Thread: Help me choose!

Help me choose!

Hey,

I posted here a few weeks ago because my front KDW II's (KDW NT's) got eaten up by the stock alignment. What I got away with pretty well on the OEM KDW S's bit me on these, so I ruined a $210 tire after only 22K miles. I've since done what I should have done in 2004 (except now it cost me more) and had the alignment set to Carfixer's specs.

Anyway, as has been posted here, I can still get the 235/50-18 KDW II's, B.F. Goodrich is still making them, but not the 255/55-18's, as BFG has stopped them for 2009.

SO, please help me out here. I've read a bunch of stuff online here and may have to mix brands or brand models.

Q: First off, does anyone know why the Nitto's are so inexpensive? I'm not complaining, but they are a bargain compared to the BFG's. How's the quality?

After much research I'm kind of down to these 3 options. Please let me know if I'm off base.

1) What about the Nitto NT555 235/50ZR18'S in front, and the NT555 255/45ZR18 in the rear? Would that be too low a rear?

2) If so, how about the same NT555 235/50ZR18's in front and Nitto 420S 255/55-18's in the rear?

3) Finally, what about the same BFG gForce TA KDW II's I have now in the front, at 235/50ZR18, and the Nitto 420S 255/55-18 in the rear?

Those are kind of what 2 hours of reading has me coming up with. The BFG's in option 3 are nearly $100 more each than the NT555's in the same size I think, so I'm looking for the value there.

Bottom line, I really liked my KDW II's personally, I just wore them out prematurely in front. Looks like the Nittos all come with more tread, are unidirectional, AND cost less, so I'm suspicious there's a down side I'm not seeing.

Thanks for your input on the options above. (I've looked at the General and don't think I'll go with that, and like the looks of the Nitto better than the Goodyear right now...)

Norm
    Last edited by Svashtar; 08-28-2009 at 07:07 PM.
    2003 black pre-decontented 300B #5886 of 7838; Born on 10/31/02
    MartyO tune, 4:10's, T/A stud & girdle, MMX shaft+DS loop, Metco control arms, Quickor RSB, Addco FSB, Megs delete tips, Granatelli solid coil connectors, NGK plugs & LP 170 stat, DR rear engine cooling mod, PI 3000 TC, Level II tranny, Art Carr deep pan, Steeda pullies/billet caps, billet door locks, Ford Racing oil cap / polished coil covers, PHP CAK & Metco carbon fiber intake, DG Motorsports CF radiator cover, Fumoto oil drain valve, oil deflector, real Autometer gauges, ScanGauge II, Weatherflectors, underbody lighting kit, Zack chrome grill, OEM spoiler & door edge guards, KB dead pedal, Dynopro aluminum sills & pedals, Viper alarm w/ remote start, MM fender badges, red painted calipers, SS inserts, Silverstar Ultras, hood bumpers, 35% tints, Gorilla lug nuts, MM valve caps, Pro-Guard, DD trunk lid liner, CM UHI kit, CM Godshead rear & steering wheel badges, S-55 badge, FilterMag, MM trunk bib, ported sub-woofer.

I ruined a $210 tire after only 22K miles.(quote)What kind of mileage are you expecting on performance tires?
    That is all I have ever got out of a set of BFG's and rears ?
    not even that
    2004 Trilogy #93P 12.2@113 Built and stalled

Blog Entries
    In my opionion from past experence : (1) The NT555's are a harder riding tire and will wear alot better than the BFG's. If your looking for a tire that will last a longer the NT555's are better.(2) The NT555's grip the road Better in my opionion also.(3) If your into doing burn out's and smoking your tires the NT555's will not smoke as much as the BFG's. (4) As far as size that will be up too you .The Nitto 420S: a few south florida marauder owners have them and they ride nice and are not as hard as the NT555's. Their running the NT420S 285's on their rears, stock rims with no issues.
    Last edited by Cobra25; 08-29-2009 at 05:32 AM.

I have Nitto 420s 255-55 on the rear and stock BFGs on the front...it rides well...I am due to replace the fronts soon though. The stance is mean too. BUT I had a fellow member say that the 420s had a "squirmy" feel. I havent experienced that yet and hopefully his tires have adjusted.

"Murcy"
    135 of 11,052

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley G View Post
    I ruined a $210 tire after only 22K miles.(quote)What kind of mileage are you expecting on performance tires?
    That is all I have ever got out of a set of BFG's and rears ?
    not even that
    If I hadn't burned out the insides of the fronts because of the factory alignment I could easily get another 4+K out of them IMO. There's still 3/32nds left on the front and nearly 4/32nds on the back after 22K, and they only came with 8/32nds.
    MartyO tune, 4:10's, T/A stud & girdle, MMX shaft+DS loop, Metco control arms, Quickor RSB, Addco FSB, Megs delete tips, Granatelli solid coil connectors, NGK plugs & LP 170 stat, DR rear engine cooling mod, PI 3000 TC, Level II tranny, Art Carr deep pan, Steeda pullies/billet caps, billet door locks, Ford Racing oil cap / polished coil covers, PHP CAK & Metco carbon fiber intake, DG Motorsports CF radiator cover, Fumoto oil drain valve, oil deflector, real Autometer gauges, ScanGauge II, Weatherflectors, underbody lighting kit, Zack chrome grill, OEM spoiler & door edge guards, KB dead pedal, Dynopro aluminum sills & pedals, Viper alarm w/ remote start, MM fender badges, red painted calipers, SS inserts, Silverstar Ultras, hood bumpers, 35% tints, Gorilla lug nuts, MM valve caps, Pro-Guard, DD trunk lid liner, CM UHI kit, CM Godshead rear & steering wheel badges, S-55 badge, FilterMag, MM trunk bib, ported sub-woofer.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra25 View Post
    In my opionion from past experence : (1) The NT555's are a harder riding tire and will wear alot better than the BFG's. If your looking for a tire that will last a longer the NT555's are better.(2) The NT555's grip the road Better in my opionion also.(3) If your into doing burn out's and smoking your tires the NT555's will not smoke as much as the BFG's. (4) As far as size that will be up too you .The Nitto 420S: a few south florida marauder owners have them and they ride nice and are not as hard as the NT555's. Their running the NT420S 285's on their rears, stock rims with no issues.

