Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AC not blowing through vents

AC not blowing through vents

Hi all,

I've noticed its been getting warm in the car. I felt by the windshield and even though everything was off, its still warm air leaking out of the defrost slits on the dashboard.

So today, its actually kind of warm here so I had to turn the A/C on. Well, its not blowing out of the vents but instead its blowing out of the defrost slits on the dashboard even at full blast. I figure its a blend door vacuum motor or something gone bad.

Is it an easy fix? I'd like to avoid paying the mechanic labor fees and do the fix myself if its possible and within my mechanical skills.

Thanks,

Sounds like you might need your EATC fixed. Send it to me & I'll fix it for you.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

If it's on Auto the car decides where to send the air. How it knows where to send it

I have rebuilt a/c control heads for a price plus core. PM me if interested.
    (#6178 in black per FPIC)
    Call 1-800-FORD-788 and press "1". Have the last 6 of your VIN handy. You will get the numbers for FREE. You'll pay $$$ for the certificate.

MM traded in 8/9/13 @ 128909 miles. It was fun for almost 8 years. I met airmercpun on 1/17/14. He was the new owner of my former ride. -Now gone.

Update: back in the game with a late build 03 GMGS with some MM add ons like Escape audiophile radio w/Sirius sat radio, rear sway bar, catback exhaust, and header panel.

Rest In Peace:
    Alex "Marauderboi" Vachon 3/2/92-8/13/10
    Paula Babineau 1/9/67-8/2/11
    Rex Weinbender
    Peter

See my garage file for part numbers and whatnot.

IMHO, this site- the members that I chat with- and the ones that I now Hang with- are like my 2nd family. There is such an ongoing welcome feeling here that even members who don't or no longer own the MM can feel.

can be caused by a vacuum leak...

Happened to me late last fall, when I needed A/C on a warm day, yet nothing worked properly. Defrost-vent flow is the default when the EATC takes a dump. You don't realize how vital the EATC is until it doesn't work!

You probably need new O-rings installed, and you many need a complete EATC overhaul. Do yourself a big favor and take up fastblackmerc on his generous offer.

OK. I think I'll look in my shop manual first and see if I can even handle removing the old EATC, thus if I could install it again. I'm not a mechanic but I dabble in some of my own things like oil changes, etc.

If I have to take it in to a shop, then I'd probably just have them replace it. They seem to not like when I bring in my own parts.

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by 88LTDCV351 View Post
    OK. I think I'll look in my shop manual first and see if I can even handle removing the old EATC, thus if I could install it again. I'm not a mechanic but I dabble in some of my own things like oil changes, etc.

If I have to take it in to a shop, then I'd probably just have them replace it. They seem to not like when I bring in my own parts.

Thanks,
    Search, fixed my EATC. There is a great write-up on fixing it. Many people have repaired theirs and it isn't that hard. PM me if you need "o" rings.
    Semper fi

"Those that refuse to learn from history are doomed to repeat it."

88LTDCV351, if you bring it to the dealer, they WILL charge you in the vicinity of $700, as they WON'T repair the unit, they'll just replace it and the cost is outrageous. If you know which end of a screwdriver to hold, you can do this job yourself and save approx $690. The o-rings are like 5 bucks plus the price of the micro-brew you buy to congratulate yourself when the job is done.
    Last edited by RF Overlord; 02-19-2010 at 05:01 PM.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Thanks guys. I found the the links to the past post helpful. First, I'm going to run the self test first on the EATC to see what codes I get (off and floor button similtaneously and then the automatic button).
    I did try to take the finish panel off and couldn't get a good grip. I don't want to scratch or mess anything up. How is everyone else taking it off? Just jam something under a corner for leverage like the claw on my hammer? I want to get to the EATC so I can see if I can remove it so I can take up some offers here to fix it versus the stealership or mechanic prices.

Thanks,

If you do end up taking it in for repair, makes sure and keep the old EATC unit.
    Thanks to Darrin @ BC Automotive:
    $1800 and it was worse than when he started!

Brian (FordNut) FPG # 1458 of 7838
    03 MM 300A (Lotsa mods, 130k mi) was 303rwhp/318rwtq N/A
    then 476/410 D1SC ProCharged on stock block
    then 660/555 D1SC PC on 5.3 wet sleeved Teksid alum big bore stroker
    then 365/369 N/A on 5.3 wet sleeved Teksid alum big bore stroker
    Now 751/617 3.4L Whipple on 5.3 Boss5.0 iron big bore stroker

03 MM 300B Silver (Mostly stock, originally wife's car, 370k mi) FPG # 7053 of 7838 or 49 of 417 SB
    03 MM 300B Silver, Stock, wife's next one, 136k mi FPG # 7134 of 7838 or 89 of 417 SB
    04 MM Silver, Stock, on standby 85k mi, FPG # 1212 of 3214 or 432 of 997 SB
    01 F150 longbed
    01 F150 shortbed
    00 F150 4x4 stepside
    01 F150 4x4 7700
    68 Stang FB (70 351C 4V, 4 wheel discs, project car)

Mods listed here (some items not current): FordNut's Mods

Quote Originally Posted by 88LTDCV351 View Post
    Thanks guys. I found the the links to the past post helpful. First, I'm going to run the self test first on the EATC to see what codes I get (off and floor button similtaneously and then the automatic button).
    I did try to take the finish panel off and couldn't get a good grip. I don't want to scratch or mess anything up. How is everyone else taking it off? Just jam something under a corner for leverage like the claw on my hammer? I want to get to the EATC so I can see if I can remove it so I can take up some offers here to fix it versus the stealership or mechanic prices.

Thanks,
    Start removing the trim panel from the right hand side.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Ok, I'll try loosening it from the right hand side this time.

I tried the self test but it only read 888. I think that is the temp sensor.

But it was a bit chilly this morning as it has been. The shop manual says it has to be within a certain temp range to do the test or else it will give a false code of temp sensor. It was 55 degrees so it should have been warm enough.

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    Start removing the trim panel from the right hand side.
    Open the front passenger door. Grab the trim panel on the right end where it wraps around the end of the dash. Pull.........it wll pop the clips one at a time as you work to the left toward the A/C controls. It's all one piece all the way over to the right side of the steering column. Clock (if equiped) and Rear Defrost switch will come with. 4 screws holding EATC panel will be exposed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information