Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: tranny

Quote Originally Posted by musclemerc View Post
    Good point Darrin, so you guy's with 2~3 owner cars should consider full service on these higher milage MM's before wanting to hotrod them! It could save you alot of headaches

Quote of the century right there!
    2021 F150 XLT Super Crew short bed - no chrome! - 3.5 Ecoboost 400hp/500tq - 36 Gal tank (600 miles) - 4x4 FX4 Offroad + Max Tow - 3.55 Locker - 10 Speed - Pro Power 2kva - 24mpg @ 80 Ford is still the best.
    03 300A - Number 1727
    - Super Touring - 10k in the best upgrades - 13.8@99 N/A - SOLD
    - STAP was so much fun, loved meeting you all and racing.

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm still hashing this out. I'll let you know what becomes of it.

I was reading about the p1000 code and how to reset that. The xcal3 produced that code yesterday. I'm going to start by resetting the PCM and then go through the official learning process in the manual, and driving the car to my mechanic so he can have a look.

Transmission Shop

Any recommended transmission shops in the Capital Area? O/D light started flashing. I have a Guardian extended warranty. I need to find a good shop that would accept my warranty.

Contact the insurance company, they will help find a shop for you. Visit more than one and make a good choice.

Say your prayers for the Marauder (SAAAAAC). Just admitted her. My SAAAAAC is in good hands! Lets hope my warranty pays out. I'll keep everyone informed of what's going on.

dont tell them you tuned it. put it back to stock and keep your mouth shut or they may not cover it.. ive heard of many people's trannys taking a dump soon after a tune.. since you never did a service to it it was probably hanging on by a thread. the extra line pressure just finnished it off.

Temporarily closed while SAAAAAC works out the issues, at his request. Stay tuned.
    MOK

|Administrator, MM.Net | International Director of Membership|

--------------------------

I don't brake for curves!

The eyes may be the doorway to the soul,

but the voice is the chariot to the heavens

It has been a couple of weeks now and I have my car back and she's running really well. So what had happened was..... Apparently I twisted the splines on the stub shaft. I'm assuming I caught the problem early and I could have snapped the shaft in half much like MrBluGruv did. My extended warranty covered replacing the transmission with one that had been completely rebuilt with OEM parts. No cost to me. I got a new starter out of the deal as well since mine had that dreaded grinding on a cold start. So far so good. They assured me they flushed the system completely and refilled with Mercon V spec fluid. I've now put a Zack tune back on the car and she's running very smooth. Would you believe me if I told you all that I broke the transmission on my 94 caprice Thurs night? Well its true. No 2nd gear. 2 f'd up trannys in less than 2 weeks. She had a good run though. 178,000 miles. I might replace the tranny or buy another beater. I was looking at a nice 2007 Montego. Well here are a couple pictures of my shaft. Thank you all for your advice and assistance.

~Eddie

Last edited by SAAAAAC; 05-03-2010 at 09:50 PM.

Funny thing is I saw the pictures you posted before I saw you mention my name and I thought "man that looks familiar". I wonder if mine was that way and if so how long it was before I actually snapped mine. At any right, nice one on getting it fixed before catastrophic failure. Hope the rebuilt one brings you many many more happy miles.

Well I bet your glad you got that ESP huh? You will also be happy with the Zack tune and you won't have to add timing or screw with anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by SAAAAAC` View Post
    It has been a couple of weeks now and I have my car back and she's running really well. So what had happened was..... Apparently I twisted the splines on the stub shaft. I'm assuming I caught the problem early and I could have snapped the shaft in half much like MrBluGruv did. My extended warranty covered replacing the transmission with one that had been completely rebuilt with OEM parts. No cost to me. I got a new starter out of the deal as well since mine had that dreaded grinding on a cold start. So far so good. They assured me they flushed the system completely and refilled with Mercon V spec fluid. I've now put a Zack tune back on the car and she's running very smooth. Would you believe me if I told you all that I broke the transmission on my 94 caprice Thurs night? Well its true. No 2nd gear. 2 f'd up trannys in less than 2 weeks. She had a good run though. 178,000 miles. I might replace the tranny or buy another beater. I was looking at a nice 2007 Montego. Well here are a couple pictures of my shaft. Thank you all for your advice and assistance.

~Eddie

The reason that shaft twisted is because there are some things that need to be done in the tune to prevent that from happening. That happened on a shift into overdrive at power and it did it several times from the looks of it. Fortunately you happened to catch it before it did it for the last time.

The thing to understand here is that since you know this is happening that if you keep meeting the same conditions without changing what is calling for that shift then the same thing is going to happen again when those conditions are met and the shift is called for.

