Page 1 of 16 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: Massachusetts

I feel so helpless....

"Boston - His agenda at risk, President Barack Obama fought Sunday to save a struggling Democratic U.S. Senate candidate and the critical 60th vote needed for his health care plan. The White House and congressional Democrats scrambled to find a way to pass the bill quickly if Martha Coakley loses a special election Tuesday."

Now I'm a fence sitter,yup Independent so I tend to take some flack from my opinionated left and right friends...They tell me to chose sides...I do,The side I feel is doing the right thing for that particular law.Sorry if I don't understand the fulfilment of choosing your side and standing your ground for that side no matter what...I don't get it why is the biggest thing to ever be run thru this country hinging on 1 vote again??? and WHY are the "White House and congressional Democrats scrambled to find a way to pass the bill quickly"
    if the bill doesn't stand on its own shouldn't it be changed. This is not a 50 million dollar library or bridge we are talking about.....
    Originally Posted by LIGHTNIN1
    ... As for the rest of the Washigton crowd, I think we would be better off in the hands of the Somali Pirates.

2004 Black Mercury Marauder
    2057 of 3213
    K&N CAI
    Lidio 93 Octane Tune
    4.10 FRPP Gears
    MagnaFlow SS Mufflers and Tips
    Fuel Filter Upgrade Motorcraft FG800A or equivalent
    Ford part number N807055S hood squeak fix
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ASK FOR MOTORCRAFT OIL AND FILTER WHEN GETTING YOUR OIL CHANGED AT A FORD GARAGE <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Agreed. Nothing 'bout this is transparent like we were promised during someones campaign. Force people to buy health insurance. What's next? Flight insurance? Pet insurance? I could go on but political threads tend to have a short life span on here.

~But, it makes it a lot easier when he is manscaped.~ Haggis
    ~Cool, I can have one of those strangulation orgasms without the strangle.
    WIN WIN!~ Zack
    ~Who needs to stop? I just wanna gooooooooooo ~ -Matt-

I thought of that after I posted....I forgot the no politic rule heh...I bet Bunny got a google alert on her phone just now....I'm dead...dead I tell you.
    ... As for the rest of the Washigton crowd, I think we would be better off in the hands of the Somali Pirates.

2057 of 3213
    K&N CAI
    Lidio 93 Octane Tune
    4.10 FRPP Gears
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ASK FOR MOTORCRAFT OIL AND FILTER WHEN GETTING YOUR OIL CHANGED AT A FORD GARAGE <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Rest assured that whenever either party is rushing to pass important legislation...it is because it is BAD legislation.
    They don't want to afford anyone, namely the voters, the opportunity to carefully review the new law*....
    then have us realize what a pile of crap it is!

*filled with pork belly projects of course!

If they could figure out a way to do it, the Democrats would open up Teddy's casket and prop up his arm during the Healthcare vote, so he can count as a 'Yea'.
    Last edited by Joe Walsh; 01-18-2010 at 02:44 PM.
    2020 Ford Ranger STX DFI Turbo 2.3L 10 speed Auto
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)
    1984 Mustang GT 2.3 Turbo Convertible FI. 5 speed manual
    1966 427 Cobra (ERA) 468 all Aluminum FE 2x4bbl 5 speed manual

SOLD : 2003 Mercury Marauder FI. 4 speed Auto
    w/Crower Cams & Springs, +1mm SS valves, mild port job on the cylinder heads.
    Extrude honed intake w/PHP spacer.
    Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    SVO Rearend Girdle, Redline Gear lube; OEM 3.55s
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge
    Built: 10/15/02 Bought: 12/16/02 Sold: 10/15/18

Quote Originally Posted by bob6364 View Post
    I thought of that after I posted....I forgot the no politic rule heh...I bet Bunny got a google alert on her phone just now....I'm dead...dead I tell you.
    LMAO! I said they tend to have a short life span, but they do have a life span. Usually what happens is someone goes bonkers on another persons post, verbal spats ensue, thread gets locked. It seems to hinge on how civil it stays, but it's been a while, my memory is fuzzy on it.

WIN WIN!~ Zack

But the Patiot act is so darn good for us, oh and the really really fast launch of the not so completely tested H1N1 shot. It's all REALLY good! Just vote on it! We can't wait, it must be now. Now.
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

I think even all the hidden costs the patriot act came with pale in compare to this monster...and don't even get me started on the H1N1 vaccine...I'm building a house for a registered nurse with over 30 years in the field and she hasn't gotton hers.

