Thread: Spark Plug Change

Smile Spark Plug Change

My car developed a high rpm misfire a month or more back so today I decided to look into it. I found one of the plugs seemed to be running leaner and the electrode tip was worn more than the other seven.

I then noted that this errant plug was not a Motorcraft AGSF-22C (SP-505) but a AGSF-32WM. I always change all eight plugs together, somehow this one slipped by me.

The -22C is back order. Neither Ford dealerships here had them nor do they regularly stock them. ABC Auto Parts (local) had to order them from their warehouse in Longview, Texas. Should be here tomorrow AM. Advance auto parts here doesn't stock them either.

The interesting thing is that ABC will not restock once their inventory of 22C plugs is exhausted. They have ninety five left. I bought an extra set for insurance. This doesn't mean that Motorcraft will not make them, but that my local outlets are drying up.

Regards,

Pat, I'm diffused...I thought the -22C number was superceded a long time ago...are you saying you found a stash of that number plug or that they aren't making the SP-505 (newer number) version anymore?
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

RF Overlord:

The two part numbers show up together on the parts store computer screen. The SP505 is the current active number and that's what the invoice prints out. But some packages have AGSF-22C printed on them. Prolly old stock. Regardless either number will cross reference and should get you the right part.

I have seen the 22c AND the sp505 printed on the same boxs during transition. Pat, I had the same issue as you. With 17,000 or so miles, it turned out to be the gap had opened up to .039-.041 on all of them. I decided to take the cheaper route this time and try the Autolite 103's. MY GOD what a difference! Almost like bolting on another blower! The old ones didn't even look all that bad? Spark blowout no doupt though.
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Correction. When I picked up the new plugs this AM I asked an older hand at the counter about the restock. He assured me that ABC will continue to stock SP505 until Motorcraft quits making them.

The first young man that I talked too didn't realize that there is a "safety" limit that will trigger a reorder.

That's good to know.

Thread Information