Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there a specified interval for timing chain replacement?

Is there a specified interval for timing chain replacement?

I haven't really heard too much about a manufacturer's specified interval for this, but with my 03 Marauder's engine approaching 160k, thoughts about deeper maintainence are entering my mind. I can find threads here regarding tensioners and r/r the chain for cam installs, but nothing really stating what the chain replacement interval is, if there even is one. I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't simply because chains require a lot less maintainence than belts.

Thanks for any info.
    Black 03 Marauder
    93 Reef Blue Mustang LX Coupe - LQ9/T56 Swap underway

They dont wear out or stretch if you have maintained your engine.

Cliff notes: Dont worry unless something breaks.

What about the chain guides...??

the timing tensioner guides do indeed wear. some of the people over on www.crownvic.net have killed their engines when these went out. the most common failure mode seems to be that the chains wear through the guides putting lots of nylon & aluminum debris into the oiling system. less frequently, the engines "jump time" letting the pistons hit the valves.

but keep in mind that most of these cars are old police cruisers with huge amounts of idling time. picking up a used 100k mile police cruiser with 10k idle hours is not unheard of.

Quote Originally Posted by DJCV View Post
    What about the chain guides...??

My timing chain issue

My timing chain guides went bad on my 2004 MM. I bought the car used at 54,000 miles and at about 70,000 I started hearing a LOUD clanking noise at start up. I finally got my mechanic to pull the timing system apart and he pulled the guides. He compared them to the new guides and the plastic/ rubber was completely gone . The chain was rubbing against the metal guide every single time I started the engine. The chain actually filed the metal guide down to conform to it's shape. Thankfully I am really strict on oil changes and changed my oil enough for it not to get any metal in the engine (I hope). I don't know why or how the rubber was removed but I thought I would share my story. So the moral of this story is.....i got my timing chain guide fixed! Thanks for reading. Hope this helps.

make sure that you get all the nylon particles out of the oiling system. you will have engine failure shortly after if your pickup strainer in the oil pan gets plugged up. these particles can also wedge in other places like in the passages to the crankshaft bearings and camshafts too.

here's an oil flow diagram for the 4.6L sohc crownvic engine. i'm suspecting that the 4.6L dohc engines have the same setup.

if the timing guide wear is extreme, you can also wear down into the pin that holds the tensioners to the engine block. this is really troublesome because the retainer pin is not removeable and your new timing chain guides won't install properly with a damaged block pin.

is it hard to remove the covers? maybe I should have a look at mine, sometimes I get a little bit of a rattle at a cold start up. does the oil pan need to come off.

if you're getting a little noise on startup, you might try switching over to the ford motorcraft fl820s oil filter. the drainback valve in these often helps eliminate timing chain chatter on startup. here's an ssm about this topic:

"21049 1997-2010 MULTIPLE VEHICLE - 4.6L/5.4L - ENGINE TICKING AND/OR RATTLE NOISE
    MULTIPLE VEHICLE LINES WITH 4.6L OR 5.4L ENGINE MAY EXPERIENCE AN ENGINE TICKING OR RATTLE NOISE THAT SOUNDS LIKE A STUCK TAPPET (HLA). THIS MAY BE DUE TO THE DETERIORATION OF AN AFTERMARKET OIL FILTER. VEHICLES WITH THIS CONDITION HAVE LOW OIL PRESSURE AT ONE CYLINDER HEAD ONLY, WHILE MAIN PRESSURES ARE NORMAL. DISLODGED MATERIAL FROM THE AFTERMARKET OIL FILTER BLOCKS THE CAM CAP OIL PASSAGE, EITHER AT CYLINDER #4 (RIGHT BANK REAR) OR CYLINDER #5 (LEFT BANK FRONT). FOR VCT EQUIPPED ENGINES, INSPECT THE VCT VALVE BODY AND THE OIL PASSAGES UNDER THE FIRST CAM CAP. DAMAGE TO ENGINES CAUSED BY AFTERMARKET OIL FILTERS ARE NOT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY.
    EFFECTIVE DATE: 10/22/2009 "

and here's a link to a bulletin about the fl820s media length change:

http://www.p71interceptor.com/misc/fl820s

That's all I ever use. I'm thinking 160'000 miles its probably time for chain guides.. I just hope I don't have to pull the oil pan.

Quote Originally Posted by 4play View Post
    That's all I ever use. I'm thinking 160'000 miles its probably time for chain guides.. I just hope I don't have to pull the oil pan.
    It is normal to replace the timing chain assembly and the oil pump when the engine is rebuilt.

Marauders have the engine go out (lose compression) between 130,000 and 200,000 miles based on the rear end ratio, if the driver down-shifts alot, and has a lead foot. Of course if the Marauder was drag raced it is good for 1,000 trips down the quarter mile,(according to testing on one). Due to manufacturing variability, some parts go out early.

If the timing chain is not making noise, I recommend you replace it when you have other major engine work done.

Jim
    Last edited by JimmyXR7; 06-12-2010 at 06:19 AM. Reason: clarification

Pinging noise when changing gears

When my transmission shifts... Especially when accelerating on the highway, a big pinging noise succession happens... Any ideas? Loose chains?

At 197000 I am over due I know it needs to be done.
    How long does it take to do the job & are there any special tools needed ?
    Last edited by burt ragio; 05-19-2013 at 11:00 AM.
    2004 marauder black purchased new. Sold 9/16 at 297,000 miles. Still ran strong didn't burn a drop of oil.
    2003 marauder black 28,000 miles all stock. Garage Queen.
    2004 marauder red daily driver.

No "special" tools. I think you've got about everything needed. If you want to tackle it some weekend I'd be happy to assist.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information