2057 of 3213
    K&N CAI
    Lidio 93 Octane Tune
    4.10 FRPP Gears

This being a national holiday lets celebrate with a good political thread. Congress forcing us to buy healthcare, toilet paper, or potted meat is simply unconstitutional but I have no faith that the Supreme Court would stand up for the Constitution.

and so people really can see i'm independent if i thought I could scream hatred at that pinhead that just left office who let the oil companies rob us blind and turned a deaf ear I would....

2057 of 3213
    K&N CAI
    Lidio 93 Octane Tune
    4.10 FRPP Gears

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Walsh View Post
    Rest assured that whenever either party is rushing to pass important legislation...it is because it is BAD legislation.
    They don't want to afford anyone, namely the voters, the opportunity to carefully review the new law*....
    then have us realize what a pile of crap it is!

*filled with pork belly projects of course!

If they could figure out a way to do it, the Democrats would open up Teddy's casket and prop up his arm during the Healthcare vote, so he can count as a 'Yea'.
    "IT"S TIME TO CLEAN HOUSE"

Quote Originally Posted by bob6364 View Post
    and so people really can see i'm independent if i thought I could scream hatred at that pinhead that just left office who let the oil companies rob us blind and turned a deaf ear I would....
    I hate both sides, because I hate liars.

WIN WIN!~ Zack

Quote Originally Posted by CBT View Post
    Agreed. Nothing 'bout this is transparent like we were promised during someones campaign. Force people to buy health insurance. What's next? Flight insurance? Pet insurance? I could go on but political threads tend to have a short life span on here.
    The funny part, they think the public is stupid enough to think it's cheaper to pay $8K+ for insurance than $1700 for a penalty...

Quote Originally Posted by LIGHTNIN1 View Post
    This being a national holiday lets celebrate with a good political thread. Congress forcing us to buy healthcare, toilet paper, or potted meat is simply unconstitutional but I have no faith that the Supreme Court would stand up for the Constitution.
    Agreed.
    Thanks to Darrin @ BC Automotive:
    $1800 and it was worse than when he started!

Brian (FordNut) FPG # 1458 of 7838
    03 MM 300A (Lotsa mods, 130k mi) was 303rwhp/318rwtq N/A
    then 476/410 D1SC ProCharged on stock block
    then 660/555 D1SC PC on 5.3 wet sleeved Teksid alum big bore stroker
    then 365/369 N/A on 5.3 wet sleeved Teksid alum big bore stroker
    Now 751/617 3.4L Whipple on 5.3 Boss5.0 iron big bore stroker

03 MM 300B Silver (Mostly stock, originally wife's car, 370k mi) FPG # 7053 of 7838 or 49 of 417 SB
    03 MM 300B Silver, Stock, wife's next one, 136k mi FPG # 7134 of 7838 or 89 of 417 SB
    04 MM Silver, Stock, on standby 85k mi, FPG # 1212 of 3214 or 432 of 997 SB
    01 F150 longbed
    01 F150 shortbed
    00 F150 4x4 stepside
    01 F150 4x4 7700
    68 Stang FB (70 351C 4V, 4 wheel discs, project car)

Mods listed here (some items not current): FordNut's Mods

I've been told from some of my friends that have bothered reading into this even in the slightest that to even qualify for public health care benefits, you must have no greater than $30K of income annually. Can anyone confirm this from what they've heard as well?

MARRIED COUPLES PAY MORE THAN UNMARRIED UNDER HEALTH BILL

Some married couples would pay thousands of dollars more for the same health insurance coverage as unmarried people living together, under the health insurance overhaul plan pending in Congress, says the Wall Street Journal.
    The built-in "marriage penalty" in both House and Senate health care bills has received scant attention. But for scores of low-income and middle-income couples, it could mean a hike of $2,000 or more in annual insurance premiums the moment they say "I do."
    • The disparity comes about in part because subsidies for purchasing health insurance under the plan from congressional Democrats are pegged to federal poverty guidelines.
    • That has the effect of limiting subsidies for married couples with a combined income, compared to if the individuals are single.
    • People who get their health insurance through an employer wouldn't be affected.
    • Only people that buy subsidized insurance through new exchanges set up by the legislation stand to be impacted.
    • About 17 million people would receive such subsidies in 2016 under the House plan, the Congressional Budget Office estimates.
    The bills cap the annual amount people making less than 400 percent of the federal poverty level must pay for health insurance premiums, ranging from 1.5 percent of income for the poorest to 11 percent at the top end, under the House plan:
    • For an unmarried couple with income of $25,000 each, combined premiums would be capped at $3,076 per year, under the House bill.
    • If the couple gets married, with a combined income of $50,000, their annual premium cap jumps to $5,160 -- a "penalty" of $2,084.
    The disparity is slightly smaller in the Senate version of health care legislation, chiefly because premium subsidies in the House bill are more targeted towards low-wage earners, says the Journal:
    • Under the Senate bill, a couple with $50,000 in combined income would pay $3,450 in annual premiums if unmarried, and $5,100 if married -- a difference of $1,650.
    • Republicans say the effect on married couples whose combined income makes them ineligible for subsidies is even greater -- up to $5,000 or more -- but that is more difficult to measure because it includes assumptions about the price of insurance policies.
    Source: Martin Vaughan, "Married Couples Pay More Than Unmarried Under Health Bill," Wall Street Journal, January 6, 2010.
    For text:
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB126281943134818675.html

