Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SS inserts installation

scherermaddness Guest

Question SS inserts installation

I just ordered a set of SS inserts! can anyone reccomend any suggestions for installation that perhaps standard instructions do not cover? anything I need to watch out for? did you all do anything wrong the first time... I don't want to mess up my shiny new inserts!

nothing hard...the primer will run down on your bumper...just wipe off bumper with towel...they even center up well...they stick well and no surprises for my install...good luck
    ---------------------------------------
    2003 Marauder BLACK
    SS inserts
    Addco sway bars
    JLT CAI
    4.10's
    MO's custom tune
    275 rwhp/303 lbs. torque

Ted Friedrich Guest
    I installed my SS Inserts on my MM in about high 60 degree weather after cleaning the bumper real good with a cleanser and then dosing the area with alcohol. The I let that dry and they went on fine. My wife's impression "That's Cool!" I had no problems and they are still there. No one has tried to mess with them yet.

What if we already have Bob White inserts and wanted to go with SS? Would we first have to remove the Bob White's? If so, how? Those things stick really well. Plus they give me 5 extra HP!
    2003 MM 300A
    Born June 18, 2002
    Adopted Christmas Eve, 2002
    First Factory Rebuilt Ford P.O.S. Engine at 81,000 miles
    Second Factory Rebuilt Ford P.O.S. Engine at 101,000 miles
    Ford Racing 4.10's
    Reinhart/XCal2 Custom Tune
    Reinhart Underdrive Pulleys
    K&N Conical Air Filter
    Reinhart Exhaust with 18" Magnaflows
    Silencer Removed
    Bosch Micro Edge Excel Wiper Blades
    Bob White Red Bumper Inserts
    Lone Star Beer in cup holder
    Fellowship of Christian Cowboys
    license plate bracket

God and the soldier we adore, In times of danger, not before.
    The danger gone, the trouble righted, God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Cynicism is the smoke rising from the ashes of burned out dreams.

Welcome Ted. I've seen your posts on the other MM site. You'll find this site to be much more informative.

I belive that I read they should be applied in approximately 70 degree weather to affix properly.
    DOK

2011 Jaguar XJL

2000 Mustang Convertible
    Performance Red
    Roush Package

Ted, I installed mine last weekend in 60 degree weather. No problem and they seem to stick really well. If you're colder than this, you might warm the area with a hair dryer...not too close to the bumper. Make sure the area is clean.

Bob

383 4-speed w air grabber

The only problem that I had was that the primer packet (w/ towlette) ruptured during shipping. I substituted it with q-tips and some isopropyl alchohol. No problems with adhesion to date.
    2003 Marauder: 300B
    • Trilogy S/C #003
    • MMX Drive Shaft
    • AWSF-22C Plugs
    • 180 TStat
    • 12.745@108.65
    • SSInserts
    • 4.10 Gears
    • Nitto NT555R's (305/45R18)

Originally posted by Nathan
    The only problem that I had was that the primer packet (w/ towlette) ruptured during shipping. I substituted it with q-tips and some isopropyl alchohol. No problems with adhesion to date.
    I had the same problem. I just made sure that the area was extra clean and I can tell you that the inserts are stuck on solid.

BOb

383 4-speed w air grabber

Ted - Welcome aboard. You definitely came to the right site for the Marauder. This site is very addicting. Enjoy your new ride.
    2003 Marauder 300B,
    6468 out of 7839 - Thanks Brian
    Heated Seats
    35% Tint
    Mercury All Weather Mats
    Trunk Organizer - Thanks MartyO
    Sold 4/3/2009 Now resides in AL.
    1961 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible
    1973 Oldsmobile Toronado
    2012 Kia Sedona Van
    2008 Corvette Convertible
    2003 Marauder 300 A Thanks Larry O 6/14/17
    2021 Prius Prime Limited
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado High Country
    Member # 440
    ----- John

jbr927 Guest

Mine are waiting for a warm/sunny day...

I ordered my inserts in Jan. and they've been sitting ever since. Between the very cold temps and the fact that the MM is a salt lick most of the time! I'm waiting 'till I can get her washed up and stay that way for more than the 2 minutes I'm @ the car wash

Anyway, I worked as a buyer/planner for a screenprinting company awhile back and we always told customers that were ordering adh. back items to clean well and bring surface temp up to 70. We would provide a temporary adh. backed thermometer so they would be able to see the surface temp - you can use the "vicks" kids therm. for that just as well, but I would use a little masking tape, not the adhes. on the back. It's very gooey!!

