Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter Snow tires, I found what fits!

Winter Snow tires, I found what fits!

Well, after my long quest for winter snow tires that will work properly on my car, i finally found them.
    First off, if i were to get 18" winter tires. Im looking at $250 a tire!!!!!! Definatly not what im looking for. As far as steel wheels, most places couldnt even find the marauder for a part number that would fit, because stock is 18", they had nothing smaller.
    Finally i go to town fair tire, they did about a half hour of research while i was there. They found that the 2003+ Crown Vic Police Interceptor rims are the only "smaller" winter wheel that will fit our cars. So i ended up getting 4 CVPI wheels, and 4 Toyo Observe Garrit HT high performace winter tires 225/60/16 for about $730 out the door. The tires were about $95 each while the wheels were about $60 each.
    I hope this info will help out others in their quest to get winter tires on their cars!!
    Frank

Hey,

I'm from the same state as you. It's good to see another CT guy on here. There's only one other guy besides the both of us that I know about who's from CT on this board.
    Anyway, I bought that Winter tire and wheel package from that online place that it described in that thread started by MM2003 in the "News/Announcements" forum. I thought about going w/the 2003 CV P.I wheels like you have until I saw them. Not my cup of tea. I like the former style CV intercepter wheels, but they've obviously changed them this year. But I'm not trying to challenge you by stating that. To each his own I guess.
    But what I do want to point out is that it's my uinderstanding that if you go w/the same tire profile size on the front and back, your ABS light will come on. I've been told by other members of this board that you have to stay w/the same front/back tire profile size ratio(or close to it) as the Marauder came w/stock in order to avoid an ABS problem. But I'm going by what others on this board have stated. You might want to ask around about that before you put those tires on your car cuz you might need to get a refund from Town fair tire. Perhaps the salesman who helped you didn't do his homework. I hope this helps you.
    Last edited by BillyGman; 11-16-2003 at 02:29 AM.

Could someone post a picture of the 2003 CVPI wheels that ultravorx was describing? Thanks.

2003 Mercury Marauder 300B, matte-black, S55 taillights.
    B&M transmission/Precision Industries TC; Eibach-lowered; Addco rear anti-sway; Metco rear control arms; Steeda UDP; 180° 'stat.

You couldve saved nearly $200 and gotten properly sized tires with a bit better deep snow handling by going with Artic Alpins.

Your salesman just sold you a super expensive Crown Vic spec snow set. NOT a Marauder spec.

There's actually a whole array of possible wheels you could use, but why use anything other than cheapo non-Ford steelies for snow use?

Johnny
    - SCT ala DR. Yippee!!

I'll try to get a pic of the wheels up tonight. As far a getting cheapo steel wheels, no one has any that would work. Standard 16" wheels wont fit cause of the rotor clearance issue. As far as my ABS light, i havent had a single problem. I dont have traction control either, so it doesnt affect that. But i did try some hard braking last night and the brakes worked just fine! Unless i run into any issue, im "sold" that i was given the right set of rims. Plus, everyone who saw the wheels on my car last night said it gave the Marauder a meaner look to it
    Frank

Originally posted by tetsu
    There's actually a whole array of possible wheels you could use . . .
    There are? I haven't found ANY wheels with the proper offset, etc., in either 17" or 18" sizes. I'm looking for all options here. Thanks.

2003 Mercury Marauder 300B, matte-black, S55 taillights.
    B&M transmission/Precision Industries TC; Eibach-lowered; Addco rear anti-sway; Metco rear control arms; Steeda UDP; 180° 'stat.

For steelies the CV/GM 16" steelies from Tirerack work perfectly.

Saves money, speedo still works, no strain on abs and the AAs are better in deeper snow.

But, the important thing is that you're happy with your purchase.

One thing, hard braking on your brand new snow tires on dry pavement is a rockin bad idea unless you like replacing themevery year.