WIN WIN!~ Zack

Press Pool, C-SPAN Join Criticism of Conference Process on Health-Care

Yesterday, several outlets reported that the Democrats would "almost certainly" forgo the official conference process to get a health-care bill passed, opting instead to negotiate largely behind closed doors. Many reform proponents painted this as a valiant move on the part of Democrats to protect the American people from the procedural stalling tactics of Republicans:

Now that both the House and Senate have passed health care reform bills, all Democrats have to do is work out a compromise between the two versions. And it appears they’re not about to let the Republicans gum up the works again.
    The problem for health-care reform proponents, though, is that it isn't just Tea Party activists and the GOP who are complaining about the opaque nature of the process now, and Obama himself promised to have negotiations aired on C-SPAN during a debate in January of 2008. Chances are he could have talked himself out of this contradiction a year ago, smoothing things over with an "I've consistently said" or two, but no longer.

Rick Klein of ABC's The Note, this morning:
    "We can all have a laugh at how ridic it was to expect hcare talks to be on C-SPAN, but it was a promise that's been shattered."
    When a liberal replied, on Twitter, that she'd seen hours of discussion of health-care on the floor, he answered: "that's great but the pledge went far beyond cmte & floor debate to talks where things actually got hashed out. that wasn't on TV."

C-SPAN's president Brian Lamb has also joined the mix, sending a letter asking for the negotiations to be televised:

“As your respective chambers work to reconcile the differences between the House and Senate health care bills, C-SPAN requests that you open all your negotiations, including any conference committee meetings, to electronic media coverage.”
    The link to the full letter is here.

This weekend, ABC's Jake Tapper gave Robert Gibbs a chance to make good on Obama's campaign promise, but Gibbs declined with his characteristic soft touch:

"Well, Jake, first of all, let's take a step back and understand that this is a process legislatively that has played out over the course of nine months. There have been a countless number of public hearings. The Senate did a lot of their voting at 1:00 and 2:00 in the morning on C-SPAN. A lot of this debate -- I think what the president promised and pledged was so that you could see who was fighting for their constituents and who was fighting for drug and insurance companies…"
    "Well, but the bill gets put together on the floor of the Senate," Gibbs said. "That's where the bill got augmented. And I think if you watched that debate -- I don't know -- I wasn't up at 1:00 or 2:00 in the morning for a lot of those votes, but I think if the American public had watched -- has watched the committee process play out in both the House and the Senate, watched the process play out on both the floor and the -- the floor of the House and the floor of the Senate, you'd have seen quite a bit of public hearing and public airing, and I think quite frankly, people have a pretty good sense of who is battling on behalf of thousands of lobbyists that are trying to protect drugs profits and insurance profits, and who's fighting on behalf of middle-class Americans hoping once and for all to have access to affordable insurance and removing insurance company restrictions like discriminating against people that are sick."
    Note to Gibbs: When you're stressing the openness of the Senate process, it's best not to mention that votes took place at 1 and 2 a.m. on weekends, when you weren't even awake.
    Politifact calls this promise officially broken.
    For a bill that's faced a thousand p.r. obstacles in its legislative marathon, the coalescing conventional wisdom suggests this last effort to get it over the finish line may shape up to be another obstacle itself. And even if it works, which it very well may, the president will have to chalk up another chunk of political capital and another huge chink in his reputation as an honest, change agent.

Update:
    Oops, probably not the best day for David Plouffe to send out an e-mail to Obama supporters about how 2010 will be a year to "improve transparency in Washington to elevate the voices of the American people."

Posted by Mary Katharine Ham on January 5, 2010 09:30 AM | Permalink

WIN WIN!~ Zack

Page 1 of 16 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread Information