Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T-Bird questions

T-Bird questions

I am considering trading my Blackwood for a '03 T-bird. The Blackwood has 40K on the clock. The T-birds seem to be holding value much better than than the truck. Only 3200 Blackwoods were produced and the T-bird I am considering is only one of 117 produced in that color. The wife likes the bird and I really don't need 2 trucks. This will be a pleasure car only, not a DD. Any late model T-Bird owners out there?

Quote Originally Posted by MERCMAN View Post
    I am considering trading my Blackwood for a '03 T-bird. The Blackwood has 40K on the clock. The T-birds seem to be holding value much better than than the truck. Only 3200 Blackwoods were produced and the T-bird I am considering is only one of 117 produced in that color. The wife likes the bird and I really don't need 2 trucks. This will be a pleasure car only, not a DD. Any late model T-Bird owners out there?
    I have 2004 Platium Silver T-Bird....love the car!
    What do you want to know?
    "Best of Show"
    MARAUDERVILLE IV
    ORLANDO, FL
    11/11/06

Member #1031
    Brand New 2003 "Black over Black" 300B
    Conceived 2/25/03
    Born 3/21/03.. "7002 of 7838"
    Home 5/26/03 showing 19 miles!

TRILOGY (Eaton M-112) Supercharger #152
    ALTERNATIVE Automotive (Xcal-2) TUNE
    K&N AirCharger... Part No. 63-1111
    FLOWMASTER Super 40's with stock Megs tips
    FoMoCo OEM Rear Spoiler/Black Titanium SS inserts
    FORD GT Coil Covers (Ford Blue)
    FormulaONE Window Tint "Pinnacle Series-35"
    METCO DS/Loop

1972 Buick Skylark 350 Hardtop Sport Coupe
    Antique Gold with Dark Saddle Vinyl interior
    "Last of the original Muscle Cars" bought NEW(7/5/72)
    and still kickin' ass!

I don't own one but I have worked on several. They are nothing more than a convertible Lincoln LS(aka Lucifer's sedan) With all the same electrical and trans problems. The main electrical problem is RF interference across the module network from the coil's, coolant control valve, or the electronic parking brake module all of which are expensive. You can get anything from light's that do whatever they want or the parking brake setting itself. The trans will crack intermediate or overdrive bands and the servos due to the aluminum case being worn down from the steel servo's causing internal pressure loss. I warn everyone buy the PREMIUM FORD ESP or look at a different car. My 2 cents take it or leave it but you have been warned
    My garage
    http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...=view&id=10419

04/30/11
    1/8 mile 7.7430 at 89.24
    1/4 mile 12.16 at 110.66(calculated)

Quote Originally Posted by ntd View Post
    I don't own one but I have worked on several. They are nothing more than a convertible Lincoln LS(aka Lucifer's sedan) With all the same electrical and trans problems. The main electrical problem is RF interference across the module network from the coil's, coolant control valve, or the electronic parking brake module all of which are expensive. You can get anything from light's that do whatever they want or the parking brake setting itself. The trans will crack intermediate or overdrive bands and the servos due to the aluminum case being worn down from the steel servo's causing internal pressure loss. I warn everyone buy the PREMIUM FORD ESP or look at a different car. My 2 cents take it or leave it but you have been warned
    Mine runs great has 20K on it...never been in the shop or had any problems.
    Never been touched by the "nerds" at the dealer ship. And yes,
    I change my own oil. And, you can keep your ESP.. place it where the sun don't shine!

Gotta Love It!
    "Best of Show"
    MARAUDERVILLE IV
    ORLANDO, FL
    11/11/06

Member #1031
    Brand New 2003 "Black over Black" 300B
    Conceived 2/25/03
    Born 3/21/03.. "7002 of 7838"
    Home 5/26/03 showing 19 miles!

TRILOGY (Eaton M-112) Supercharger #152
    ALTERNATIVE Automotive (Xcal-2) TUNE
    K&N AirCharger... Part No. 63-1111
    FLOWMASTER Super 40's with stock Megs tips
    FoMoCo OEM Rear Spoiler/Black Titanium SS inserts
    FORD GT Coil Covers (Ford Blue)
    FormulaONE Window Tint "Pinnacle Series-35"
    METCO DS/Loop

1972 Buick Skylark 350 Hardtop Sport Coupe
    Antique Gold with Dark Saddle Vinyl interior
    "Last of the original Muscle Cars" bought NEW(7/5/72)
    and still kickin' ass!

Thanls for the input, I have to check and see if I can even fit in one. I am looking at an '04 with 7,000 miles on it

Quote Originally Posted by Merc-O-matic View Post
    Mine runs great has 20K on it...never been in the shop or had any problems.
    Never been touched by the "nerds" at the dealer ship. And yes,
    I change my own oil. And, you can keep your ESP.. place it where the sun don't shine!

Gotta Love It!
    Yours still has low miles give it time. I didn't call you names but I'm sure you'll be begging one of us dealer ship "nerds" to fix it when you have a problem and after you blow all your money at an aftermarket shop and then they say, " your going to have to take that to the dealership." Gotta Love It right?
    My garage

04/30/11
    1/8 mile 7.7430 at 89.24

Al gives his cars better care than anyone I know, so if a T-bird is destined for a clean service history, it would be his...
    '03 Marauder | '91 Country Squire | '18 Flex Ecoboost | '92 Shadow VT1100
    former Panthers: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 w/5-speed, '04 CVLX, '03 SAP P71, '10 P7B
    CLICK HERE and have your Marauder's COA info added to the database!!! | 2003 list ||| 2004 list
    Quote Originally Posted by offroadkarter View Post
    Reinhart's tuning skills were comparable to an ape slapping the keyboard in microsoft excel.