The 285 is obviously taller _and_ wider than the 255 correct? Sometimes I think more tire might equal less performance. That's a lot of rubber to move. Don't think I will go larger than 255/55-18 in the rear.

The 255/45-18 NT555 on the rears?? Any idea as to how that would that look compared to the stock 245/55-18?

If the NT 555's do just as good a job as the BFG's in the front 235/50-18, and wear longer as well, then spending the extra $ on BFG's seems pointless (although the Nitto's sound like they might ride harder...)

Tnx.

Norm
    Last edited by Svashtar; 08-29-2009 at 11:10 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Svashtar View Post
    The 285 is obviously taller _and_ wider than the 255 correct? Sometimes I think more tire might equal less performance. That's a lot of rubber to move. Don't think I will go larger than 255/55-18 in the rear.

The 255/45-18 NT555 on the rears?? Any idea as to how that would that look compared to the stock 245/55-18?

If the NT 555's do just as good a job as the BFG's in the front 235/50-18, and wear longer as well, then spending the extra $ on BFG's seems pointless (although the Nitto's sound like they might ride harder...)

Tnx.

Norm
    The NT 555 is a harder compound tire. The BFG's are a softer compound. Which makes for either a harder or softer ride. The 285 is taller and wider. Greggash & RoyLPita & a few others run the 285's with no issues. I believe Greg use's the NT 420's on the rear. Send a few pm's out to them for their input on that size.

I'm using Nitto 555's front and rear, 235/50 front and 265/50 rear, a touch wider than stock but nearly the exact same height.
    I LOVE Jerry's bar, it's my kinda place...........

When you are dead, you don’t know you are dead. It is difficult only for others. It is the same way when you are stupid.

"Chuck Norris built my stock longblock. It runs on the tears of small children and makes 10,000 hp. He said it's his 'street version' "

Trilogy # 192 / T.S. 0012

BOOST GETS YOU FELONY STOPPED!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spectragod View Post
    I'm using Nitto 555's front and rear, 235/50 front and 265/50 rear, a touch wider than stock but nearly the exact same height.
    Thanks for the info. I went to America's Tire here with the Nitto info, and in addition to the BFG KDW II's in 255/55-18 no longer being available they tell me that both the NT555's and NT420S's are being phased out soon.

That's an issue as I'm getting the tire replacement bit, so if one of them gets sidewalled I wouldn't be able to readily get a replacement.

Using these 555's all around looks like a good option though. I'm not wild about mixing brands or models on the car.

Those discontinued KDW II rears were only $136 each. The comparable Goodyears are $256 ea! Right now other than these Nittos you have, the only option I have is all 4 Continental UHD's or 4 of the Goodyear F1's which will run over a grand.

I appreciate the good feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectragod View Post
    Update: I ordered the Goodyear's F1 DS/G3's for the front and they are a beautiful tire, but with $34 per tire for the full tire repl. warranty that I like to get the set of 4 was going to run me almost $1100! I can't believe the old 255/55-18 KDW II's rears were only $130, while the Goodyear F1 rears by comparison were going to be about $220.

So I decided to cancel those and go with your exact setup on the Nitto 555 Extreme Performance, with the 265/50's in the rear. Doing the math, this will be 13/16" lower in the back than the 255/55-18's were, but just 3/16" lower than the OEM's. They will be nearly an inch wider though as you say.

The tire guy wasn't happy (he just lost $350!), so then he told me that the 555's are being discontinued, which I've also heard, so I'm making a bad decision. Maybe, but the reviews are fine. I paid $900 for the KDW II's with full tire repl., and the set of these NT555's will be $749, but he won't sell me the full tire repl. warranty as he says he couldn't guarantee a replacment.

Fine with me. In doing the math again, even if I destroy a tire with only 20% or so of it's usable life left, the prorated replacement will work out to just what the full tire repl. fee would cost me up front so I figure I'm even if that happens.

My only concern, is that all the reviews show the Goodyears are just the absolute ***** in the rain. They are great on the dry but amazing in the rain, while the Nittos are great on the dry but just so-so on wet pavement. For $350 I'll just have to slow down in the wet, but I think it's a good choice. Hopefully they won't ride too hard. The KDW II's were definitely smoother and softer than the OEM's, but a little harder won't bother me I don't think.

Thanks again for the info. I've been waiting nearly a week for them to come in, but hopefully can get them installed Tuesday.

Norm

Thread Information