The big reason I was pointing all this out is that some new owner may find your thread first and think that what you got is optimum which it isn't necessarily, before they find one of the other researched winter tire threads.

I guarantee if you go to a tire place they will always find some tires to sell you. If you go by their reckoning, you'll seldom get the best tires and never the best deal.

Johnny
    Last edited by tetsu; 11-16-2003 at 09:11 AM.
    - SCT ala DR. Yippee!!

DetGeno Guest
    I'll second tetsu!!!

Originally posted by tetsu
    I guarantee if you go to a tire place they will always find some tires to sell you. If you go by their reckoning, you'll seldom get the best tires and never the best deal.

Johnny
    ....a very accurate statement. Most salesmen aren't going to be willing to admit that they do not have what you should purchase, but they're more likely to attempt to sell you simply what they have, or what they can get quickly.

Snow tires

Just put my winter tires on my Crown Vic (I know...not the same size or offeset as the Marauder). I have 16" factory steel wheels as well and just replaced my Goodyear Ultragrips with some Toyo Garit HT's in a 225/60R16 size. They are uni-directional, and H-speed rated tires.

I got an unbelievable deal compared to the Bridgestone Blizzaks I was going to get. Under $90 vs. $120 each balenced and installed.

Here is the thread pattern...http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?ti...model=Garit+HT

Although to get that deal, my dad had to buy them at his cost, and I had to do the mounting and balencing...he owns a service station outside of the Twin Cities metro area.

Haven't seen any snow or ice with them on, but they are quiet riding and have "OK" wet traction. I'm sure I'll have a chance to try them out yet this year!
    Last edited by HookedOnCV; 11-16-2003 at 09:08 PM.
    2001 Ford Crown Vic LX Sport
    • AED Intercooled Eaton M90s s/c @9 PSI
    • Fox Lake Stage 1 P&P Heads
    • BBK 75mm Throttle Body
    • Marauder airbox and 80mm MAF
    • Cobra heat exchanger & Lightning intercooler pump
    • Ford Trac-Loc w/ 3.27 gears
    • ADTR Stage 1 Intake tube

Well, here is a pic of the CVPI wheel on my MM. Enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    The CVPI wheels are a heavy version of the base CV/GM steel wheels. For winter use that extra strength may be good to have.

ultravorx you just need some kind of wheel cover now
    Member Number 32

Originally posted by TripleTransAm
    An interesting side note: this isn't the same forum I used to post on for years, and I've been doing a lot of reading over the past 48 hours on both sites. Looks like there's been a serious splintering. I never thought it'd be possible for this to happen to a group of owners of a car model that sold no more than 14000 copies over 2 model years. Kind of scary, when thinking of the scale. Makes one think that maybe it'd be a good idea to do some introspection and think about what each of us needs to do to build a solid community, analyze what it is we're all honestly looking for by belonging to this community.

bigbaga Guest

Arrow Directional Artic Alpins

This week I received my 4 - Artic Alpins mounted to 16" steel wheels with a 52mm offset (haven't installed them yet) and they really look great. These are from Tire Rack. But I have an observation, these tires are directional. I didn't know that. I had planned on rotating at least once per winter, as I had read from others on different threads. Because the fronts are smaller than the rears, it seems that rotating front to front and rear to rear wont be possible without remounting. Hope they wear well!

Greg

Like to thank all for their input about snow tires. I ordered the Artic Alpins and 16" steel wheels and made a list to bring to my tire guy.
    George G
    As much as we love technology, we must be prepared for the inevitable, it fails.

Beadhead Guest
    Quote:

"You couldve saved nearly $200 and gotten properly sized tires with a bit better deep snow handling by going with Artic Alpins."

Most tire dealers do not recommend Arctic Alpins for deep snow use. While they are snow and ice rated, they do not have a sufficiently aggressive tread design for deep snow. A better choice for deep snow would be Pirelli Scopion Ice and Snow tires.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information