I have an LS. I love the car, but it does have some quirks. The T-Bird has the same motor and trans as far as I know. The 03 and later LS has a drive by wire throttle setup that leaves a lot to be desired. It is very slow to respond to the point that it makes it feel like a turbo with a lot of lag. The transmission shift schedule is also not the greatest. It is easily confused, and cannot pick a gear.

I know this all sounded bad, but I wanted a sporty RWD 4-door sedan as my daily driver and I do like the car in spite of the quirks. Good luck.
    2018 F-250 6.7L Crew Cab 4x4
    2013 Dodge Charge R/T Daily Driver/Beater - All original 208K miles and counting
    Sold - 04 Marauder, Silver, Dark Interior, Factory Sunroof.
    Z-Tune, JLT CAI, Z&M Control Arms, KYB Shocks, BC4E Dead Pedal, Pro Guard, Sparta Watts links, R1 Slotted Front Rotors, Braided SS Brake Lines, Automatic Traction Control "Turner-Offer".
    4.10 FRPP gears awaiting install (on extended hold).

Quote Originally Posted by Green96 View Post
    I have an LS. I love the car, but it does have some quirks. The T-Bird has the same motor and trans as far as I know. The 03 and later LS has a drive by wire throttle setup that leaves a lot to be desired. It is very slow to respond to the point that it makes it feel like a turbo with a lot of lag. The transmission shift schedule is also not the greatest. It is easily confused, and cannot pick a gear.

I know this all sounded bad, but I wanted a sporty RWD 4-door sedan as my daily driver and I do like the car in spite of the quirks. Good luck.
    I agree 100% I love the LS/T-Bird platform the handling is great, performance is good like all vehicles they have there problems. Keep in mind at the dealership I only see them when they are broken but these seem to have more problems than most and parts cost alot more. Shop wisely and check the service history, pm me the vin # and I can check Oasis
    My garage

04/30/11
    1/8 mile 7.7430 at 89.24

I've never encountered these nightmares with either LS's or T-Birds, infact I have a customer with an 03 LS-E with over 60k and it has been trouble free.
    FRPP dealer owner of SpartaPerformance.com
    We are an authorized independent AMSOIL dealer.

Paul's LSE has some transmission issues and something with the traction control that caused the light to come on. He had it serviced and they ended up cracking his rear bumper.

MERCURY MARAUDER 300A

Build Date
    5/31/02
    Sequence#
    #363 of 7839 Black Marauders
    Dyno tested power
    450 RWHP & 405 RWTQ on 93 octane
    Best 1/4 mile time to date
    12.456@109mph
    Visit my Garage
    Blackened300a's Garage

Dan, Marauderman got a 2005 for his wife.

Just in case, run an OASIS report for the one that you are looking into.
    (#6178 in black per FPIC)
    Call 1-800-FORD-788 and press "1". Have the last 6 of your VIN handy. You will get the numbers for FREE. You'll pay $$$ for the certificate.

MM traded in 8/9/13 @ 128909 miles. It was fun for almost 8 years. I met airmercpun on 1/17/14. He was the new owner of my former ride. -Now gone.

Update: back in the game with a late build 03 GMGS with some MM add ons like Escape audiophile radio w/Sirius sat radio, rear sway bar, catback exhaust, and header panel.

Rest In Peace:
    Alex "Marauderboi" Vachon 3/2/92-8/13/10
    Paula Babineau 1/9/67-8/2/11
    Rex Weinbender
    Peter

See my garage file for part numbers and whatnot.

IMHO, this site- the members that I chat with- and the ones that I now Hang with- are like my 2nd family. There is such an ongoing welcome feeling here that even members who don't or no longer own the MM can feel.

I always thought those T-Birds looked pretty good. Ill take a black one with a white top pleeze.

Actually, when they came out I went and looked at them; the seat didnt go back far enough for me so my head was hitting the roof or damn near looking out over the windshield when the top was off (I felt like Jaws in the James Bond movies). Nice cars though.
    Last edited by Vortex; 12-07-2009 at 07:54 AM.
    2005 Dodge 1500 Hemi Quadcab
    2020 Chevrolet Tahoe LS

Quote Originally Posted by RoyLPita View Post
    Dan, Marauderman got a 2005 for his wife.

Just in case, run an OASIS report for the one that you are looking into.
    +1 Check with Marauderman.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by MERCMAN View Post
    Thanls for the input, I have to check and see if I can even fit in one. I am looking at an '04 with 7,000 miles on it

I looked at one a while back, and this was an issue for me. IIRC, I wasn't real comfortable in it, tight fit.

2003 300B DBP
    Build date: 6/19/03
    Number 7,792 of 7,838 - 326 of 328
    Proud member of the MM "BLUES" Bros.
    Purchased: 11/10/05
    Eaton swap by ImpalaSlayer 11-09-10

Semper et in Aeternum, Mercurius.

In Memory:
    2004 DTR
    Build Date 01/27/04
    Purchased 04/04/04
    Wrecked 10/19/05, R.I.P.