB9JUJ
    Member #462
    2004 DTR II
    2005 H-D E Glide Classic
    2009 Super Glide Custom

"Come See a Fat Old Man Sometime"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlB7bz0TrZM

Thread Information