Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extreme Makeover -1 Bad Merc-3rd edition-(Long)

Extreme Makeover -1 Bad Merc-3rd edition-(Long)

Just got the phone call I have been waiting eagerly for today -1 Bad Merc is up and running! For those of you who dont know the saga, you can go and read about my past adventures trying to supercharge my car. The title is the same except for 3rd edition which I just added.

To give you a brief idea what has happened, I bought a Trilogy supercharger and had it put on my stock motor. I barely got the car home and I had a major rod knock even though I had only 20,000 pretty easy miles on the car. We guessed the main bearings went because my wife would drive the car to the train about 5 minutes away and the car did not really warm up thus inducing premature wear. My cousin was a Ford Master Mechanic for years and when the motor went bad he stepped in and talked to some people and we were able to get the motor warrantied. This was great but we had to return the motor to stock (remove everything, Trilogy, PD coated valve covers, headers, cut-outs, etc>) dimensions. The dealership pulled the engine apart and could not find out why the bearings went bad-as it was all of them! Oil pump did not let loose and their was no detonation as I always ran 93 octane. New motor put in June of last year, my cousin put on the Trilogy and other parts but we had problems with the tune/tuner. Could not get the car to shift right and sometimes the speedometer would go away. Could not really drive the car like this as it had no real tune so I put it away for the winter. I had run out of money by this time.

Our story picks up earlier this year as I tried again to get the car sorted out so I could make the Kentucky run. Bob Kurgan was gracious enough to send me a rich base tune that worked in the computer so I could get the car up to him in Rockford to tune it on the dyno. Took the car earlier in the day to get some parts and as I was returning home (never took the car over 50mph) I watched in amazement as my oil pressure gauge went to zero! Not again I thought as I heard the familiar rod knock sound! Needless to say their went motor #2!

Now I was stuck as I had no money, a car that I have driven for maybe two hours in two years- and supremely ticked off would put it mildly. I had pricing from when the first motor went to build a stroker motor so I had a rough idea what it would cost. I was tired of the going to different places to have it done and I leaned on some of the membership here -Thanks Tallboy, Mike and MikesMerc- for their advice on what I should do. They all told me, along with some other friends, to talk to Lidio.

I have been in conversations with Lidio in the past and he was always cordial enough to talk to me about the problems I had and make suggestions. I finally picked up the phone again and called him and told him about engine #2 and all the stuff I had been going through. He knew I was a member that was really down and during our conversations he offered to build me a motor! I told him I was laid-off and I was in the process of selling my 32 REO Speedwagon Coupe (which I did) and could probably come up with only x-amount of money. Knowing my budget he assured me we could do something and he recommended the smaller aluminum stroker motor-with the crower cams. Sounded like a good idea and to cut to the chase I towed the car up to Lidio's and dropped it off in Mid May.

We had some delays on getting pistons and some other parts but a couple of weeks ago Lidio pulled the 2nd motor out and did an investigation and found out that all the bearings were gone in this motor too! Lidio then advised he had found sand in the oil pan We have now deduced that when I had the valve covers sandblasted and powder-coated that sand got stuck in the little crevasses and probably under the rubber and when the hot oil hit it caused them to break loose and go into the motor. This sand then ground down the bearings and toasted them in no time! Now how it got into the second motor I am not sure as my old oil pan could have been used or the PD valvecovers still had some sand residue which took out the second engine. I hope this serves as a warning to everyone to clean the crap out of your valvecovers after having them coated. It's hard to believe that such a simple little thing like this could take out two motors- but it did and cost me big money.

Now we jump too today when Lidio called me and advised me the new motor made 445 HP on 93 pump gas at the rear wheels on the dyno. He then opened up the header dumps, ran it again and I gained another incredible 20 hp to max out at 465HP! For some reason this motor likes the open exhaust as Lidio was a little bit surprised it gained so much. This motor should make alot more HP when Lidio puts the tune on it for race gas. It seems that I am running out of air way before I need to worry about stressing this motor .

This is not the big bore 5.3 motor or whipple equipped car but a really healthy aluminum 4.6 Trilogy set-up stroker motor. Of course I would have liked to go bigger but due to budget restraints this turned out to be a fantastic bargain for the HP. Plus the car has that nice Rump, rump sound that we all like to hear. Lidio did take a movie of it, uncorked and on the dyno but he is pretty busy and will email to me so I can post it up. I might have to grab Justbob to come over and show me how

I would like to also take a moment to thank some other people who helped me with the car - Zack, Bob Kurgan, Justbob, Richy04, my cousin and my Dad (who had to listen to me complain and _itch for the past year!).

I would really like to say a big thank you to Lidio at Alternative Automotive for taking care of me and building me a car I always dreamed of. After all the problems I went through the past two years it is nice to finally see the light at the end of the tunnel!

I will have the car for the July 2 run to Dukes and for the Chicago Heights Car Show and Burnout on July 3rd. It feels great to say that

Now my last problem hopefully is to find a way from the Detroit airport to Lidio's on Friday. Does anyone feel like a roadtrip to Lidio's? Just let me know -gas and lunch would be on me of course!

Charlene

DOB -5/26/03
    # 7525 of 7838 for 2003
    She is # 261 of 417 -Silver Birch

Trilogy #188
    5.0 Lidio Stroker Motor
    466 HP/ 443 TQ
    "On a conservative 93 Octane tune!"

Ed "Baaad GN" Linthicum
    RIP 8-6-2014
    I love you dad!

What a NIGHTMARE... Glad things worked out for the good & you're pleased with the out come. Once again Lidio does wonderful things. Thanks for the update, see you soon.

