Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Axle seals went

Axle seals went

The axle seal on the passenger side went the other day. I have decent mechanical skills and was wondering if I could attempt this or just fork out the 193 bucks for labor? While I was at it I was going to replace the rear shocks since one of them is a bit squeaky and they are only 33 bucks at autozone. Let me know what you guys think...

Its not hard to do. You'll have to remove the rear diff cover, the caliper and rotor, the ABS sensor has to be remove so you can push the entire axle in. Remove the C clips and pull the axle out. You'll need a seal removal tool on a slap hammer to pull it out and a oversize socket to reinstall.
    Its up to you if you wanna spend the cash.

MERCURY MARAUDER 300A

Build Date
    5/31/02
    Sequence#
    #363 of 7839 Black Marauders
    Dyno tested power
    450 RWHP & 405 RWTQ on 93 octane
    Best 1/4 mile time to date
    12.456@109mph
    Visit my Garage
    Blackened300a's Garage

Thanks blackened300a! Thats exactly what I wanted to hear. Ill get to it sunday afternoon. Taking a trip right now to ford to pick up the parts

I did both sides on mine, it's not that hard.

But - 193 bucks labor isn't a bad price either.
    Ex Panther Owner

Mine just went about 3 weeks ago too. Same side.
    Thought about doing it myself, but didn't have time so I went to the dealer.
    Turned out the axle was shot too, and the leaking fluid trashed my parking brake shoes.
    Turned into a $1100 repair bill. Ouch. Should have done it myself!
    So, be ready, could be more wrong once you open it up.
    Good luck!
    Belle River, Ontario, Canada
    2003 Marauder - Black
    Car #5636 of 7839
    Lidio Tune, K&N CAI

Ouch!! Im sorry man! Im at a loss though because I didnt notice anything was wrong with it because they had it cleaned up when I bought it 5 days ago. and now all these problems are coming out. rear chocks, rotors and pads in the back from the fluid trashing them, and my front passenger sway link is loose too.... its been a headache... quote 988.75 for parts and labor, but considering I JUST bought the car I'm heated that the guy at the dealer cleaned it to make it look like nothings wrong then i see fluid dripping off my back rims two days later

Sounds like mine - just bought it in Oct., and the guy I bought mine from must have had the rear air bags pumped up when I bought it, because a week later I realized the compressor was shot, and now that it's warm, I've noticed the a/c is gone too.
    Real popular car with my wife. Ha ha.
    2003 Marauder - Black
    Car #5636 of 7839
    Lidio Tune, K&N CAI

MMarauder03, what is the build date of your car? Bad axles in early-build 300A cars are quite common. Fortunately, Rock Auto sells Dorman axles that come with everything you need except fluid for about $120 each.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

I'm not sure of the build date but it is a 300a. I actually met up with aconvertedchevy in heavy traffic today and he offered to help me out since he has access to a 4 post lift. I guess it's up to me but should I go with the new axles or just replace the seals and bearings for $10.55 a side from ford? What would the pros be for the axles? Or should I just do the seals and fresh oil and use the leftover money for my exhaust and shocks?

I asked the technician if we should do both axles while they were in there, and he said that usually the passenger side goes, and the drivers side doesn't have too many issues.
    If you're already in there, you may want to do it.
    Hope that helps.
    2003 Marauder - Black
    Car #5636 of 7839
    Lidio Tune, K&N CAI

This one is a tough call.

If you aren't hearing any rumbling or roaring sounds or otherwise showing any symptoms, your axles may be fine. The unfortunate part is that the only way to tell if one is starting to wear excessively is to pull them out, which you have to do to replace the seal anyway. If one IS bad, then you either need to leave the car apart until the replacement arrives, or put it all back together and do it all over again later.

jeffrt, that's exactly what I found on Phoebe...the driver's side was fine, the passenger's side was toast.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Hmm... well I guess you make money to spend money. lol I'll probably end up replacing the axle at the dealer seeing as how that IS covered by the warranty, I'll point him in the right direction for the axle and see what he says.

Replaced it myself. Cost 47 dollars all oem parts from ford. No more leakage!

Quote Originally Posted by MMarauder03 View Post
    Replaced it myself. Cost 47 dollars all oem parts from ford. No more leakage!
    Nice! Not too hard at all.

MERCURY MARAUDER 300A

Build Date
    5/31/02
    Sequence#
    #363 of 7839 Black Marauders
    Dyno tested power
    450 RWHP & 405 RWTQ on 93 octane
    Best 1/4 mile time to date
    12.456@109mph
    Visit my Garage
    Blackened300a's Garage

I keep my drivers side axle for track purposes. If a member or my self were to snap a 28 spline, we could have it drivable in thirty minutes. Nice to have an extra with ya, you will never see a jeep group on the trail without a few extras amongst them.
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information