Thread: First Look at a 2004

First Look at a 2004

Today, I stopped at looked at a 2004 (silver birch with the light flint interior). Sundays are great because no sales weasels are out bugging you and you can stroll around the lot like you own the place. Anywho, Champion had a new 2004 out by the street in a prime spot (kudos), the only one in their inventory. I think they are being very conservative about their inventory of MM's, but it's encouraging to see they haven't completely blown the car off.

I like the silver color, and may have chosen it had it been available when I bought. I am not so sure about the light flint seats, though (when the leather creases from use it will show dirt, just as the "parchment" leather in my Taurus did). I rather like the things in my 300A, and like the look of the flush gas door over the decontented door. I hate the short console. I use the tag holder all the time and appreciate the storage for sunglasses.
    I saw one thing that has to be a mistake. The door skins are charcoal, just like in my black car. But the plug that covers the screw undeneath the door handle on this car was... light flint plastic!! Yuk! A huge dot right under the door handle. I would order a charcoal screw cover in a heartbeat if I bought this car.

One thing I did like was the brake calipers were painted black. Now, I don't know if this was the dealer or the factory, but they looked way better than whatever was painted on my car... or the 2003 300B model Champion had sitting in front of its used car section. (Speaking of which, this 300B had only 100 miles on the clock more than my car... and I mean exactly to the tenth of a mile. 13,701.4 miles. And whoever owned it had an extremely well done tint job applied that looks >very< good.)

There was a guy there looking over the GM's when I pulled up who asked a few questions about my car, how I liked it and so on. He didn't understand why the MM was so much more expensive than the GM, so I gave him a brief rundown. You could see a far away look in his eyes, which he shook off and said his wife would NEVER go for the car. I pointed towards the used MM and said he probably could get a great deal on that used, low mileage MM over there. I even saw him looking at the used GM's later, but my guess is the MM was just not destined for his future.
    Still, I told him there were amazing rebates or low financing and wished him luck. I suggested he at least give the MM a test drive, even if it he would never buy it.... just for the experience.

Maybe he'll convince momma...

Donny-I have the interior in my DTR 04 that you are talking about and all the trim pieces are the same color. The one you saw is another factory boo boo. The funniest factory whoops that I've seen so far was an 03 on the dealers lot a while back that had one GM headlight and one Marauder blacked out headlight. It either looked like Popeye or like it was winking at you!!! :
    Mike aka "RedMM" 2004 MERCURY MARAUDER aka"Raudey"(born on 09/30/03 came home on 10/23/03)Dark Toreador Red

2004 MERCURY MONTEREY PREMIER aka"MONTY"(born on 05/26/04 came home on 06/30/04)Norcea

Hey Donny, I got mine at Champion, I think maybe they are figuring that they can seel a few more. I have the flint interior, no problems. Do you take yours to Champion for service?
    2004 Silver Birch MM

Thread Information