Thread: Oem Limited-slip Differential Vs Traction-lock (traction-control)???

WJSOLOMON Guest

Lightbulb Oem Limited-slip Differential Vs Traction-Lock (Traction-Control)???

I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit that I do not really understand the difference between the OEM "Limited-Slip Differential", and the Optional "Traction-Lock", available as OEM on the Next Upgraded Model's Release Date, scheduled in late Fall.

I've placed an Order for a replacement Marauder, as soon as these next Fall Models can be delivered, for the Main purpose of getting the new "Traction-Lock" (i.e. "Traction Control"), for Severe Winter Driving here in Northern Indiana. Plus, I preferred an OEM Moon Roof, Heated Seats, and Lighter Leather Trim Panels.

Yet my Delivering Salesman swears that for better traction in Rain, Snow, or Ice, that the currently standard OEM "Limited-Slip" Rear Axle, is much more prefered. While I do not neccessarily dispute him, this reasoning seems to me, to defy Logic!

I've always relied on my other New Cars equipped with "Traction-Control" in Severe Winter Driving, because of the Computer-Enhanced Traction-Control. This fact probably also explains why it will become Standard OEM Equipment on the New Models to produced in November.

How about some insight into this issue?

Last edited by WJSOLOMON; 07-18-2002 at 09:40 PM.

Jim Guest
    Your salesguy is most likely smoking crack, or injecting some sort of hallucinogenic drugs. Could be licking toads, I'm not sure.

Anyhow, traction-lok differentials ensure that both of the driven wheels receive equal torque, so you don't just sit there spinning one wheel in less than optimal traction conditions. (That, in my case, is usually just a heavy foot!)

A traction control system will use the wheel speed sensors and ABS system to apply braking to individual wheels, as well as cut engine power to keep BOTH wheels from spinning.. If you love snow (which you must, for living somewhere like that!) then a traction control system is a good idea...

The times when it's not a great idea are as limited as the times when ABS is a less than optimal idea; heavy gravel, very fresh wet snow, rallye racing, ice racing...

In short, go for it, if you've got the scratch. If nothing else, I'll envy your sunroof.

-Jim

WJSOLOMON Guest

Lightbulb REAL AXLE REALITIES.........

Jim - Thanks for your timely input. I concur 100% with your reasoning!

This also clears up the question as to if I should add 4 ounces of "Additive Friction Modifier XL-3 (or equivalent meeting FOMOCO's Spec. EST-M2C118-1), as so advised by my Parts Manager, and directed by the Owner's Manual on Page #203, Paragraph 3, but for "TRACTION-LOK" Rear Axles, NOT the current standard equipment Limited-Slip Rear Axle.

:p :p

Jim Guest

Potato, potato...

Ah-ho!

Traction-lok is a kind of 'brand name' for the Ford limited slip rear end... I'm not completely 'down with' the modern Ford rear ends, but a Traction-lok rear end is a limited slip rear... That doesn't necessarily mean that a limited-slip rear is a Traction-lok, however.. (If Billy is taller than Sue, but shorter than Ann, is Ann bigger than a bread box?)

If your owners manual recommends a friction modifier, then I'd add it; but only when (if) the fluid is replaced; otherwise, it's already in there. The clutch packs in your diff will thank you.

-Jim

WJSOLOMON Guest

Re: Potato, potato...

Originally posted by Jim: "Ah-ho! "Traction-Lok" is a kind of 'brand name' for the Ford limited slip rear end... I'm not completely 'down with' the modern Ford rear ends, but a Traction-lok rear end is a limited slip rear... That doesn't necessarily mean that a limited-slip rear is a Traction-lok, however.. (If Billy is taller than Sue, but shorter than Ann, is Ann bigger than a bread box?) If your owners manual recommends a friction modifier, then I'd add it; but only when (if) the fluid is replaced; otherwise, it's already in there. The clutch packs in your diff will thank you." Jim

Yes I will add the 4 ounces for 'Friction Modifier' as our Owner's Manual recommends, but only for "TRACTION-LOK", which my current information indicates to me is NOT the current OEM "Limited-Slip" Differential, but rather the 'Soon-To-Be-Available' Positraction-Control on the November Second Series Releases.

Am I Right, or Wrong?

SOLO,

The rear ends will be the same in November, the "traction control" is not in the transaxle. It's in the ABS sensors.

Personally, having always lived in Wisconsin (Where we get alot more snow than most other states) I dislike ABS and would also not want traction control. I already know how to drive on snow.

I must say that I truly hope that some high quality snow/ice tires become available though. Tires would be alot more useful than traction control IMO. An acquantance of mine, stated that they probably wont have snows for us though.

Johnny

WJSOLOMON Guest

Question ARE THE CURRENT OEM REAR AXLES LIMITED-SLIP's, OR TRACTION-LOK's

If Traction- Control is actually in with the ABS, then am I to assume that the terms "LIMITED-SLIP" and "TRACTION-LOCK" are both being used to describe the current OEM Rear Axle, as opposed to the November Release Model that promises to have "Traction- Control" as Standard Equipment?

In the Maintenance Section of the Owner's Manual on Page #203, we are advised to add an additioanal 4 oz. of FOMOCO's "Additive Friction Modifier XL-3 to the 3.5 -3.75 pints of Rear Axle Lubricant, for use in the "TRACTION-LOK" Axles. Is that what our current OEM's actually are, and just commonly referred to by Both names?

"FRUSTRATED IN FISHERS!"

"Traction-lock" is synonymous with the term "Limited Slip". Same thing. Traction-lock is simply ford's trade name for their limited slip differential.

The Traction control system has nothing to do with the differential. It uses the ABS/wheel sensors to detect slip, loss of traction, and simply uses the brakes and cut engine power to control the loss of traction. With the limited slip rear, the traction control system will only interfere if both tires lose traction.

Friction modifier is indeed required for the current limited slip/traction-lock differentials in our cars... When Ford adds the traction control system, it'll still be the exact same rear axle and differential as the one currently in the car.

Hope this clears this up.
    Last edited by Logan; 07-19-2002 at 07:54 AM.

WJSOLOMON Guest

Thumbs up "LIMITED-SLIP" = "TRACTION-LOK" IN MARAUDERS

Thank you very much Logan, for helping to clear up this "Mystrey" for me. I think that the confusion for me came over the word "Traction........" used both to describe "Traction- Control", and "Traction-Lok".

Now I understand. This has been very helpful, as I was in the Dealer's Parts Department yesterday per-ordering the Full-Synthetic Lubricants for the Engine, Tranny, and Rear Axle, and had them reserve a bottle of the Additive Friction Modifyer, in case I needed to add the four ounces, when I change out the OEM Lubricants at 1,000 miles.

Last Question: On Page #203 of the Owner's Manual, we are instructed to use the "A. F. M. XL-3" to the Rear Axle when changing Oils, but then on Page #204, we are advised to add the "A. F. M. XL-2" for complete refills of the Traction-Lok rear axles.

What's all that about?

That seems like a misprint to me (It happens). Use XL-3.

Thread Information