• Yes

15 50.00%
  • No

4 13.33%
  • Indifferent

7 23.33%
  • Eye's da bye!

1 3.33%
  • What is this hockey thing of which you speak?

3 10.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best day this year.

Talking Best day this year.

Totally Marauder unrelated, but Canuckleheads will relate...

I was just given tickets to the <a href='http://www.heritagehockeyclassic.com/'>Heritage Classic.</a> I had to share before I explode!

For those that don't know, the Heritage Classic will be the first outdoor NHL game ever. It'll be between the Edmonton Oilers and Montreal Canadiens, but it will be preceded by an 'Oldtimers' match between the Edmonton Oilers and the Montreal Canadiens alumni. Only about 5000 tickets were made available to the public, and those were awarded by random draw. The rest went to seasons tickets holders. The company I work for sponsors the building where the Oilers play, so we have the best box in the house + 20 seasons tickets.

So, one last time I get to see the Gretzky, Kurri, Tikanen line score. Rumours are that Mark Messier will suit up too. Greats like Guy LaFleur (possibly Guy Carbenneau and Patric Roy are rumoured too...) will play for the Habs. (Montreal Canadiens -> Habitants -> "Habs")

They started converting Commonwealth stadium after the Edmonton Eskimos won the western division and headed to the Grey Cup (to win!!) last week. 60,000 screaming fans to enjoy the way hockey is supposed to be played, outside on a pond. No billion dollar salaries.

No one's really saying who's playing for either side..but it's gonna ROCK! I'm gonna be sooooo drunk!
    2003 Marauder 300eh - Stock

Born: 12/03/2002
    Adopted 02/17/2003

Trilogy #243

AVIC D3
    SS Inserts.
    Metco Control arms and Watts link.
    QA1 8 way adjustable shocks and struts.
    Addco front and rear anti-roll bars.
    Wilwood front brakes.

I can't drive 55. I'm looking forward to not being able to drive 75 ether.

You are soooooo Lucky. Man I wish I could be there, take lots of pictures. I have been a Hockey fan for 30 yrs now. I would love to see Guy LaFleur and Guy Carbenneau play again. WOW. I did get to see Gordie Howe play once, when he was with the Hartford Whalers, he played with his two sons. Good Luck and have fun and dress warm.
    Saorsa gu Brath
    (Freedon Forever)

Si vis pacem para bellum
    (If you want peace, prepare for war)

Μολὼν λαβέ
    (Come and take them)

Stann saam of sterf allen
    (Stand together or die alone)

Audentis Fortuna Iuvat
    (Fortune Favors the Brave)

Antes morrer livres que em paz sujeitos
    (Rather die as free men than be enslaved in peace)

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants alike. It is the tree's natural manure." -Thomas Jefferson

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

The Constitution guarantees our rights as American citizens, the 2nd Amendment protects those rights

"THE BLACK BOMBER"

If you can get it in your area, CBC will be broadcasting it in HDTV! First ever broadcast in HDTV too!

Thanks man, won't need to dress. Lots of beer and scotch.

Adopted 02/17/2003

Trilogy #243

AVIC D3
    SS Inserts.
    Wilwood front brakes.

I'd love to be there, too! It should be a heck of a party. Maybe you can take a couple of photos and post them after.

I'll try to take pics. It'll be tough to focus though :-)

Adopted 02/17/2003

Trilogy #243

AVIC D3
    SS Inserts.
    Wilwood front brakes.

TripleTransAm Guest
    You G*******d Son of a b*tch...

(ahem... sorry, I'll pull myself together)

Enjoy the match. I'll be watching, here in warm +10 C Montreal.

Don't forget to doodle up one of those great big banners saying "GREETINGS TO ALL at MM.NET" and wave it in front of the cameras!

"GREETINGS TO ALL at MM.NET"
    <sub>except Steve</sub>

Adopted 02/17/2003

Trilogy #243

AVIC D3
    SS Inserts.
    Wilwood front brakes.

TripleTransAm Guest
    Feel the love...

better still... get all your buddies to spell it out with letters on their chests-

TripleTransAm Guest
    Originally posted by MapleLeafMerc
    better still... get all your buddies to spell it out with letters on their chests-
    Make sure they are female buddies, too. Preferably of "model" proportions (hey, Pamela Andersson did originate from our western regions). I don't mind not being able to make out a few letters here and there...

UGHHHHHHHH!!!,
    Just what I needed to put me off my food, the visual of rabid hockey fans with ))))shudder(((( chests painted.......
    <as I throw the rest of my breakfast in the garbage>
    ============================== ===
    Forget directions, I need to file a flight plan
    ============================== ===

Originally posted by TripleTransAm
    Make sure they are female buddies, too. Preferably of "model" proportions (hey, Pamela Andersson did originate from our western regions). I don't mind not being able to make out a few letters here and there...
    Yep, Vancouver IIRC.

I don't know about getting anyone to go topless for more than a few seconds. It's snowing to beat the band (the band got run over by a snowplow) and Saturday is expected to be -11c, but I'll sure try! I swear that some of the women that work here are candidates for 'trophy' wives!

But it will be just perfect for pond hockey!

Guy Lafleur, Larry Robinson, Claude Lemieux are all here for the Habs. More to arrive today. Wayne Gretzky, Mark Messier, Dave Hunter, Dave Semenko, Yarri Kurri, Kevin Lowe (current Oliers Coach), Randy Gregg are all here for the Oilers. They held a practice skate yesterday.

Best like I heard yet from Dave Hunter - "Yea, some of are a little out of shape. Of course the game will be competetive, it'll just be <i>slow</i> and competetive."

My seats will be in the grandstand, to the south. (top left in the second pic) Bottom right in that pic are the beer tents.

http://www.edmontonoilers.com/albums...etup2/20_G.jpg
    http://www.edmontonoilers.com/albums...1/DSCN5493.jpg
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200.../notes.column/

Adopted 02/17/2003

Trilogy #243

AVIC D3
    SS Inserts.
    Wilwood front brakes.

Cool Wow.

What a great time. Sorry for not posting earlier - been busy.

Just some thoughts. . .

The start of festivities was cool, overfly by the Snowbirds, and a CF-18.

I was too far away to see the puck, but the players easily made up for it. I took lots of pictures, but at -25C my camera (digital) froze and lost all the pics.

The stadium looked spectacular. Like someone dropped a frozen pond in the middle of the stadium. We got there around 1 in the afternoon, and it was chilly, but I had on 4 layers of clothing, including insulated coveralls. I heard later that only 7 people (out of 60,000) suffered any hypothermia or exposure. I had lots of 'antifreeze' (Laphroaig) that I smuggled in my insulated chair cushion.

Tom Cochrane did a fantastic performance of his hit "Big Leauge", which was appropriate

One guy ran across the stadium wearing *only* a toque and one sock, strategically placed. What a nutcase.

Biggest suprise of the evening: Paulina Gretzky, daughter of Wayne and Janet. She's only 14, looks like her mom (Janet Jones) did, and what a voice! She sang "I will remember You". In a few years, watch out! She's gonna be a real looker! Unlike Shania last year at the Grey Cup, Paulina actually sang!

We were there till after 9 pm, when the fireworks were over.

The Legends Game:

1 Hour long. The place went *nuts* when they introduced the Oilers, and the volume went from roar to Deafening when #99 was introduced. Same for the Habs, and when Lafleur was introduced.

It was a spectacular game. Classic. Even at the mid point, when the old pond hockey rule "You play on it, you clean it" applied, Gretzky, Fuhr, Lafleur, Coffe - all of 'em grabbed a showshovel and and cleaned off the ice. No Zamboni for those guys!

The even had a mic on Glenn Sather and caught a conversation between him and the slightly overweight Dave Hunter:
    G Sather: " How's the Ice?"
    D Hunter: "A little chippy"
    G Sather: " Chippy? Are you sure you're just not too heavy for the ice?"
    D Hunter: "He he he"
    G Sather: "Skate Softer!"

The 'Enforcer" Semenko even made a faux-drop down on Lafleur, and almost checked Lafleur into the boards, just for old times sake.

Fuhr made some classic saves, and I got to hear "Gretzky to Tikkannan, Tikkannan back to Gretzky over to Semenko" with out the "*scoooores**" one last time. Score was classic too, Montreal made 40 shots on net, Fuhr and Ranford held them scoreless. 2-0 final for the Oilers.

The regular game:

Fast! Clean! Totally unpredictable!

Most players were on a 30 second rotation, rather than 1 minute. Can't say as I blame them, it was cold! There was talk that if the wind picked up, the game would be postponed until the next day and played indoors. But the guys played it!

There were no fights, and very little rough play. Again, getting hit at all when it's that cold just amplifies it, so the game went fast!

The ice was so cold, the puck so cold, it was totally unpredictable. Mostly the play was to just dump it in, go to the corner and get the puck. Trying to pass it or board it wasn't working because of the cold.

Jose Theodore stole the night when he wore a <a href='http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2003/11/22/Sports/outdoor031122'>toque </a> over his goalie's mask. It was totally classic.

It ended 4-3 for the Habs.

I did take a "Hi MM.NET" sign, with the mm.net logo on it, but I recorded the game and watched it again and again. I don't think it made it into the broadcast. At least not the CBC broadcast. And only CBC had the rights...

And no, I didn't put the "Except Steve" on it

Adopted 02/17/2003

Trilogy #243

AVIC D3
    SS Inserts.
    Wilwood front brakes.

Sounds like you saw a couple of great games- what a treat to see Gretzky, Lafleur, etc one more time. Too bad about the pictures, but your description makes it easy to imagine.

"One guy ran across the stadium wearing *only* a toque and one sock, strategically placed."

Where was Steve last Saturday?

I am sooooooo jealous. Sounds like a great time, and to get to see "99" on the ice again. I can understand why you called it the best day this year! And the added bonus of seeing Steve in his toque and favorite sock.....
    300A
    born 08-27-02
    Adjusted air in and air out.
    400+ timeslips.

When in doubt, GAS IT! This will either fix the problem, or end the suspense.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information