So hopefully I can put mine in here soon. It's beautiful today, maybe I can get them put on a little sooner.

Jacki

Quote Originally Posted by jbr927
    I ordered my inserts in Jan. and they've been sitting ever since. Between the very cold temps and the fact that the MM is a salt lick most of the time! I'm waiting 'till I can get her washed up and stay that way for more than the 2 minutes I'm @ the car wash

Anyway, I worked as a buyer/planner for a screenprinting company awhile back and we always told customers that were ordering adh. back items to clean well and bring surface temp up to 70. We would provide a temporary adh. backed thermometer so they would be able to see the surface temp - you can use the "vicks" kids therm. for that just as well, but I would use a little masking tape, not the adhes. on the back. It's very gooey!!

So hopefully I can put mine in here soon. It's beautiful today, maybe I can get them put on a little sooner.

Jacki
    you will definitely be pleased!
    2003 Mercury Marauder
    300A Black/DCharcoal
    Reinhart Stage I w/SCT Custom Tuner & 4:30's (install in progress!)
    FlowMaster Deltaflow 40's; K & N Filter
    McGard Wheel Locks; SS Inserts
    Smoked rear Liscense Plate; No front LP Bracket.
    Born: 10.08.02; Dlvrd From Windy City
    Adopted 8.10.03 12:15 AM
    Goals: Stage II, III . . .

LL 1969 AMX - 390, Doug's Headers, Al Edolbrock Highrise, Shelby Cam/Kit, Crager, ET Bars, Accel, Holley Dual Line 780, Hurst, SW gages, cus clutch, T10. elect fuel pump, 11" RT's.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross
    What if we already have Bob White inserts and wanted to go with SS? Would we first have to remove the Bob White's? If so, how? Those things stick really well. Plus they give me 5 extra HP!
    Hopefully we'll get an answer to this as I was thinking the same thing.

Do we need to remove the Bob White's first? If so, what's the best method?

Bob, USNavy Retired
    2010 Taurus SHO Red Candy Metallic
    402A, 5% tint, Valentine 1, Laser Blaster,
    Livernois Stage 2tune, Airaid CAI
    Corsa cat-back, Lower molding stripe
    Born 10/27/09, came home 2/20/10

'03 MM 300A Gone, but not forgotten!
    Born 9/25/02, went home 11/04/02, passed on 3/21/06, Mileage: 100K

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...'Wow! What a ride!" (Unknown source)

Quote Originally Posted by Murader03
    Hopefully we'll get an answer to this as I was thinking the same thing.

Do we need to remove the Bob White's first? If so, what's the best method?
    I had my Bob White decals removed at dealer to paint bumper and they tried just pulling off, does not work. You need an adhesive remover to soften up for about 30 minutes (like goo-off). I believe it would be best to install on paint instead of existing decals.

In regards to the primer and towelette that other members mentioned in regards to SS inserts, I bought them and there is no primer or towelette, the instructions say remove backing from 3M adhesive and stick on. I am confused there.
    Smokie
    12.79 @ 107 mph.
    60' 1.851 Street tires & Stock wheels.
    TIMESLIPS
    Performance Mods: Base Trilogy Kit, Exhaust, PHP Airbox.
    Visit my Garage
    Florida "The Supercharged State"

Quote Originally Posted by Smokie
    In regards to the primer and towelette that other members mentioned in regards to SS inserts, I bought them and there is no primer or towelette, the instructions say remove backing from 3M adhesive and stick on. I am confused there.
    Javier: I think I was one of the first one's to get these (about a year ago) and mine didn't come with the primer/towlette either. I cleaned the bumper well, apllied the letters (okay so my g/f did because she has steadier hands) and let set for 24 hours. They have held on through many a washing and many a 1/4 mile passes. No worries.

Quote Originally Posted by martyo
    Javier: I think I was one of the first one's to get these (about a year ago) and mine didn't come with the primer/towlette either. I cleaned the bumper well, apllied the letters (okay so my g/f did because she has steadier hands) and let set for 24 hours. They have held on through many a washing and many a 1/4 mile passes. No worries.
    Thanks Marty, waiting to get my baby back and put them on.
    Smokie
    12.79 @ 107 mph.
    60' 1.851 Street tires & Stock wheels.
    TIMESLIPS
    Performance Mods: Base Trilogy Kit, Exhaust, PHP Airbox.
    Visit my Garage
    Florida "The Supercharged State"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information