Thread: Wind noise around front doors

Papabear Guest

Wind noise around front doors

Has anyone had a problem with excessive wind noise around the front doors? My Marauder has very loud wind noise at anything above 70MPH. My 2002 Crown Vic does not have this problem. I looked at all the seals and everything looks good any suggestions?

Long Live #3 Guest
    Then don't go 70 mph!

Papabear, I have the same problem. Took it to the dealer and they said that the noise was normal at highway speeds. I pointed out to them that all of the GM's and CV's I rent regularly when on the road don't have as much noise, but they had no suggestions as to how to fix the problem. It's really starting to bug me the longer I have the car.
    2003 MM 300A
    Born June 18, 2002
    Adopted Christmas Eve, 2002
    First Factory Rebuilt Ford P.O.S. Engine at 81,000 miles
    Second Factory Rebuilt Ford P.O.S. Engine at 101,000 miles
    Ford Racing 4.10's
    Reinhart/XCal2 Custom Tune
    Reinhart Underdrive Pulleys
    K&N Conical Air Filter
    Reinhart Exhaust with 18" Magnaflows
    Silencer Removed
    Bosch Micro Edge Excel Wiper Blades
    Bob White Red Bumper Inserts
    Lone Star Beer in cup holder
    Fellowship of Christian Cowboys
    license plate bracket

God and the soldier we adore, In times of danger, not before.
    The danger gone, the trouble righted, God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Cynicism is the smoke rising from the ashes of burned out dreams.

Hey Papabear,

I had the same problem, it went away rather suddenly. and I can't really figure it out.

It's one of 3 things:

1.) It stopped at 4001 miles on my MM. a part of break in maybe?

2.) I moved from Clarksville, TN to Dallas,.. sounds crazy. But, it seemed like as soon as I left TN and entered AR on I-24 it just stopped!

3.) After I got to Texas, I Armor All'ed every inch of the rubber trim, inside and out. The whistle I heard starting at about 72 mph hasn't returned.

Hope this helps!

Tom

My dealer adjusted the weather striping around door glass, problem resolved. Roll the window down just bit. perhaps one sixteenth of an inch. If noise goes away the diagnosis is window weather strip.

Regarding the wind noise, check to see whether the door is flush against the body of the car. There can be excessive space between the door and the body of the car. (If your finger tips can fit between the top of the door and the top of the body when the door is closed, then you have too much space). If this is the case, the dealer can adjust the door to fit more closely against the body. I just had the repair made earlier today. The repair took about two minutes. (The repair seemed to be an adjustment to the door hinge area). By the way, the repair did not include any adjustment or replacement of any weather stripping. The car should be quiet.

Papabear Guest
    Thanks for the ideas of what to check. I looked it over and door gaps are good. I tried putting the window down a little and that had no effect so I think it is a problem in the body to door seals. I may also check the mirror when I get home tonight. I had a F-150 that made a similar noise and it was the seal behind the mirror. I'll eventually track it down.

I had excessive wind noise. We replaced all the weather-stripping and ended up replacing the fixed glass on the drivers-side rear door. I do, however, feel there is a lot of noise that comes from the side mirrors at high speeds.

Silver_04 Guest
    Getting my weather strip around front passenger window replaced tomorrow for this problem. Otherwise, everything else is quite.

I have the same problem.
    2003 Mercury Marauder
    2007 Mercury Mariner Premier 4WD V6
    2008 Mercury Sable Premier
    2002 Mercury Sable LS (Sold)
    1998 Ford Contour Sport (Sold)
    1997 Mercury Cougar XR7 (Scrapped)
    1997 Mercury Villager Nautica (Sold)
    2003 Mazda Protege5 (Sold)

Should be quiet as a mouse f^rt.

Papabear,

Definitely have that looked at. In my MM at speed all you can hear is the smooth sound of the road very slightly. In fact, the loudest sound by far is the darned blower on the HVAC system. (I typically turn off the HVAC whenever possible for a little piece & quiet behind the wheel.)

Of course, that's assuming I don't have the stereo cranked loud enough the sub vibrates the mirrors. (Kinda like that T-Rex in Jurassic Park.)

PM me. We can take a "control" test ride in mine and then in yours to test ouf the sound levels.

Jeremy
    Mad1
    '03 Marauder bone stock
    Build No. 612,178 at St. Thomas plant
    -Tenn. Custom plate: MARAUDR
    - Bob White decals (chrome reflective)
    - Mac 'n Marty "Retro" Fender Badges
    - Autographed by Steve Babcock, Marauder Program Manager 09/20/2003 at First Marauder Meet, Ennis, Texas
    -2XL leather jacket

Silver_04 Guest
    Got my car back from the shop today with the passenger side window gasket replaced and the wind noise/whistle is gone from that area. However, quieting that area revealed a noise coming from the passenger mirror. Dealer took the mirror apart and found a wadded up gasket and insulation at the mirror base(which explains why I couldn't fold the mirror in). Dealer drove the car without the mirror and the car was perfectly quiet. So, I am now getting a new mirror assembly next week.

Thread Information