Are you using the heck out of your OD cancel button whenever your foot feels the need to really press on the long skinny pedal?

Darrin

Actually, from reading your original post on this, it sounds like you did WOT on the stock tune. If so then maybe that is when the majority of that twist happened. I was surprised as hell to see that it did this with a tune in it and that is why I started reading from the beginning again, so hopefully that explains it.

But, it's hard to say for sure from what I read. I am not clear on whether the problem was there with the tune in it and you went back to the stock tune to test, or if you went to the stock tune and then felt something happen that really concerned you.

Darrin

Edit: I also need to say that the problem you were feeling with the transmission wasn't from that shaft being twisted. That in and of itself isn't going to cause the transmission to act differently. It is an effect instead of a cause. And the whole cause of this is really bothering me because you name 2 tunes and I can reasonably assure you that neither of those are going to cause that to happen as far as I know. I have to wonder if either that shaft had been damaged for a long time from when it was being run on the stock tune previously or if maybe it just happened when you went back to the stock tune to test it out. Something isn't adding up there for me. I see those shafts looking like that all the time when guys run the cars hard on a stock tune, but hardly ever when the car is tuned. There is something missing here and without knowing what the rest of the issues were with the transmission then it's all a guessing game.

I can tell you for a fact that I have never seen that happen with a tune from Dennis and from what I have seen with the stuff from Zack recently I am positive his tune wouldn't cause this either. Those aren't endorsements, it's just the facts since you really need to figure out what happened to prevent it from happening again.
    Last edited by Darrin; 05-04-2010 at 05:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    The reason that shaft twisted is because there are some things that need to be done in the tune to prevent that from happening. That happened on a shift into overdrive at power and it did it several times from the looks of it. Fortunately you happened to catch it before it did it for the last time.

The thing to understand here is that since you know this is happening that if you keep meeting the same conditions without changing what is calling for that shift then the same thing is going to happen again when those conditions are met and the shift is called for.

Are you using the heck out of your OD cancel button whenever your foot feels the need to really press on the long skinny pedal?

Darrin
    Darrin, could you elaborate a little more on the things that can be done within the tune to solve this issue? There have been a few tranny fails after installing tunes lately. Some DR, some Lidio. I'm just wondering why this is now occuring when in the past it was unheard of.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Actually, from reading your original post on this, it sounds like you did WOT on the stock tune. If so then maybe that is when the majority of that twist happened. I was surprised as hell to see that it did this with a tune in it and that is why I started reading from the beginning again, so hopefully that explains it.

But, it's hard to say for sure from what I read. I am not clear on whether the problem was there with the tune in it and you went back to the stock tune to test, or if you went to the stock tune and then felt something happen that really concerned you.

Darrin

Edit: I also need to say that the problem you were feeling with the transmission wasn't from that shaft being twisted. That in and of itself isn't going to cause the transmission to act differently. It is an effect instead of a cause. And the whole cause of this is really bothering me because you name 2 tunes and I can reasonably assure you that neither of those are going to cause that to happen as far as I know. I have to wonder if either that shaft had been damaged for a long time from when it was being run on the stock tune previously or if maybe it just happened when you went back to the stock tune to test it out. Something isn't adding up there for me. I see those shafts looking like that all the time when guys run the cars hard on a stock tune, but hardly ever when the car is tuned. There is something missing here and without knowing what the rest of the issues were with the transmission then it's all a guessing game.

I can tell you for a fact that I have never seen that happen with a tune from Dennis and from what I have seen with the stuff from Zack recently I am positive his tune wouldn't cause this either. Those aren't endorsements, it's just the facts since you really need to figure out what happened to prevent it from happening again.
    Darin,

I'm not gonna lie, I did run hard on the stock tune with o/d on. I didn't do it often but I have done it. I also bought the car used with 35,000 miles on it. So it could have been abused before I got it.

I'm not blaming the tunes. But when I put the tune on I felt some bad things going on. That's when I reverted back to stock which didn't really help so then I tried another tune. Basically, I didn't know what I was doing. I'm by no means and expert and I've learned from my mistakes. This is also why I have a broken caprice trans right now as well.

I drove the car home stock from the shop with the rebuilt trans and as soon as I got home I put the tune back on. I haven't gotten into it that much because I'm paranoid now, but when I do, I turn o/d off. Is that a good practice? Or do I have to even worry about it now that I have a fresh trans and tune?

By the way, I called you about purchasing a transmission from you a couple weeks ago. Since the warranty covered this one and it didn't cost me anything I just went with the rebuilt trans. If I break it again, I'll buy a trans from you.

Thanks for your help and advice.
    Last edited by SAAAAAC; 05-04-2010 at 08:07 AM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information