When I installed YOUR valve covers I specifically looked for dirt and found none....I do this after every powdercoating job. They didnt even have the baffles on them so where is dirt going to collect?

Glad the car is running again.
    Last edited by Zack; 06-24-2010 at 07:39 AM.

Blog Entries
    I have looked at buying several cars in the past. If there is any evidence it was sand blasted I have passed on it.

There are too many ways for sand to get in and too many ways to keep it from getting back out.

Yes, some sand blast a car in lieu of removing the particular part and sand blasting that part. They brag about the "great paint job", and that is usually all that is "great" about the car.
    1/4 Mile Time 11.542 @ 121.19 MPH
    195,000 Miles & 275+ Runs Down the 1,320’
    541.57 RWHP & 476.64 RWTQ on DynoJet
    Tuned by Aric at Injected Engineering
    Vortech Super Charger V-2 “T” Trim, 19 PSI
    8 Rib Belt, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Dampner
    Air to Air Intercooler, Mini-race Bypass
    Ford Cobra Remanufactured Long Block
    Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection
    Kooks Headers & X Pipe
    GT MAF, 60lb injectors, Dash 8, Aero Rails, Twin Ford GT Pumps,
    Kinsler Fuel Filter, Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump
    Monroe Sensatrac, Metco Control Arms, Addco Rear Sway Bar
    31 Ford Spline Axles & Detroit Truetrac, 4:10 Ford Racing Gears
    Dynotech MMC Driveshaft
    A-1 Performance Trans, Forced Tailshaft Lube, Carbon Clutches
    3,500 RPM Stall Precision Industries Torque Converter
    B&M Deep Finned Trans Pan
    AeroForce Scan Gauges , Auto Meter Oil, Fuel & Boost Gauges
    Kenny Brown Dead Pedal, 35% Tint, Silver Star Head Lights
    AutoPage Alarm RS-727LCD, Boston Acoustic NX87

Dam you have been to hell and back. I wish nothing but a cost free ride and great cruising in the days ahead.
    2004 marauder black purchased new. Sold 9/16 at 297,000 miles. Still ran strong didn't burn a drop of oil.
    2003 marauder black 28,000 miles all stock. Garage Queen.
    2004 marauder red daily driver.

I'll drive you!

Just let me know when and I'll see if I can.
    "Bye Bye, Johnny B. Goode."

Quote Originally Posted by Motorhead350 View Post
    I'll drive you!

Just let me know when and I'll see if I can.
    Answer my PM and you will have dependable transportation.
    Excess in Moderation.

Sprinkles are for winners.

I dont know Zack -it just seems so weird that the bearings were wiped out in the first motor and then the second motor had sand in it and the bearings were wiped in it too. It was like Deja Vu as I never beat on either motor and barely drove them. The only thing we could think of/come up with for the sand being in the motor was the powder coating of the valve covers. If you have another idea please let me know as this is turning into one heck of a mystery.

Charlene

DOB -5/26/03
    # 7525 of 7838 for 2003

Trilogy #188
    5.0 Lidio Stroker Motor
    466 HP/ 443 TQ

Ed "Baaad GN" Linthicum
    RIP 8-6-2014
    I love you dad!

im not buying the media left over from PC either. the stuff isnt like glue, a few blasts with compressed air would blow 99% of it off. followed by a good rinse and you are good to go. especially if the baffles were removed, there is nothing for the sand to hide in.
    2010 fusion se

The wild thing is I looked at the powder coated valve covers, gave them to Zack to install and he checked them and then on the second motor my cousin also checked them again when he installed them. Maybe the first motor just went bad and the second motor was not a good Ford rebuilt and they did not rinse it out very good hence the crap in the bottom of the pan. I dont know but I do know the car is back up and running and I am very happy!

Charlene

DOB -5/26/03
    # 7525 of 7838 for 2003

Trilogy #188
    5.0 Lidio Stroker Motor
    466 HP/ 443 TQ

Ed "Baaad GN" Linthicum
    RIP 8-6-2014
    I love you dad!

Hi PoppaJ-I have responded to your PM and I really appreciate this my friend! I have sent the flight info to you along with my cell #. To say I am really excited is an understatement.

Dom -thank you for your very kind offer but I have already purchased the airline ticket a couple of days ago.

Thanks again to all my friends who have helped me, worked with me and basically put up with me through this whole ordeal. I do really appreciate it!
    Last edited by 1 Bad Merc; 06-24-2010 at 08:41 AM.

Charlene

DOB -5/26/03
    # 7525 of 7838 for 2003

Trilogy #188
    5.0 Lidio Stroker Motor
    466 HP/ 443 TQ

Ed "Baaad GN" Linthicum
    RIP 8-6-2014
    I love you dad!

Your first engine looked like it had 600,000 miles on it when I took the cam covers off.
    The 2nd engine is installer error or bad luck.

There was no Powdercoating residue or sand in the valve covers, so you can rule that out.

Blog Entries
    When silica is found in an oil sample the Lab advises to look for an air leak or filtration issue.
    1/4 Mile Time 11.542 @ 121.19 MPH
    195,000 Miles & 275+ Runs Down the 1,320’
    541.57 RWHP & 476.64 RWTQ on DynoJet
    Tuned by Aric at Injected Engineering
    Vortech Super Charger V-2 “T” Trim, 19 PSI
    8 Rib Belt, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Dampner
    Air to Air Intercooler, Mini-race Bypass
    Ford Cobra Remanufactured Long Block
    Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection
    Kooks Headers & X Pipe
    GT MAF, 60lb injectors, Dash 8, Aero Rails, Twin Ford GT Pumps,
    Kinsler Fuel Filter, Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump