Thread: Cam Position Sensor Replacement

Cam Position Sensor Replacement

I'm running Trilogy on my car and getting a Check Engine on the Cam Position Sensor. It's failing and I need to replace it. Can someone point me to technical write up or other info on this job? Can I do it myself (any special tools needed)? Thanks in advance!

You need to take the alternator relocation bracket off and the sensor is right there.
    I recommend taking it out and checking for metal/particle build-up on the sensor before buying a new one.

You can also clear the code...it may never come back

Thank you, Zack! I have been clearing the code for about a year (only drive 2K miles a year). So I can just pull it, replace it and not need to worry about the actual position of the cam or the position of the part (not sure what it even looks like or what moving parts are on the sensor, if any). Thanks again.

Aren't there 2 cam sensors in the engine?
    (#6178 in black per FPIC)
    Call 1-800-FORD-788 and press "1". Have the last 6 of your VIN handy. You will get the numbers for FREE. You'll pay $$$ for the certificate.

MM traded in 8/9/13 @ 128909 miles. It was fun for almost 8 years. I met airmercpun on 1/17/14. He was the new owner of my former ride. -Now gone.

Update: back in the game with a late build 03 GMGS with some MM add ons like Escape audiophile radio w/Sirius sat radio, rear sway bar, catback exhaust, and header panel.

Rest In Peace:
    Alex "Marauderboi" Vachon 3/2/92-8/13/10
    Paula Babineau 1/9/67-8/2/11
    Rex Weinbender
    Peter

See my garage file for part numbers and whatnot.

IMHO, this site- the members that I chat with- and the ones that I now Hang with- are like my 2nd family. There is such an ongoing welcome feeling here that even members who don't or no longer own the MM can feel.

Only one cam sensor on a Mod Motor.

One 8mm bolt holds the sensor in place.....Simple R&R but check for damaged wiring first in the area or where you extended wires when installing the T-Kit.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Only one cam sensor on a Mod Motor.

One 8mm bolt holds the sensor in place.....Simple R&R but check for damaged wiring first in the area or where you extended wires when installing the T-Kit.
    Thanx for the clarification, Zack.
    (#6178 in black per FPIC)
    Call 1-800-FORD-788 and press "1". Have the last 6 of your VIN handy. You will get the numbers for FREE. You'll pay $$$ for the certificate.

MM traded in 8/9/13 @ 128909 miles. It was fun for almost 8 years. I met airmercpun on 1/17/14. He was the new owner of my former ride. -Now gone.

Update: back in the game with a late build 03 GMGS with some MM add ons like Escape audiophile radio w/Sirius sat radio, rear sway bar, catback exhaust, and header panel.

Rest In Peace:
    Alex "Marauderboi" Vachon 3/2/92-8/13/10
    Paula Babineau 1/9/67-8/2/11
    Rex Weinbender
    Peter

See my garage file for part numbers and whatnot.

IMHO, this site- the members that I chat with- and the ones that I now Hang with- are like my 2nd family. There is such an ongoing welcome feeling here that even members who don't or no longer own the MM can feel.

The other is the crank timing sensor down low on the pass side pointing at the crank pulse wheel.
    11.931 @ 116.33 (MT ET Streets)
    12.073 @ 118.43 (Nitto 555)

I love the smell of Nitromethane and rubber in the morning!
    Drag racers prayer:
    As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen

I have this same issue.

Camshaft Position Sensor code is thrown every time I drive the car.

I replaced the sensor, but it didn't help. I suspect a discontinuity in the wiring.

DeadVic -- Did replacing the sensor fix your issue?
    Yours truly,
    Meteorite - Royal Oak, Michigan

2003 300A - Black VIN = xxxxxxxxxxx600051 *** Build Date = 3/13/2002
    Best e.t. -- 12.31 @ 111.5 mph *** Now with: Trilogy #220, Alternative Auto Performance Tune + 4.10 Gears +SW headers + Metco control arms + Addco front and rear sta-bars + Dynotech Metal Matrix Driveshaft + Weldcraft widened wheels & MT drag radials.

2003 300B - Blue

And now ... 2003 Black (Trilogy #58)

1962 Mercury Meteor & 1963 Mercury Meteor

nope. it was intermittent. only happened once out of every ten times I drove the car. mostly when ambient temp was above 90 degrees. i suspected it had to do with wiring harness. 300a models were known to have a chaffing issue near back side of the block. it never became enough of a concern to address beyond changing the sensor. i no longer own the car.

Cam Position Sensor Replacement

WOW! Holy old thread AND A RESPONSE from the OP in four hours!!!

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Thread Information